unemployed and clueless!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unemployed and clueless!!!

well, before i was diagnosed with ms i went to school for surgical technology. i did my job for 5 years, till some things happened at work(basically i used my fmla and was asked if i would take a part time job).

so, i have ptsd,bipolar and my loving ms. this has sent my life spiraling out of control since june. been withdrawing from everything. i really loved my job.i just could not work with the stress the hospital was putting me through.

mentally a wreck. i took a chip route sales job. i figured i bust my butt, get home, dont have to deal with anything..lol
    well the route i got was the sencond best out of my depot. i would crank it out. soon after awhile i started getting weaker and weaker.

by the time i got home i could barely move my arms and legs. my wife would see me drag myself in the house every nite. hours got longer and longer..dont get me wrong i am a hard worker and mostly did not pay attension to the pain(as i really dont pay attenion to ms)

i was at my physical limits and i pushed it. so now im unemployed.. goingon 3 months!! i have been looking for all kinds of work. i was in the employment office and they talked to me about all of my issues and were impressed that i still worked!

anyway im going to the occ vocation rep next week and they r going to help me figure out what i can do..they do have programs to pay for school,but i already have a degree and can't perform that job..

what to do???? it drives me up the wall being home! i let my fatique overcome me and just sleep. which leads to more depression..don

BentValve-

I don't know how old you are, but you still might be eligible for GI Bill Benefits, under the old or new program and could still get new training plus a possible monthly allowance. There have been a lot of changes so you probably don't know if you are eligible or not.

Additionally, the VA has occupational programs in place to help Veterans find jobs. In light of the current administration and Congress' push to find Vets jobs, it might be worth your while looking into it.

I would start with your VSO (the person who helped you with your VA paperwork and is your power of attorney). They could probably point you in the right direction.

Additionally, it is possible you can only work part time, or not at all. Your VSO needs to determine that too. Talk to them about your Service Connected problems making you unemployable.

That is my take--keep hanging on to the VA and ask them for more assistance.

Cheers--Katie

Comment

yeah , for what ever reason the va rep told me that i needed to do the vocational assesment to see what he can do ?? i go next tues..

i know he was telling me about the new gi bill and the alowance..it sounds like maybe this voc asessment thing will determine what i can do? i am 38, i hope something happens, i have bills to pay....

Comment

Bentvalve-

I hope you are eligible for the New GI Bill. Not only will they pay for you school, training, but all books and lab fees. You also get BAQ which in Ohio is about $1000/month while you are in training.

I am glad you are getting the vocational assessment, and using the VA to explore all your options. They do have a lot of assistance programs that virtually go unused.

Good Luck--Katie

Comment

so, there is a reason for the va rep to wait till the assesment is done to see what can be done? don

Comment

Well, not on all of it. If you are looking for a job, then yes, you will have to wait for an assessment. They can also help you apply for a Federal or State Job, which disabled vets get a 10-point hiring preference. There are also quite a few "military friendly" employers in the State. The VA should be able to point those out for you in your area.

If it is strictly the GI Bill Stuff, you can Google, "Post 9-11 GI Bill" now and it should take you to the VA Website. It will go through all the eligibility stuff and if you are eligible, you can fill out a form online. It takes about 6-weeks to get an eligibility certificate and in that time, you can check out schools or training programs and try to get an acceptance. That way when you get your certificate, you are ready to go.

Katie

Comment

It is great to be determined and a hard worker but unfortunately MS can get in the way despite all efforts.

Dealing with fatigue and weakness are frequent symptoms that many must deal with. Pushing your limits certainly doesn't help and tend to consequences (body's reaction). Learning to work with MS is important, an occupational therapist can help promote independence and function within the home, work and community.

The services of vocational rehabilitation prepare for and help get particular jobs.
              There are several programs available that can be beneficial and helpful.

I do suggest getting therapy, if possible, to help with strengthening, conditioning, and learning to work with your fatigue as well as other symptoms from MS. You will need a physician's prescription

Fatigue and sleep can certainly add to depression. Keep your physician informed with all you may be experiencing especially if you feel depression is worsening.
              Be Well,
              Susan

Comment

i did finally get to the vocation rehab appt. i told them all of my issues.i guess out of the 5 things you have to be deal with im at 4 of them..the bipolar,anxiety,ptsd,an not least ms..

it looks like they are going to pay for me to see the neru-wizzard, thats awsome! this part of the process is supposed to take like 4 more weeks.. meanwhile, i am finishing the 1st process of my va paperwork to get into the system. who knows how long that will take.lol

don

Comment

I'm glad you got the ball rolling Don. As you know you will need patience but don't give up, stay persistent.

Hang in there especially with the paperwork and let me know how the process goes with the neuro-wizard! I'm not familiar with all they do

Take care
                  Be Well,
                  Susan

Comment

Working...
                  X