GeoMoore, yeah you.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GeoMoore, yeah you.

Wow calling myself a Vet is strange. Retired active duty Navy submariner on 7 OCT 2011. Enlisted in Nov1985. I'm on terminal leave now. 1 DEC 2011 is the official retirement date. I've been away for a while but back now and very glad to see this site. I was Dx 2006 with PP MS. Sx were not too noticible...so I was able to avoid all the Doctors....and stay in. Last duty station in DC the command knew about the Dx and let me finish my time out.

I'm waiting on a disability determination. How long does it take? I was able to to complete all VA evaluations before I retired. Now I'm just waiting on the VA.

And going nuts!!!! This is the first time in 26 yrs that I have been not working. The poor dog is all messed up...."Hey what are you doing home??" Apparently I am "disturbing" his sleep time !!!

Again thanks for the ability to talk with other VETs....one day soon I will consider myself one of you....
    Just wanted to move this out of the Intro thread.
    First off, welcome aboard. I'm guessing you got qualified before me, which makes you senior to me.
    Of course, I got qualified on manly diesel boats and fast attacks, so maybe not.
    It sounds like you retired out, good on ya. That makes your position with the VA pretty stout, if you choose the VA for treatment. You've probably got Tricare already, a lot of this is going to depend on what happens to Tricare and where you choose to get treated.
    The VA can be a life saver or it can be a total pain in shaft alley, if you get my drift. It all really depends on where you'll find a good Neurologist and how well they run the hospital.
    What I would suggest is to start looking for a VA Rep now.
    You can interview these folks and find the best fit for what you want. That brings up another point, what exactly DO you want? How are your symtoms? Take some time to think this over but you'll want to start MS treatment as soon as you can. The bad stuff is the stuff you can't feel and the sooner you start the better in the long run.
    Before this gets too long I should also mention USSVI/Subvets. Dues are cheap and meetings are painless. Imagine having somewhere that you can tell sea stories without getting in trouble, that's Subvets in a nut shell.
    Yeah, they do some good stuff but being able to "vent off" again instead of sitting in the corner and grinning like a Cheshire cat because you can't say anything is huge.
    Anyway, don't be stranger- this is a pretty cool place. This sub-forum is mainly for VA/Vet/Active Duty stuff but we're pretty flexible. The main forums are a great place to learn about MS and meds.
Working...
X