Exercise ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exercise ?

Susan, this is my first time posting in this forum but I think this is perfect for my question.

I just watched the season premier of TBL last night & while I love the "No Excuses" concept this season, I'm wondering how that fits in w/ MS? Don't get me wrong, I know that I have definitely been making some excuses lately because for me exercise helps me physicaly & mentally but I also know that I can't (I know thats a no-no word also) do what my body refuses to do! In PT last week, they had me with a new guy, like just out of school new & 2 things happened. 1st- on the leg lift machine he had me doing 20 on each side. L- side no prob R side I struggled to do 4 & he was like "the purpose is to build the muscle so you need to try harder" HELLO, I'm screaming at my leg to lift but the message doesn't get there, how is trying harder going to help. 2nd- he had me on the 'in' stability ball & walked away! I fell off & jammed my wrist! The last visit was the 1st time we had used it & she had me belted up & wouldn't let me do anything w/o her right there! I know he's learning so the next time they asked my permission for him to watch them work with me

I'm the kind of person that is 'all or nothing' which I have been getting better at because its not worth getting hurt.

So, after all that was said, my ? is, what is the dividing line between MS issues & excuses?
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Dx 2004, Copx, Rebif, Ty Beta- I'm done!!

Unfortunately there are many therapist who don't understand MS especially MS Fatigue. So many people, including myself, have been in this position. We are educators whether it's to family, friends, or in this case our therapist

It is important that you do not push yourself, take rest breaks as needed, and know (and express) your limits. Share with the therapist that it is not from lack of compliance nor from being lazy. That you do understand the goals of therapy, for strengthening and building endurance, but that he/she might need to be educated in MS. However, don't be afraid to go a little further than you're used to for strengthening, increasing range of motion, and endurance.

Typical therapy orders are : Diagnosis MS, Precautions: Avoid Fatigue. I admit, when I was a hands on clinician umpteen years ago, I did not fully understand that precaution. That was until I was diagnosed with MS.

Provide resources and information in a gentle way, they can get defensive after all, they are the clinician!

Oh, and I don't believe in the saying 'no pain, no gain'. You may feel some muscle soreness after exercising or moving around more than you're used to after all, that occurs naturally with everyone. However, you do not want to put yourself out of commission.

Be sure to communicate with the therapists, you can always switch if you feel they are not understanding the diagnosis of MS.
    Be Well,
    Susan

Comment

Thanks Susan! This is a very good PT office so I feel comfortable expressing my needs & my concerns. I think my saying is "over heat, DON'T!" I don't mind pushing myself a little further, thats how I lost 65lbs 3yrs ago! I just have learned that if I'm starting to get hot I need to slow down or just stop & stretch!
      "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Dx 2004, Copx, Rebif, Ty Beta- I'm done!!

Comment

Yes, you want to limit increasing your body core temperature too much. Don't forget to rest between exercise sets and change of exercise, stay hydrated, and very important - set limits.

Keep up the good work
        Be Well,
        Susan

Comment

Exercise and my health

I have been working out since I was 19, three days/week. I am now 53. I did Jackie Sorenson Aerobic Dance. I supposedly have had MS for 15-20 years. Did all the exercise help keep it at bay? This was found out by an MRI after a seizure in 2000. Definite in 2002 after extreme dizziness.

I changed from 'dancing' to treadmill and weights. Too dizzy and couldn't keep in step with the music anymore. In the last few years I feel achier than I did with the aerobics class, which worked every muscle. Does that make sense? I need these workouts to maintain health and weight.

How is it possible to get my insurance company to pay for my membership at $39/mo. and massages to make it easier on my body, instead of more costly therapy sessions? If at all.

I do watch my limitations. If I feel dizzier, I slow down or use a different machine - bike instead of treadmill. And I do a lot of stretches.

(Am I making any sense? I feel like I'm babbling. First time on here.)

Also, I will be changing to another medication in about a month, which as I understand from reading posts, can reduce heart rate and blood pressure. Does this mean I have to change my workout routine? I certainly hope not.

Comment

Hi Music Lover (By the way, I am also!)
            Exercise is so important and sadly insurance companies are very limited in what they provide. Unless it has the word 'therapy' in it - meaning physical, occupational or speech - they don't seem to provide anything else.

In order for insurance to pay for something, there has to be proper and often significant, physician documentation. Then there has to be a prescription or letter indicating it is medically necessary.

Covering a fitness center member is not likely to happen. Depending on your insurance coverage, therapeutic massage may be covered - I have seen that offered (with co payment) with issues of spasticity and pain but again, the physician documentation and prescription would be needed... and only if outlined in the specifications of you insurance.
            Some companies are more lenient than others but I find as time goes on, sadly they cover less.

If you're working out with weights, you don't need to use heavy ones. Light weight with sets of repetition is very helpful but don't over do it. You're goal is not body building! If you haven't used weights (in a while), even light weights,can cause muscles to ache. You work out muscle group separately. Aerobic exercise and use of weights do differ.

Regardless, keep moving! Range of motion, stretching and exercise is very important. Be sure you have proper assistance if needed and know your limits. Put on your music and let movements flow, you just may need to sit down or even lay down to do them. Don't be afraid to think outside the music box!
            Be Well,
            Susan

Comment

insurance and covereage

Thanks for your answer.

You'd think insurance would want to cover other options. I did physical therapy a few times so I could know which exercises to do. Since the place I go to has all the equipment, I can do it on my own over there. I had to cut short any 'professional' sessions because even with it being covered, I couldn't afford my portion of $100 or so. My membership is $39/mo. So much less costly. I'm there 3-5 days/week. Massage also - buy three ($180) get a fourth free. Also less money to cover.

I did ask my doctor to write a prescription letter to insurance so it would be covered. I don't know if he did. Maybe I should try again. I wrote one also. No answer so far.

It's nice connecting with you. I was pretty sure I was doing all the right things. I guess it's the MS that keeps me aching. I used to not ache since I exercised almost all the muscles on a regular basis. Oh well.

Comment

Sounds like you are doing the right things.

Unfortunately I have the ongoing aches as well. It's hard to explain and varies in degree and places, would you agree?
                I encourage stretching once, if not twice a day. I do relaxation techniques including meditation. I also try to do some type of exercise especially swimming, that helps the most. Lastly I use topical creams like icy hot which can help.

You're definitely not alone!

Feel good and Take care
                Be Well,
                Susan

Comment

Working...
                X