Disability Should I apply?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disability Should I apply?

Hi. I live in Ontario. I am not working anymore. I was only working 1 day a week this last year. It was totally wearing me out to work just one day. I don't know if I should apply for disability or not. Any feed back would be helpful. Thanks.

Not sure how your system works up there , but my feeling is if you can't work and it is available why not apply for it ?
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I am wondering the same thing. I printed of the CPP disability paperwork and I am taking to my Dr in Feb so hopefully he will fill them out for me. I haven't worked in 4 months, and after Nursing for almost 30 yrs, I need help. I have been warned by several people that it is not an easy process, but if I don't try, how will I know? So my suggestion to you is to print off and fill out the paperwork.
      If Your DREAMS DON'T SCARE YOU, THEY ARE NOT BIG ENOUGH...Dare to Dream

Comment

Hello, yes apply for it and get help from your local MS Society chapter. I did it myself back in 98 and they were going to turn me down, but I had a great Doctor who supported me along with my Neurologist. If you have both of these people on your side it is pretty easy to get. They did send me a no at first, but read it carefully because it was a nurse who said no to my claim and made the ruling, however, I did write back about a nurse over-ruling my two medical professionals ( not likely). After i said that I received it and a huge back payout because CPP disability starts the minute you put in the claim even if it takes 8 or more months. Needless to say it was greaaaat cheque:-)

Comment

I believe you need apply for ODSP - Ontario Disability Support Program , (which is different than the CPP disability payments.)

As a tip be sure to ask for the special food supplement and travel supplement when applying - much easier to get approved the first time , than adding on afterwards.

Contact your local office for help - you can download the forms right off the internet and discuss it with your Family Doctor....if you cannot work you are entitled to the proper disability support....

Good Luck !
          Peace ~~ Kat

Comment

That is correct, you have to apply to ODSP first. I asked my GP today about filling out my CPPand he said you have to apply to ODSP first, get rejected, appeal, get rejected again and then apply for CPP. He wasn't being very positve about my success, he said I'm in for a battle.
            So this afternoon I started jumping for the ODSP hoops.
            But as I said earlier in a post, I won't know if I don't try.
            If Your DREAMS DON'T SCARE YOU, THEY ARE NOT BIG ENOUGH...Dare to Dream

Comment

I am in Ont and I am not sure abouts the OSDP part. I went off of work In Jan 2011, long story short I transitions from STD to LT disability, I was working with a Social worker who suggested I apply for CPP, she really didn't think I would have any issues getting CPP but did warn me I would probably get turned down at first and then I would have to appeal it. Well I took her advice, filled in the CPP application and mailed it in near the end of Oct 2011 and a few weeks ago I got a letter from CPP saying my application was approved.

So for me it was very simple process, almost to easy. Really does not make any difference for me $ wise as now what I get from CPP will just be deducted from my montly LTD payment.

Wish you luck !!

Comment

Thanks for your replies everyone. My doc is a useless tool but I hope he will be a little helpful.

Comment

Not helpful if a useless tool for a doctor. Do you see a neuro as well, or is he the useless tool? If so, maybe your GP can help? and your local MS Chapter? I think the MS site, has a handbook for applying.

Comment

You DO NOT need to apply for ODSP first. I applied or and recieved CPP disabilty on the first try. I had been off work for a year before I applied. I do not get ODSP because my husbands income is too high but if you have worked the required number of years and your doctor fills out the paperwork correctly, you will qualify for CPP. Good Luck

Comment

Well I sent in the paper work. I guess it's just waiting game now. Thanks for input everyone.

Comment

I was approved for disability one the first try! Very surprised. It's a bitter sweet thing. Happy for financial help ( much needed), but now it's like it's official.

Comment

To Apply Or Not....

Miss Bliss...Yes do apply.

I did but only after 4 years. Yes there are some hoops to jump through, but jump through them now while you can.

Once you have confirmed your status, it is much harder to take it away....

Comment

CPPD

TO GET CPPD, YOU HAVE TO HAVE CONTRIBUTED AND ITS BASED ON THAT HOW MUCH YOU GET. I'M NOT SURE HOW MANY DAYS/YEARS, BUT YOU NEED TO HAVE PAID INTO THE CP, TO GET IT, UNLESS YOU ARE A CHILD UNDER 18.

Comment

Working...
                            X