Darn walker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darn walker

I have done my PT and OT after a long episode. (about March to August). I went from walking with a cane to a walker. I kept walking even the lot of aborted falls and a few falls. PT is life long with MS so I try to keep in shape. The great thing is I'm coming back. When I was discharged from my PT and OT with much great advice and ideas.
    Ok cut to the chase, they told me do NOT use my cane, use my walker, my gate is better with it and less danger of falling. The problem I keep forgetting and walking away. The darn thing will be in the bathroom and I'll on the other side of house. How do I keep myself from getting into trouble (suddenly tired and stumbling no walker.)
    Do you have any suggestion?
    Oh yes sometimes I trip on stupid thing. I love it and hate it.

Can you walk along and do the "wall walk"? Even with the cane I sometimes "touch" the wall for better balance. Just the other day I found I had walked into the kitchen without the cane. Guess I didn't "need it" at the time and didn't even think about it.

Comment

I would suggest getting an extra walker and have one for each side of the house. Not worth the risk, trust me.
      When you say your trip, do you mean on the walker?
      Be Well,
      Susan

Comment

Yes, I trip on the walker's wheels. Good idea adding my extra walk on one end of the house. Thx

Comment

Walking away from walker

First let me tell you that I am not able to walk away from my walker, but in my dreams I do. I never have a walker in my dreams. Once in awhile while dreaming I think wait where's my walker and then I go looking.

My idea is place it right in front of. You so you will see it and could not move without moving it. Wall walking, having another walker in another room or a cane just to get you back to the walker would be great.

You do not want to fall.

Coral12

Comment

Yes, ultimately leaving the walking with you at all times is the best solution. If you trip on the wheels, see if the can exchange the wheels for smaller ones or turn them inward.

Different walkers have different styles structures, although slight, but can make a significant difference for some people.

Talk to your PT and see what options are available.
            Be Well,
            Susan

Comment

I am not yet at the stage of needing a walker, but I have canes placed all over the house.

Comment

I use a rolling walker w/ a seat. It's called a Rollator. My Neuro wrote me a RX & my insurance paid for it. It has locking brakes, a basket,& takes me all over the house.
                If I get tired I just turn around & sit. Look it up on line & ask your PT or neuro about it.
                God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

Working...
                X