what is your favorite christmas cookie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is your favorite christmas cookie

I am getting ready to send cookies to Iraq and bring some "home" to our soliders. I have 17 so far and it is growing. Can you help by telling me What is your favorite Christmas cookie and a memory or memories/funnny christmas's story/and or traditions I can share with them. I will write a gerenic letter to them and so I thought I could take what you write and make a Christmas letter to share our memories with them and with your permission to do so. This will be annonymous.

My mother would very rarely make those "candy window" cookies with my sister and me. It's regular sugar cookies with a space cut out in the middle. Then you crush lollipops and sprinkle the crumbs into the space. They melt in the oven and then harden when you take them out. So you have a sugar cookie with, say, a red heart in the middle. That was always a fun treat for us kids.
    Proud Mom of three kids!
    dx'd 1996

Comment

Butterballs

My mom was a wonderful cook and baker, and I learned by watching and asking a million question (some things never change).

Every Christmas she made Butterballs (aka Snowballs or Mexican Wedding Cookies) and I loved rolling them in the confectioner's sugar when they came out of the oven.

What made them the best in the world - and the Family Secret - was that she ground the walnuts fine. My mom ground them fine because the good ole USMC had pulled all my dad's teeth and gave him dentures that never quite fit. My brother, sister and I thought that was hysterical and he would take out his teeth and chase us. Not your typical Xmas story but then we were never your typical family. Despite the denture blunder my dad is fiercely loyal to the Marines and the USA!
      M.
      A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
      Albert Einstein

Comment

My favorite Christmas cookie is the cut out sugar cookie. Loved making them with my mom and brothers, frosting them and then the best part******* picking out what kind of sprinkles to use on them. The one I liked the best-- and still do, is the little round colored sprinkles. I think they are called "nonpareils"

Comment

How to choose? My grandmother made mountains of Christmas cookies every year. She made up special collections of them for every household in the family (nine in all)- including those of her grandchildren. There must have been seven different kinds of cookies.

Many of the recipes can't be found anywhere but in her old cookbooks. I guess my favorites were the frosty fruit bars. They were a spiced cookie dough with walnuts and glaceed fruit used in fruitcakes, with a sweet frosting covered in colored sugar.
          I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

What a wonderful thing to do. My very favorite cookie was the one my mom made that day. And, I am sure our troops over there will think the same. Anything you make will be the best

God Bless you
            Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

My favorites are definitely peanut butter blossoms. It's been a tradition to make them for as long as I can remember.

Every year we make anywhere from 2,500 to 7,000 cookies. (but not just PBBs)
              ~~~Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free.~~~
              ~~~Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing.~~~
              ~~~This is the ultimate.~~~

Comment

When I was stationed in Japan, my Mom would send these huge boxes of cookies each year for Christmas.
                Way too much for me so I got in the habit of leaving the boxes in Crew's Mess (I was buds with the cooks) and the guys could grab what they wanted.
                It was a HUGE hit with the crew and I almost got my Mom qualified in submarines. She did get a formal thank you letter from the command and the guys.

Anyway, thank you for doing this. The folks who are away truelly appreciate a taste of home.

In terms of what to bake, a variety usually works. You can try the classics- sugar cookies, toll house, PB, etc. and maybe throw in some "off the wall" stuff to see how it goes.
                My Mom used to enjoy experimenting with her oven and one year she tried out a recipe for what were basically mini fruit cake cookies. Nobody likes fruit cake, right? You'd be surprised, they were a hit.
                If you want to try for a home run, check out some of the ethnic cookie recipes. Polish cookies can be a pain to bake and ship but I've seen very macho guys tear up when they found them in the box.
                Things have probably changed since I was in the service, if this is going to be a stealth cookie drop you may want to contact the over-all command first and ask if there are any guidelines to sending baked goods to the front line.

Again, thanks for doing this.

Comment

No contest.
                  The ones with the Hersheys Kiss in the middle!
                  When I was a kid my mom would bake them ahead of time and try to hide them.
                  It was very funny, I would find them and eat a few and try to rearange them so nobody would know. Problem was my older brother would do the same as would my older sister.
                  Needless to say there were rarely any left at Christmas.

It was like a little treasure hunt every year.
                  Each of us would find the secret stash and not tell the others because if we all did this trick...there would be no cookies left.

Of course we would all find the stash and take a couple of cookies. Days before my mom brought them out all the Kiss cookies would be gone.
                  (they must be the best?)

My mom was very sweet and would always make more for us to devour without the search.

Have not had one for years now (gluten free/dairy free diet) But I will forever crave those wounderful cookies.

Thanks for baking for the troops.
                  If I were stuck in that armpit of a place,I can't think of anything better to raise my spirits.
                  Bless you for bringing some sweetness to their lives.

Comment

Linzer tarts... Or is that Linser? or maybe Lindser? HELP

(Round with hole and strawberry jam in center w. powder sugar)

YUM

Jer

Comment

My favorite Christmas cookie has always been sugar cookies. My mom would make a bunch every year. We would decorate them with sprinkles and icing. I would always eat so much cookie dough that I was sick...I actually still do that.

Hmmm...I need to find some good gluten free sugar cookie recipes now darnit!
                      dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

Comment

My mom's secret recipe sugar cookies, hands down! Prefer cut-out & decorated.

Of her "newer" recipes, cranberry stars. It is a buttery 2-layer sugar-type cookie with cranberry sauce in the middle.

Of course PB blossoms, thumbprints w/jelly, snowballs (made w/finely ground pecans) -- don't have room for the entire list!

Grandma makes something I call "Grandma candy" -- white almond bark, Trix cereal, mini-marshmallows, peanuts - YUMMY!
                        DX 10/2008
                        Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                        Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                        Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Pizzelles! My family has this antique pizzelle iron that's been in the family for God only knows how long. The store bought Pizzelles are nowhere near as good as the homemade cookies my aunt makes.
                          Dx'd RRMS 5/27/11 · Started Betaseron 6/13/11

Comment

yummy

My mom made these gingerbread cookies one year- I know they had molasses in them. They were soft and chewy with this fantastic green icing and little red hots for decorations. Those things were good.
                            Unfortunatley when she tried to make them in following years they turned out to be really hard and crunchy and didnt have the same effect.
                            Oh well they were something I will always remember about my childhood Christmas. I always say to her "hey mom you remember that year you made those delicious gingerbread cookies.." We have never been able to get the recipe right since.
                            ~seeuinct (Connecticut)
                            Dx the first time: 10/25/11
                            Avonex 1/12-10/12
                            Revaluation of Dx 10/12
                            Rediagnosis 7/14

Comment

My hubby use to make these really great dark chocolate cookie with maraschino cherry in the middle. I would give anything to find that recipe. This one he made up himself.

Comment

Working...
                              X