Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lifting pots and pans - progressions? what muscles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lifting pots and pans - progressions? what muscles?

Hi Susan
    would really appreciate your help on this. Sequoia recommended I post my message on this board after I posted it in General. Here is the original message:

=========================
    Hi
    I don't see my neuro til March so i could do with some advice on this issue. Over the last 8 months I've noticed Im finding it more and more difficult to drain pasta, lift a pan of potatoes, or a full kettle. My wrists are bending down and my strength is going. It seems to be disimproving slowly. I notice it also when Im texting in bed, my arms start aching with the effort. Does this sound familiar to any of u?

My background is 13+ yrs since RRMS dx. Had worsening RRMS then when I went on Copaxone, and refused mitoxantrone, I improved. Last neuro visit he said I was def still RRMS. I have no mobility probs. Bad fatigue and memory loss. I no longer work but I small busy being mum with a chatty four year old!

Any feedback or advice very welcome.
    ==========================

Hi Guzzy
    I'm glad this was sent my way. Yes, I can relate to this very well. Dealing with items such as the cooking examples can be tiring, a bit frustrating, but also very dangerous. When I am faced with that situation - which happens often, I either do smaller amounts (2 smaller pots instead of one big one), scoop pasta into drainer bits at a time instead of pouring the whole pot, coordinate cooking when someone is home to help, or perhaps find an alternative food to make. Rolling carts help with carrying items, you can put trivets or towels for hot objects.

Also, I have the same situation as you when it comes to working on the computer, phone, ipod etc. My hands will get sore and so will my arms. I use icy/hot which helps. don't forget your wrists and fingers need stretching too before activities. Be sure to rest if you're doing these activities for long periods of time.
    And lastly, look at your sitting posture. No slouching, head forward, and rounded shoulders allowed! Bring items up some your head isn't bent looking down. Body mechanics is very important.
    Be Well,
    Susan

Comment

Thank you Susan for your reply.
      I am especially guilty of rounding my shoulders and hunching, and not stretching enough!
      Really appreciate your reply,
      x

Comment

I also got a smooth cook top so I can slide things on the stove. But I agree with Susan you have to be very careful with the hot stuff - I sit in a W/C so my lap is a likely place I would drop stuff and burns would result--so if the pan is too heavy I coordinate when someone will be around to take it off or out of the oven.

Comment

Working...
        X