Fibro then MS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fibro then MS?

I have had Fibromyalgia for years with the tender points on bilateral sides equally. I have the associated muscle wasting and flaccidity. The accompanying Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is being treated with Vyvanse and for pain I take Ultracet and that is all.

For years, this has worked but have had a host of gradual signs and symptoms that were creeping up on me like sudden stabbing pain in one of my eyes, blurred vision even though I wear contacts, I still couldn't see. I have been having headaches, though not severe but some dizziness that just seems to be a dizziness in my head. I have had the hugging feeling across my lower chest like my bra is too tight! I recently had the freezing feeling in my lower legs and feet but were warm to touch and hurt badly, then the leg cramps in the calves and feet. I also have been plagued with extreme weakness in my legs and lower back pain radiating around the left flank and down the left side of my thigh down to my knee and beyond.

I have "0" Testosterone level, no sex drive whatsover and all of my other lab tests are normal, no RA or Lupus, or Thyroid problems or Diabetes. I do seem to feel like I am just going to pass out and go to sleep when I do sit down to rest. It is really a weird feeling. I have not been diagnosed with MS yet but am going for a CT scan to rule out something wrong with my brain I guess. I had Hodgkins Disease in 1982 which originated in the Thymus which had to be removed with Mediastinal surgery so I have the classic Hug symptoms.

Could the Vyvanse have masked my symptoms because if I don't take it, I literally cannot get up and motivate myself to work or have any kind of normal type of life at all. I am a Registered Nurse and my occupation is very demanding. I am getting to the point to where I feel I need to start slowing down and take care of myself and not burn my candle at both ends! What do you all think?

Sorry you are feeling so poorly!!!
    I am going to start this by saying...this is just MY opinion. I truly feel that the diagnosis of "Fibromyalgia" is an easy out for docs to not have to look further at what is causing the issue.

Had I gone to a doc with my symptoms before I had optic neuritis, I believe I would have been diagnosed with Fibro as well. If you look at MS symptoms and Fibro symptoms, they are very similar.

In any case, regardless of your diagnosis, you DO have to take care of yourself. As nurses, we are so used to taking care of everybody and juggling many many MANY things at once.

Take care of YOU, my friend
    Jodi
    "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude". Maya Angelou

Comment

Hi Rinkie.

I was diagnosed with Fibro back in the early 90's. Not diagnosed with the RRMS until three four years ago. I agree that the symptoms are similar in some regards, but once you have those tender points you can tell the difference between the two - that's just my opinion. Between the muscle pain, the joint pain, and the breath-stealing nerve pain in my feet and hands, it just gets to be too much sometimes.

I haven't tried the vyvanse. My Doc started me on abilify, but then I quickly relapsed - don't know if there was a connection. So am now on wellbutrin in the am and cymbalta in the pm and am feeling a little more energetic and less depressed. I also take b-complex about an hour before I go to work and that seems to help too.

I hope that you are feeling better soon!
      Hugs ~ Margaret

Comment

Working...
      X