Flooring for Accessible Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flooring for Accessible Home

My DH was diagnosed with PPMS in April '10 and has subsequently progressed from a cane to a walker. In view of the possibility of his mobility worsening, we are currently in the process of having an accessible custom home built.

We want wood flooring in the living areas and have found some beautiful samples of handscrapped hardwood. I was wondering if handscraped flooring would cause problems with maneuvering in a walker or wheelchair. I have located accessibility guidelines on carpets and tile flooring, but nothing to date on wood flooring.

Thanks!

When we were choosing flooring to replace the carpet in our bedrooms, we were told that good quality laminate flooring is more resistant to scratches than hardwood.

I use a wheelchair indoors, so that was a big factor for me - it brings in grit and dirt from outdoors. I didn't want to have to redo the finish on hardwood floors in the future.

The carpet was much too hard to keep clean.

Comment

There are so many types of wood flooring and laminates it's truly hard to tell. The laminate we have is now showing wear and tear more than scratches in high traffic dog areas or rolling of desk chairs. I do not use a walker but the types of wheels may make a difference. Also to take into consideration is if it's a 3 or 4 wheeled walker or 2 and you have rubber tips or the tennis balls used. You may get scuffing but doubtful.

With all that said, I think laminate is the best bet. It's more practical and reasonable. You just can't let water stay in it long or steam clean. There are also rubber flooring/mats you can use for commonly used areas if you find the need. The flooring is also put down on a type of padding- regulates the firmness of the floor.

As long as ridges and gaps are prevented, I think the flooring should be fine. I personally like it better than tile, less slipping.
      Be Well,
      Susan

Comment

Hi lib053

Make sure you get a nicer or thicker laminate. I put my laminate floor in 11 year ago (I did it myself) but being a 'penny pincher' I opted for the 'least expensive' therefore the thinnest and now it needs replacing, soon!

My s-i-l put in wood look vinyl strips, but it was scratched just putting the furniture back

Good luck and bless you for staying and caring
        Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Laminated flooring...

... Is what I just put down in most of my house. And I love it! You could spill a pot of spaghetti sauce, but because of the way the floor is treated the spaghetti sauce just about "beeds-up". As the other poster mentioned, you must immediately wipe up any liquids or you may get a "bubble".

I haven't had the flooring long so I cannot comment on whether or not it retains marks from the wheelchair.

It looks good, is easy to roll on and is very maintenance-free!

PEACE

Comment

I had the laminate flooring in a previous home. It is less expensive, but if you drop something and puts a hole you can't replace that board. My dishwasher leaked and didn't know it and the water soaked into the boards.

My new home I elected the wood flooring because it is sealed, the individual board can be replaced or can be sanded and refinished.

Comment

Working...
            X