Currently working but need to apply for SSDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Currently working but need to apply for SSDI

I am currently working a 40 hr work week. I don't know how long I can work, the field I am in is accounting and have been forgetting some of the computer skills I use everyday. I am going for a cognitive test on the 3rd, I just want to have my neuro have the findings in this records.
    I was out in Jan on short term dis from my job and the syptoms came back in July and that's when I went for the dx of MS in August and have been on Rebif since them.
    I do want to apply for SSI because I know I cannot consentrate on my job and have been told by my supervisor my mistakes, which my HR & supervisor know of my dx. I am 53 and and have been working for 35 yrs,
    how soon can I apply for SSI? Thanks.
    Maggienor

Me too

Would be interesting to know the answer too......am also working full time but employer is asking more of me and I do not know if I can fulfill obligations.......have stellar reputation..... do not want to ruin it by staying too long just to prove I can do it.......

Comment

My understanding is that you cannot be working when you apply for SSDI. I applied after I stopped working.
      Sue
      Previous Meds: Avonex, Copaxone
      Beta Babe: January 2007

Comment

You can be working, but not making more than SGA, about $1000 per month. But, if you are working, even a little, it will be much harder.
        Bill
        Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Maggienor, if you are working over the SGA dollar amount
          ($1,000 gross per month, before taxes for non-blind individuals for the year 2011), then you cannot apply (unless you have impairment related work expenses which can lower your earnings). Bill implies it will be much harder to win a claim if one is working, even under the SGA amount. That depends upon how much one is working, e.g., hours and duties. At steps 4 and 5 of SSA's 5 step sequential evaluation process, SSA much consider one's residual functional capacity (RFC). If one is working, that can be taking into account in determining one's RFC.

Rich
          Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
          X