SSI for a child inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSI for a child inquiry

What is the process to apply for a child. Doctors mentioned I should be able to apply (child with MS, and acute optic neuritis - lost vision in one eye and damage was done in the other from a previous attack. Although they stated I should apply no one stated where to start and what to do.

Where do I start first, this sounds like a very sticky process? Can my child receive benefits even if I work?

Any advise would help - Thanks

The parents income is counted until the individual reaches the age of 18.
    I think you can start filing online, SSA.gov.

Comment

For information: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disabi..._child_eng.htm

To apply:
      http://www.socialsecurity.gov/applyf...lity/child.htm

Also, I know that your child is only 12, but do keep in mind also visiting your state's DOL and checking into the Vocational Rehabilitation Program. Or the Ticket to Work Program :
      http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10061.html

The reason I suggest these is that s/he will be limited in both benefit and income potential through SSI and will not be eligible for SSDI later without a work history. While your child could potentially be considered disabled now, it's very possible that with the assistance that these kinds of programs offer, s/he may be able to enter the workforce in a field of their choice, go to college, attend trade schools or receive adaptive training . All of which has the potential to obviously provide a better financial outcome, but to also provide a better outlook, self-confidence and something every person (teens at job age, especially ) craves, a little normalcy.

I used my state's VRP in my mid-teens (my first relapse was at 13). I had OT and medical equipment supplied or mostly funded, tuition paid and finally started a career that took me through 17 years before I had to switch, finally going onto SSDI just a couple years ago. It may not be possible for every disabled child, but if s/he wants to try and can, why not?

Comment

Hello, SBryant822 and everyone. SBryant822, the SSI disability program, unlike the SSDI disability program, is a needs-based disability program. That means that income and resources are considered. So if you are working, then it is possible that your child may not be eligible for benefits. I refer to something that SSA fondly calls its "Deeming Break Even Points," which is a chart telling you how parents' earnings, for example, can affect a child's eligibility. Consult with Social Security regarding your specific financial situation.

In reviewing SSA's Listings of Impairments, there is no children's listing for MS, however, there is a listing for impairments in motor function due to any cause.

Let me know if you have further questions; I'm here to help.

Rich
        Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
        X