Occupational Therapy Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Occupational Therapy Questions

I am curious what happens in an occupational therapy assessment and follow up.

In October, my neuro gave me a referral for OT, and I have an appointment scheduled next week. For some background, I am 42 and have been dx with MS for 16 years. Except for regular exacerbations the first 5 years or so, I have been highly functional.

However, in February of this year, I went on "short" term diability from my job, which turned into full time disability. This followed a cognitive assessment in May which showed significant impairments in a number of areas, most debilitating in executive function.

I am married with two girls (grades 3 and 5). I wish I could remember all of the areas that I have problems with, but daily living has been difficult. I do not cook (anymore) as I cannot reliably follow even the simplest of directions - written or verbal.

Mostly I am worried that the OT evaluation will result in "lists" for me to follow, which is a concern.

If anyone has had OT experience, I would appreciate your perspective on its value to you.
    Diagnosed November 1995
    Started Copaxone 9/11

OT assessments includes range of motion, strength, gross and fine motor coordination, cognition, vision, and additional areas depending what might be exhibited during the evaluation.
    OT's primary goal is to promote independence at home, at work, within the community. The word 'occupation' relates to the job of living. Based on the information obtained in the assessment and your needs/goals, a treatment plan will be made.

Any cognitive issues you may be experiencing will be incorporated in the activities in therapy for home/every day use.
    Don't worry about any type of 'lists', everything should be provided within abilities.

As you do things, if you find a difficulty and want to provide that information to the therapists, leave paper around the house so you can write it down. One in bathroom, one in kitchen, etc. Then just collect them before sessions.

I hope the information helps. Let me know if you need more information.
    Be Well,
    Susan

Comment

Working...
    X