Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, what's the story behind your user name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many of us have some pretty unique user names (though there are some who use variations of their real name.) What's the story behind your user name?

I'll start off with mine. When I was a teenager, my parents started keeping foster kids. One of them was an 18-month-old baby boy named Stoney. We all loved Stoney very much and my parents planned to adopt him. I helped take care of him and loved my little brother.

Everyone else in the family called me "Sissy", but little Stoney couldn't say Sissy. It always came out "Shashi" instead. Soon, everyone started calling me "Shashi" too. It's a nickname that stuck for years.

When Stoney was about three years old, my grandfather had a stroke. My mom called his caseworker to see if we could get someone to watch Stoney while we traveled out of state. The caseworker got angry (she was an alcoholic) and took Stoney away from us permanently. We never saw him again, and we don't know what happened to him after he left us.

In honor of him, I always use Shashi as my user name on the computer. It helps remind me of little Stoney, my sweet baby brother, who would be almost 39 years old now.

I also later found out that in India, Shashi also means moonlight. I like that.

Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Cute story Shashi! Mine is boring, just first initial/last name and some numbers from a street adress I had years ago that I can remember. Sometimes, I use JBJingles in forums which is a nickname from many years ago as well.
    Prob MS 9-14-04; Dx PPMS 9-16-11; RRMS 12-15-11
    Ampyra 10mg 2xday
    Copaxone 1/20/12

Comment

Hawkgirl because my last name is Hawkins, and because DH and I love DC comics and when they had the JSA cartoon on Cartoon Network, my fav character was Hawkgirl. She's everything I wish I could be: aggressive, strong, violent, resilient. Plus she's a hot redhead who can fly! Awesome!
      Proud Mom of three kids!
      dx'd 1996

Comment

What a touching story, Shashi.. and how wonderful you honor him! Mine name was going to be something like yours! When I was learning to talk I couldn't say my name and it sounded something like your username. It was a nickname for years and with some variation, Seasha came into being.
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I was a dancer in my previous life, with jazz being my favorite form (vs. ballet, tap and modern). I just sat down and chose that while figuring out what to call myself (vs. what my friends call me, which is unprintable here ).
          “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
          Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Mine comes from my husband and his friends.

He's tall and thin ( 6'3", 130-135 lbs.) , so his nickname is "Bones". We had a ...let's say unusual, courtship, so most of his friends didn't know of my existence until we were married. There was one social event at which his friends were surprised with my introduction.

It went something like this:

Bones: "Hey, guys. This is my wife." and he walks away.

Guys: "Um....Hi..... Mrs. Bones?"

I have been Mrs. Bones, Mrs. or Bones depending on whether or not he's in the room, since. I think there are still some who never knew my real name.

Comment

Some would argue I own "toomnyhats" ...

My story isn't as exciting as some here!

I collect vintage ladies hats, circa 1940-early 60s. Currently I own 150+. Plus hat pins (how else would I keep the hats on?!) Plus gloves. Plus vintage costume jewelry. Plus a few dresses & coats. Plus 1-2 vintage "unmentionables".

Did I mention that I have been known to wear a completely vintage outfit (minus shoes-my feet are too big!)?

For my wedding I wore my great-grandmother's feather hat, grandmother's wedding pearls, vintage pearl earrings and vintage gloves with seed pearls.
              DX 10/2008
              Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
              Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
              Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Hmmm... this is interesting. My name is actually a song from my fiance's band. They came up with it about 3 years ago and I've been in love with it since. After my dx it meant even more to me.

Comment

hmm i think mine was because I had this sign "you are my sunshine" hanging on my wall........... i love that phrase. i was searching for a name........ well there ya have it lol.

soo not deep
                  Jen Dx'd 5/11
                  "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

Scooter is a nick name many people put on me as my name is Scott, the 24 is the number of my favorite Nascar driver Jeff Gordon, I have met him numerous times and have been a fan of his since about 1988 before he was in Nascar.
                    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Defya and Serendipity

My selection came from the serendipity of interests and events. I absolutely love theater and musical theater. The weekend between undergoing my diagnostic MRI and its interpretation, I saw the musical, "Wicked."

As a long time dancer who now has no balance, I was taken with the notion and the lyrics to one of the songs, "Defying Gravity."

I am also first generation Italian, so now I am she who tries to "Defy-a" gravity--both at the physical and psychological levels. (and...I would never miss a chance to create a silly pun)
                      Ritalinda

Comment

Great thread and great stories - nice to read them all.

I have one granddaughter and when very young she called both of her grandmothers "Ma" - to distinguish between us, see added the "audi" (her way of saying Audrey) and added ma - therefore Audima.

She is now 15 and the name has continued to this day - it does make for a unique computer name.

Comment

I grew up in the coastal mountains of California. Although I moved to Minnesota in '76 and have now lived in the Midwest longer than I lived on the coast, my heart is still under the redwoods.

Hence, my username.

Comment

I just thought it might be fun to have women like Heather Locklear and Pamela Anderson throw themselves at me.

Comment

Originally posted by tommylee View Post
                              I just thought it might be fun to have women like Heather Locklear and Pamela Anderson throw themselves at me.
                              Good one, Tommylee!! You made me laugh out loud over that one!
                              Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
                              Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                              Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Working...
                              X