Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experiences with Mirena, hormonal iud?

Hi everyone
    I would love to hear your experience of using mirena and if/how it had an impact on your MS?

My ms has been quite well-behaved in the last few years. I don't want that to change but I need reliable bc, and I can't use any estrogen because I've a history of migraine with aura.

I have had a Mirena IUD for almost 7 years now, with no issues. BUT, I wasn't Dx with MS until a few weeks ago...so take that for whatever it is

Comment

I just started year 6 on my Mirena (had it replaced recently). I'm also having my first period (very light; pantyliners take care of it) period in 15 months. Bliss.

So far, no effect on MS that I've seen. I was diagnosed 15 months ago.

Comment

I agree with Alice. I have been on the Mirena for almost 3 years and it's womnderful! Very light periods if at all (it took a while for this to happen though) and I was dx in Oct/11. I like it a lot and would highly recommend it.
        ~seeuinct (Connecticut)
        Dx the first time: 10/25/11
        Avonex 1/12-10/12
        Revaluation of Dx 10/12
        Rediagnosis 7/14

Comment

I have had the Mirena for about 4 years and it is awesome! I have had no issues with it affecting my MS as far as I know.

If you haven't had any kids, prepare to be a little crampy the first day (at least I was). They say it's easier to insert in woman who have had children.

Best part, I have no periods (almost 4 years now!). Man, the money I have save not buying tampons! So, I would say that is a positive impact on my life in general
          dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

Comment

I will add that I haven't had a period in almost 7 years too Awesome!

Comment

Hey
              thank you all so much for your replies .
              It is good to see you've all had positive experiences.
              The no/light periods sounds great - I currently have such heavy periods I am changing tampons every hour on the heaviest days . Freedom from that would be fantastic.
              I've a son alright so the insertion should not be too bad.
              Thanks again, I really appreciate you all posting your experiences.
              x

Comment

I got Mirena in July of this year and haven't had my period since... just had very mild spotting the first month for a few days. It's great and hasn't affected my MS at all!
                Nancy
                Diagnosed with RRMS: June 2008. Rebif: Aug. 2008 - Aug. 2011, Gilenya: Sept. 2011 - Aug. 2012. TTC for baby #1

Comment

My Mirena Experience

I had Mirena "installed" in April of 2009 and it was a horrible experience! The device perforated my uterus causing pain and bleeding and I had to have surgery to remove it. I ended up pregnant 4 months later.

Although the risk of having this happen is 1 in 1,000 (same as getting an MS diagnosis!) I did not want you think that this device is without risks. Consider your options carefully as your post sounded a lot like me at the time. I just wanted effective bc! Never thought it would happen to me but I guess you never do. Good luck with your decision!

Ps - It did not effect my MS.

Comment

I've had Mirena for 2 years now. It took about six months, but I very rarely bleed at all. I have light cramps and mood swings during 'that' time.

But before my son was born (two years ago) I had a different IUD. Copper based. The doc who installed it did it wrong. Worked great for a few years, and then I started having horrible cramps one month. Went in, turns out it had come loose and was starting to push through my uterus wall. JOYS.

That would be why my son was born. Had to have it removed and go on pills for a while, then had antibiotics... and voila!

Overall I love my Mirena. But it certainly isn't for everyone. If you choose to get it, make sure to take some ibuprofen or something an hour before your appointment.

Comment

To be fair, I am ALWAYS the exception with any kind of meds. I cant take bc and I was SO excited @ getting the mirana.

The first time I had it put in I may have battled thu 3 months before having it removed because it was making me psychotic ( so did the neuvo ring) but since I had some pretty major personal stress then, we decided to try again. I didnt wait 2 months this time...it was horrible.

Everyone else I know who has had it, adores it. I wanted to but the exsorcist style freak outs pretty much made bc obsolite & working in customer service meant it threatened my job soooooo
                      DXd Fragile X premutation ~ 2004
                      DXd RRMS ~ Jan. 2009

Comment

I had it and hated it, had it removed after 8 months. In fact, I got in November 2010 and had my first episode of symptoms starting in late June of 2011. Since I had been having problems with it anyway, my GYN removed it just to make sure it wasn't the culprit (it wasn't).

I did feel so much better after it was out! And I could finally get the stupid weight off.

Comment

Hey
                          I am the OP checking in again. I got the Mirena 'installed'!! but it perforated my cervix so it had to be removed. Then it took a few weeks to heal and now I went back for another - that would tell you how much I am desperate for good bc and lighter periods . Sorry to hear you had something similar CourgarMama & Kraheera.

So far, so good, it's only in 4 days but I've just had light cramping and spotting and I can live with them alright. I think I am a bit more grumpy but perhaps it's because my period is due in the next week anyway. The doctor put in it mid-cycle because she thought the heaviness of my period may have dislodged it the first time.

I really hope it stays where it's supposed to stay this time. And that it works!

Comment

Best of luck to you Guzzy!

Guzzy, hope the second time is the charm for you! I understand wanting good birth control and no worries. It seems to me that a lot of the success (or not) for Mirena has to do with the skill of the person who inserts it.

Best of luck to you!

Comment

On the opposite side

I tried Mirena twice.

The first time was aweful. I got an infection with the IUD which is rare, but it was within 2 weeks of it being put in. It took 2 months to figure out what the problem was though, and the pain was terrible. At 2 months in we tried to take the iud out, but the string had disappeared, so it had to be taken out surgically (basically i had to be put under general anesthesia)

The second time, we already knew that I would need special precautions with the Mirena. So the doctor prepped me with valium. I had had a child already so it went in fine. However, I got the infection again. So 2 weeks later the iud had to come out. Not only that, but with me, it caused terrible pain and discomfort when I was in a sitting position.

If you're going to get an IUD, i'd recommend getting it only if you've had a child. Also, if you're not prone to getting infections. PID is normally a sexually transmitted disease, or infection, but because of the pain of the Mirena I wasn't having intercourse. The only other cause for it, is just that it was inserted wrong, or that my body is easy to get infections. -I also get UTI's easily.

I wish you well, and hope that this gives you a fair view of the opposite side of the argument.

Comment

Working...
                              X