Relapsing/Remitting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relapsing/Remitting question

During a period of remission, is there still any damage being done or would I be basically "normal" during that stage in Relapsing/Remitting MS? (hopefully this ? makes sense - I've been beat all day)

Remissions can be complete (no symptoms) or partial (symptoms come and go and residual symptoms).

When you have Cancer and are in remission it means the Cancer is not active and there are no signs of it. In MS, even in Remission the disease is still active, although the person may feel better.

The thought for quite a while now is the word 'remission' is not a correct term for MS.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Vikingkitty, everyone's is different (some people are barely bothered by it with mild flares every few years, some feel like garbage everyday and double garbage when having a flare).

Personally, expecting to go back to "normal" after a flare was my biggest mistake. After living with it for 7 years I can now tell when a flare is happening; they may not all be emergency room worthy and usually settle down after a few days.

I asked my neuro "when will it be considered to be in remission?' and he told me that he prefers to use the word "stable" instead. Don't know if this helps you.
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

Sorry if tho isn't the news you want, but damage is being done silently.

Scientists used to think no damage was being done, but have learned otherwise in the past 25 years. So, although it isn't ideal news, it is helpful to patients.

Read this online MS magazine.
        Page 5 is where I gleaned* the most useful information.
        http://www.mscenter.org/images/stori...er09lowres.pdf

*Lol,who says gleaned anymore?

Comment

I don't know. I suspect whatever is attacking our myelin is always at it, sometimes at a level we don't notice, and not to point where there's an actual lesion for the MRI to spot.

Sometimes it's very quiet indeed, so quiet you would swear you had nothing wrong with you at all and sometimes you get a great big flare.

I think counting flares and lesions and judging progress that way might be distracting researchers from the actual process of MS over a life time.

I know that's all they can measure with the equipment they have, but it's not that simple, I think anyway.

Once things go bad, they use the disability scale, which is basically how far you can walk unassisted, so not a lot of technology there.

Which explains, to me, why most (nearly all) of us eventually become SP.

Comment

Kitty,

you're asking the right questions. There's an on-going balance of healing and damage always going on. We hope for stability or if we're lucky, healing. Usually at the beginning there's a lot of healing that takes place. In my case, I'm still getting better after 2 years. Now that said, while most symptoms got better, a few got worse.

It is my opinion (and there are studies which support it), that exercise helps to tilt the balance toward healing and in any case, helps with fatigue and depression. Just google the words

exercise multiple sclerosis bdnf

The first year is usually the hardest and you can learn to live with some issues. Remember than when you're feeling bad.

Comment

Working...
            X