No announcement yet.

How do I manage until we can move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contact your local NMSS chapter. They have programs to financially assist you with buying a stair glide and retro-fitting bathrooms.

Comment

Susan,

Thanks so much for checking on me. Currently, I'm finishing a (3rd) round of antibiotics for an ear infection (I THINK it's helping; not feeling well today, but I may have overdone things yesterday). I think my family keeps passing around coughs/colds, etc.

I took someone's advice (chalknpens?), and contacted the construction technology dept. at the college where my dh works. At first, the response was that they only made special items (I'd asked about a ramp for the LR) for certain charities.

However, I had another email from the same dept. (first one had passed along my request). This one was much more positive. The instructor/director wanted to do his best to try and help me. He has been looking for staff and students who are interested in taking on this as a project of goodwill. I received an email just this past week that they were looking at the idea of building it on campus and then bringing it here when done.

I am getting a power chair through OVR, but I'm sure it will take quite some time. I was concerned whether or not I would be able to continue with them (OVR) when my dh said he did not feel comfortable with me teaching a class in the fall. However, I saw something encouraging on the paperwork I received today (a modified "plan" since I cannot do a vehicle modification through them). The paperwork had the goal of obtaining a job as an adjunct (what I've been doing) by 12/31/2014.

This way, I can pay more attention to my dd and her needs during the fall semester. I want to homeschool her through the online option offered by PA. I am truly hoping that my strength will be regained by then, with PT and rest. I am also trying to get extra days of PT through OVR, as recommended by my PT.

Susan, you were a great help and encouragement to me, and I want to thank you. It's been extra tough b/c of my dd's needs, my ?? about whether or not to work/go through OVR, financial needs, and just the exhaustion of the recuperation process in general. I've spent a lot of time in prayer and sought advice from here and other places.

I truly hope I can say, by April or May, that I am feeling much better and able to do more. I've already begun to start cooking again, but need to find some better ways to conserve energy while doing it.

Comment

Thank you for staying in touch

Let me know what challenges you are facing with cooking and any other tasks and I will be happy to share ways to conserve energy as well as other suggestions

Best Regards
        Be Well,
        Susan

Comment

Susan,
          Of course, after I said things seemed to be improving, I had to have a "bad day" yesterday, that made it feel like I was having another relapse. Blessedly, it SEEMS just to have been a combo of overdoing things/trying to do too much too soon.

Guess it's best not to try too much when still trying to get over an infection. Spent all of Saturday in my pajamas. Can't remember, now, if it was Saturday or yesterday (thinking it was Saturday) that I got up and, soon after, could not even pick up my feet. It felt like "deja-vu" (ie: seems like I've "been here before!").

I think all of the rest and napping paid off. I needed for it to pay off, b/c my dd had a cold that has turned nasty. She began running "official" fevers yesterday (ie: the kind that keep you home from school). I had to get into "Mommy mode" pretty quickly for her.

As for cooking problems, I guess most of them have to do with me standing so much, walking around the kitchen w/out my rollator (kinda keep forgetting it's there), etc. I still think that my "eventual" power chair would make a great difference with that. I have tried to make sure to sit (on my rollator) to do as much prep work as I can, but I guess I still need to regain a lot of strength and build up energy from such a long time of NOT having it.

In addition, those stairs just don't make life easier. Seriously started trying to think of ways to move myself downstairs, for the most part. We have a closed in sunroom off of the living room. It has outlets, so have thought of the idea of putting a futon or a bed in there and a portable heater; even a bedside commode, if necessary.

Basically, we need a new house with one-level living, but I just have to figure out how to manage until then. Doesn't help matters that my dd has anxiety disorder and has been having major fears constantly; always wanting someone to go with her or come to her (upstairs is the worst). It's an added stress that I hope we will be able to address very soon. Looking, now, for a Christian therapist in the area to help her.

Comment

I'm sorry to hear you had a set back but rest is the best thing you can do.

Have you tried relaxation/meditation before? I find it very helpful. Stress (physical and mental) can really take a toll so try to 'get away', even if it's just via headphones on computer listening to relaxation on you tube, it can make a difference.

Hang in there. You're doing a really good job with the challenges you've been facing. Quite impressive, keep it up.
            Be Well,
            Susan

Comment

Working...
            X