Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CoQ10 Supplement Helps MS Symptoms

Hi,

I have learned that CoQ10 Supplement helps with MS symptoms and increases energy. I am really wanting to try this. IS there anyone using this supplement if so what is the Dosage you are using? Notice any difference??

I've had this MonSter for 11yrs. & I'm on Rebif,the only other thing my neuro has always told to me to take is a multi.vit. & a CoQ10 every day. I take 200mg. a day. I don't know if it has helped me or not,but in 11yrs,I've only had 3 flairs one caused by a bad Ecoli infection. I guess it sure can't hurt!
    keep us posted,God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

Idebenone......similar to CoQ10

Hello.

I'm involved in a clinical trial at the NIH for Idebenone, which is a manmade version of CoQ10. The researchers are hoping that it will work on cell function within the central nervous system.

So far, the docs say that they're seeing a difference between the placebo group and the CoQ10 group, but don't know which group is doing better! I, for one, hope it's the CoQ10 folks who are slowing their progression!

Comment

I have been taking the 200mg dose for a year and I don't feel any difference. But I will continue, it has no negative side effects.
        Kippy, thanks for doing the idebenone trial through the NIH. Why does the man-made product need a 'funky' name like idebenone ? How is the man-made product different than the CoQ-10 that I get from the vitamin store? Why does a pharmaceutical firm need to produce this element and give it a different name? Seems to me the company is trying to pull a fast one on the consumer !

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
          Why does the man-made product need a 'funky' name like idebenone ? How is the man-made product different than the CoQ-10 that I get from the vitamin store? Why does a pharmaceutical firm need to produce this element and give it a different name? Seems to me the company is trying to pull a fast one on the consumer !
          Umm, Jerry? Did you sleep through chemistry class in high school?

There's no conspiracy here, just basic chemistry. Are you really expecting the poster to explain chemistry? I hope not, because the explanation given in the post about idebenone is factually incorrect.

This is the quote from the clinical trial document for idebenone and PPMS:
          "Idebenone is a manmade drug that is similar to a naturally occurring compound known as coenzyme Q10, a common dietary supplement."

"Similar to" coenzyme Q10 does not mean "a manmade version of" CoQ10. That also means that there's no "CoQ10 group" in the idebenone study. Idebenone is a different compound than ubiquinone (CoQ10).

Lest you've become a victim of the "learned helplessness" that runs rampant in Internet forums, your questions can be answered by making a short trip to (I can't believe I'm saying this) Wikipedia.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia to get you started:
          "Despite a high chemical similarity, structural analogs are not necessarily functional analogs and can have very different physical, chemical, biochemical, or pharmacological properties. In drug development(,) large series of structural analogs of an initial lead compound are created and tested as part of a structure-activity relationship study."

Comment

Hey Redwings,
            I know only a little about science. My degree is a B.A. And I did professional sound and lighting for TV.
            So, since your an expert in science and chemistry, tell me what idebenone is and why it is being studied as a possible treatment for MS.
            And as far as 'ubiquinol', I trust you have an explanation for that name or compound, as well. I thought it was a trade name for that company's Co Q 10.

Comment

I'm heading back to the NIH today for more tests to try to get into the trial for Idebenone and will try to remember to ask about the similarities to CoQ10.

It appears as if I'm "on probation" for the first several appointments before they decide if they want me in the trial, or not. That means multiple MRIs, blood apheresis and tests, clinical appointments, eye tests, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Actually, Redwings, my chemistry teacher's nickname was 'Sandman'. Because he did put us to sleep. lol

Comment

From Wikipeida's entry on "ubiquinol," that is certainly easier to say than "2,3-dimethoxy-5-methyl-6-poly prenyl-1,4-benzoquinol."

Comment

I don't believe that CoQ10 works to "boost" energy. My understanding is it is a powerful anti-oxidant, and as such could/would quench free-radicals. This could make you "feel better", but I doubt would change energy levels. Of the supplements I take, I don't feel that type of difference with CoQ10.
                    Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

I took CoQ10 for a little while on the advice of my doctor, but it was to lower my cholesterol or b/p or something. I can't remember which. I don't think my dosage was high enough to impact my energy levels. (And it was expensive, so I stopped taking it.)

As for anti-oxidants in general, they definitely can help with energy levels in some people. I've been taking both alpha lipoic acid (200 - 400 mg daily) and acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 to 2,000 mg daily) for three years and do not have that bone numbing fatigue that I used to have. (They're also being studied as treatments for MS.) A lot of folks here have tried them. Just do a search for either supplement and you'll find a lot of good information on them.
                      Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                      Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                      Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Hi.
                        Just returned from the NIH in Bethesda and was told by the head researcher that I am 99% accepted into the trial for Idebenone for PPMS.

The trial has been going on for awhile now, and they've been seeing some differences between the group taking the high doses of Idebenone and those taking the placebo.

The doctor told me that the different thing about the Idebenone from the CoQ10 is that the latter does not go through the blood/brain barrier tissue while the manmade Idebenone (at high doses that they give) does go through the barrier and therefore hopefully affects the cells in the CNS. The purpose of the trial is to see if that theory works.

I won't get on the med or the placebo until next July, since they'll be evaluating me for a year to follow my progression. After that, it's two years of either the Idebenone or the placebo, but if something seems to be helping slow progression, they'll assume it's the Idebenone and give it to everyone in the trial.

At least I think that's what it's about!

Comment

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
                          I took CoQ10 for a little while on the advice of my doctor, but it was to lower my cholesterol or b/p or something. I can't remember which. I don't think my dosage was high enough to impact my energy levels. (And it was expensive, so I stopped taking it.)

As for anti-oxidants in general, they definitely can help with energy levels in some people. I've been taking both alpha lipoic acid (200 - 400 mg daily) and acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 to 2,000 mg daily) for three years and do not have that bone numbing fatigue that I used to have. (They're also being studied as treatments for MS.) A lot of folks here have tried them. Just do a search for either supplement and you'll find a lot of good information on them.
                          You are correct. I never looked at the mechanism of ALC ALA. So, I did not understand. I take both, I just added them based on all the high praise they receive. I am fortunate to not have fatigue problems. I really don't feel much of an energy boost from anything other than vitamin B. Thanks for keeping me informed.
                          Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Going to try the Lipoic acid

I see on my neuro's bio; she listed as a non-conventional treatment Lipoic acid. So why not? sounds good to me! I meet w/her Wed and am telling her the news I opt for no shots. Wish me luck

Anyone know if I can take vit. b-12 along with...i was going to start w/that....but may just go for the Lipoic acid?

thanks all : )
                            Dx'd "probable"-5/2012. Swank diet, supplements, meditation & exercise daily. Keep on Keeping

Comment

Originally posted by Angeldifferent View Post
                              I see on my neuro's bio; she listed as a non-conventional treatment Lipoic acid. So why not? sounds good to me! I meet w/her Wed and am telling her the news I opt for no shots. Wish me luck

Anyone know if I can take vit. b-12 along with...i was going to start w/that....but may just go for the Lipoic acid?

thanks all : )
                              I take a Super B complex, including B12, with alpha lipoic acid and acetyl L-carnitine. I also take a lot of other supplements. I've never had any problems.

Good luck. I hope they work for you as well as they have for me.
                              Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                              Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                              Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X