Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work in Medical field and may lose job.

Hello,

So, I went out of work on medical leave for 7 wks as needed for fatigue and incontinence. Am back now part-time. My clinic doesn't need a pt person. HR is looking for another position for me. I am very concerned about health insurance if I am terminated due to lack of position with accommodations.
    Anyone faced similar? I am wanting to work for myself but am SO WORRIED about health insurance.
    Thanks!

If you have a MS dx, individual medical insurance coverage will be almost impossible or affordable if you find a company willing to issue a policy that will cover MS. You may find a health insurance policy that will cover your medical cost, but will have an exclusion for the cost of MS related care. Life insurance coverage will also be difficult to obtain.

If you are concerned about job security, you may want to consider applying for FMLA, Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability if you are covered for disability through your employer. You will need the support of your MS doc for disability and FMLA. If you have used 7 weeks of FMLA, you have 5 weeks remaining under FMLA and had your doc's support for the 7 weeks already used.

If you feel your job loss is imminent I would recommend requesting your remaining FMLA leave ASAP, which will protect your rights to claim SDI and LTD benefits.

If you feel your job security is being threatened I would recommend filling for FMLA before you attend the next meeting with your supervisor or HR. Invoking your FMLA right before termination of employment is key, and can be tricky but essential to maintain your rights to STD and or LTD benefits. It may be as easy as invoking your FMLA rights immediately at the start of a meeting with HR, or calling in to notify your ER that you are taking FMLA and need the request forms to do so. Followup in writing. Maintain well documented records in writing and request written confirmation of all conversations from your employer, or send your own written confirmation of their conversations with you.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

If they terminate you sign nothing. It is a violation of your civil rights, the Americans with Disabilities Act and wrongful termination. I lost my career due to this. Protect yourself. get a lawyer.

Comment

yea, i was a surgical tech. i used my fmla 1 time and was asked to consider a part time job! i was gone 3 days! then my boss held a meeting about me infront of the whole o.r. staff.

asking me if i was taking the part time job. she went to senior leadership and got the ok to hire someone for my position..then they said it was for my own good and they were only thinking about me.

i could not take anymore stress.i gave my 2 week notice..ever since the small town hospital found out from my hippa rights being violated.. it was 1 small game and 2 more hoops to jump thru..

i did not have any issues with doing my job, other than i sweat..all of the doctors sweat..my personal life has spun out of control since i left there..

so, please do want ever it takes to protect your self!

don

Comment

I lost my job in the medical field this past december. I had a huge flare in october and then another one in december. I was out on fmla after the october flare.

I was on STD, then I exhausted my fmla in december and was terminated because I couldnt come back within the next 30 days. I am now on LTD awaiting my SSDI/SSI decision.

I have no insurance as cobra is a joke! I no longer have life insurance either. I can get life insurance but it is very expensive and right now, we just dont have the money for it.

Im lucky that my neuro is working with me on his billing. He is charging me almost 300.00 LESS than his normal bill. We get our meds from walmart, home of the 4.00 rx. We have also found a free clinic to care for our normal everyday illness'. I also get my copaxone for free.

There are outlets to help you. Try not to panic. I know its hard not to, I went thru it myself, but if you dont panic and start reaching out to these programs, it could ease your mind. Good luck to you.

Comment

Im also in the medical field and my neuro gave me the Dx while I was at work therefore my whole department found out I have MS. I was passed up on a FT job with benefits but was told it was for other reasons but I dont believe that..my boss told me she "knew" something was up with me as she "noticed" things about me..so I work part time and have no benefits or anything, thankfully my husband does but its not that easy..anyway, I work three days a week, two nine hour days and Im literally exhausted on those two days and I can barely walk or move when I get home. Im so sore and feel like Ive been run over by a truck

Comment

Working...
            X