WATER THERAPY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WATER THERAPY

I NOTICED THAT I WALK MORE UNSTABLE AFTER I GET OUT OF THE POOL. SHOULD I ASK THE PT TO ADJUST MY WORK OUT OR SHOULD THE PT KNOW THAT I SHOULD NOT BE D0ING AS MANY EXERCISES BECAUSE I BECOME MORE UNSTABLE AFTER I GET OUT OF THE POOL? I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! GIVE ME SOME SUGGESTIONS!

Wt

Im supposed to start water therapy after I heal enough from my relapse so I can't answer your question, but can you tell me what to expect?
    RRMS 10/2011 Sick and tired of being sick and tired!

Comment

Could it be the temperature of the pool? Even though it may not feel like a high temperature, working out in the pool will cause your body temp to rise.

Can you try cooling off before getting out of the pool? Maybe when your workout is finished, just hang out in the shallow end with most of your body out of the water or sit on the steps of the pool and gradually get out.

Jen
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Therapy in the water is a great way for improving range of motion, endurance, strength and more.

Important tips for these exercises:
        If getting into heated water -Warm temperature, not hot;
        Do not perform exercises that increase body temperature;
        Warm up when and cool down before getting out

Be careful with fatigue. Although you may not notice it (or as much of it ) in the water due to the buoyancy, you may feel it once out of the water.

Another important fact to remember is once you get out of the pool, you have to deal with gravity. Gravity is a weight to your body. When you try to stand upright, it is pushing you down, try to lift arm/leg - same applies.
        You may feel wobbly just trying to get your mind/muscles used to the change from the free flowing you get in the water.

I love it but can certainly feel the difference when I get out.

Be sure to rest before getting out.
        Lastly and very important -Stay hydrated throughout you session - drink lots of water. That applies inside and out of the water

Enjoy it, it gives me the opportunity to use and exercise my body in ways I can't do on land.
        Be Well,
        Susan

Comment

I too have started an aqua aerobics class at my local health club. I love the exercise the salt water affords. Getting out of the pool with a numb right foot and leg is difficult. My doctor said to keep going... just be careful getting out of the pool. Usually my right foot will drop and drag if I walk too long, or I'm tired. It just seems to become numb and useless after an hour in the pool. Ugh!!! Frustrating!!!

Comment

Make sure you give yourself enough time after swimming/exercise to rest before getting out.
            See if you shorten the time just a bit (45 minutes instead of an hour) if that makes a difference.
            Take rest breaks
            Don't forget that there is a significant feeling when you get out due to the change of the environment... limitations tend to be less apparent as water gives you buoyancy while out of the pool you deal with gravity, different terrains and such

Don't be discouraged but do be careful.
            Use railings
            Have a chair right next to the steps for when you get out so you don't have to walk right away.
            Don't forget to stay hydrated, drink plenty of water.

I have the same situation but I truly enjoy the water. It is one of the best ways to increase range of motion, strength, endurance, practice proper walking sequence, and so much more.

Hang in there.
            Be Well,
            Susan

Comment

I am so lucky there is an MS swim class near where I live. We work at our own pace and get a good exercise. I too feel it in my legs when I get out. I just usually help push one of my friends wheelchairs back to the locker room so I don't fall and by the time I am dressed and cooled down I am more stable.

I love my swim class and the fact that it is very inexpensive helps.

Comment

Water Aerobics Experiences

Dear fellow pool users,

I go to the health club and do a water aerobics class everyday. Sometimes i have trouble walking after a workout, but I've come to a few analytic conclusions and have benefited from a few adaptations.

I drink plenty of water during the class.

If it is one of the harder classes for me, one that involves extra water walking with lateral movement for example, I vary the routine as needed and concentrate on patterning and good alignment rather than push myself to try to keep up with a speed that tires me too much.

The water in the pool is cool enough, but I have to be careful about the temperature of the shower. If I take a hotter one, to wash my hair for example, I am sure to limp.

I have a small rolling suitcase that I use as my gym bag. Makes the walk out of the locker room much easier not carrying that heavy bag full of wet stuff and the other clothes I took off.

Since i cannot drive, I have a small wait in the lounge at the club to connect with my ride. I take full advantage and put my feet up.

The water support lets me move in so many ways that I just can't even attempt on land. Going into a class with an agenda of what I want to concentrate on for that time helps me keep my focus on what I am taking the classes for.

I never give up.

Stay lifted,
                Mermaid
                "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."

-Henri Amiel

Comment

I just started a medical retirement (OK, disability but waiting for confiration), and because of the new time in my schedule, one of the first things I did was join a very nice YMCA, planning on starting some water classes, initially fairly gentle. But I am now hesitating because I have had over a month of left arm pain, which can get a lot worse when I play around in the Y's pool with my kids. Would I regret taking a class and just hurt more?

Comment

Water therapy classes can vary. Talk with the instructor to see how vigorous they are, I imagine they are graded - easy - hard but every facility is different
                    Self monitoring is important. Know your limits and having a supervised setting is strongly suggested.

But Most important - Before you start any therapy / exercise program, I suggest talking with your physician especially if you are experiencing new symptoms
                    Be Well,
                    Susan

Comment

Working...
                    X