Hysterectomy advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hysterectomy advice

I am scheduled for a hysterectomy November 18 and am curious if anyone has had any exacerbation of your MS symptoms after the surgery

Hysterectomy & MS

My first gynecologist said I couldn't have one because of my MS. So I went to another one who consulted with an anesthesiologist who said a person with MS could have surgery as long as they were ambulatory. I don't feel the surgery initially caused any new symptoms. This was 3 years ago. But the last year and a half have been hard. Just was told a few weeks ago that I'm now secondary progressive.

Be sure to have help and to take time to heal - no overdoing it.

Comment

I had a hysterectomy in December 2000 and it was my first big relapse afterward. But I had an elderly doctor and he did the surgery with the large vertical abdominal incision and it took me a long time to recover. I was also anemic, underweight and under extreme stress at the time.

You might want to request estrogen therapy afterward. I had small dose therapy and I don't think it was enough for the shock to my system. I would want to start higher then move to a lower dose after you start to heal.

Good luck and keep us posted.
      Take care, Wiz
      RRMS Restarted Copaxone 12/09

Comment

I think it depends on the person and definitely the surgery. I had my hysterectomy and it was done laparascopically (a couple of small incisions and then everything came out vaginally). I was able to keep my ovaries so I don't have hormone replacements.

That said, it is a hard surgery to come back from. You have to expect to be out the complete 6-8 weeks they tell you. For me, the fatigue was the worst. I didn't have any flares per say, but my balance was worse, other symptoms weren't awesome either. Just no big new symptoms or anything. Just take it easy, definitely let others take care of everything. Prepare ahead of time as much as possible (freeze meals, or let others take care of it).

hystersisters is a GREAT website and resource for hysterectomies if you didn't already know about it.

Now, that said- the hysterectomy was the BEST thing I ever did for myself. I had it when I was 27 years old. Young!!. But, I really had no idea how miserable I felt and how much worse it was making my neuro symptoms on top of it!

We tried everything else before doing the hysterectomy (ablation, BC pills, etc) to fix my issues and it just didn't. I don't regret the hysterectomy one bit. The recovery stinks, just like any other major surgery. But it will make you feel better in the long run.

Good luck! I hope your surgery goes well and the recovery is fast and easy.
        Erin

doing the Limbo since 2005

Comment

i had a full, cut across the belly, take EVERYTHING out hysterectomy 8 yrs before dx, but according to neuro i already had MS then.
          it wasn't an easy surgery because endometreosis (sp?) had taken over basically everything up to my lungs.
          it took me about a mo. to recoup, but i don't remember any unusual sx that would have been an exacerbation just normal surgery stuff. (i've had 12, so unfortunately, i'm a little experienced in what to expect)

only your dr and neuro can advise you as to what is best. but i'm so glad i had mine. i felt a lot better after getting all that infection out of me. (no that time of the month is a BIG plus!)
          i'll be praying that all goes well with you.
          just listen to your body as you recoup and take it easy!
          "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

I had a hysterectomy right before my dx. I had no issues with it at all. I know I had ms before the surgery too as 2 months before the surgery I had a relapse.

I had the DeVinci robot perform the surgery.

I will tell you that I am sooo grateful that I no longer have to worry about girlie issues when dealing with ms.
            Love, Laugh, Live...in this order
            Dx'd 2-24-11 - Baclofen 60 mg/day 5-11, LDN 4.5 mg/day 9-24-11, Cymbalta 60mg/day for pain 11-11

Comment

Thanks Ladies you have all been so helpful, I didn't even blink when the Doc said I needed the surgery this is the one thing I can control. My only worry has been the affect it would have on my MS and since my Nuro is on vacation (will talk to him on Monday) It has been nice to hear your experiences. Thanks Again I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

I had a tougher time for about a week, with my legs. Had to use the walker. But when that passed I was back to "normal". My next big flare wasn't for a few years...but...having said that, everyone is different.

I wish you the best of luck!!
                coffa

Comment

Working...
                X