SSDI Eligibility for "Probable" PPMS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSDI Eligibility for "Probable" PPMS?

Stuck in Limbo with a probable diagnosis of PPMS and after looking at all the 4 criteria for the SS listing for MS, I more than meet all four criteria (i.e. Disorganization of motor function, mental impairment, etc) used in evaluating Impairments caused by MS. Do have MRIs that show significant lesions, though rest of testing is inconclusive.

Doctor has encouraged me to begin process of filing for Disability......but how can I when I do not have a "official MS" diagnosis...just Probable? In his off records words..more than likely...I guess we wait for whatever he feels he needs to make it official.

Can I file using MS as a reason for disability without an official diagnosis?I am not sure what to do or how best to approach this....
    Also...has anyone else been successful in obtaining disability with "probable"...and disabling MS Symptoms.
    Was it a years long process or short?
    Any advice would be appreciated

You don't have to have an 'Official Diagnosis', just be Disabled. You will need your Doctor's support. All I did was fill out the Paperwork on their Web Page. I did have to go to my PCP for him to fill out a Report. Took a little less than 3 Months. If you are concerned it would be a good idea to get a Lawyer, no out of pocket cost to you. Richard here represents Clients from all over the Country.
    Bill
    Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

I got SSDI

With a probable dx. It helps to be over 50 and a lot of work credits.
      Now that I haven't worked in 11 years, I find that I don't have MS
      I also fired that neuro
      techie
      Another pirated saying:
      Half of life is if.
      When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
      Dogs Rule!

Comment

I am not over 44 so I am probably going to have some difficulty.
        My neuro wants to send me to U of M for evaluation and am not sure if this would be productive since I am assuming the tests I would take would all be the same that I just completed. Not sure what else there could be done except wait.

Comment

Having the Tests done again can be very good since the Person doing the Tests may see something different or new. A new perspective may be just what is needed.
          Bill
          Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

You shouldn't assume the tests will be the same.
            My Neuro also teaches at the Med. school in my state and she has a habit of throwing all kinds of new stuff at me in terms of "physical" tests (as opposed to lab tests).
            It also depends a lot on how these tests are observed. Different Drs. can have different experience levels and histories with patients. Like Bill said, having more Drs. check you out is not a bad thing. Also, going to a university (teaching) hospital is a good idea if you still don't have a diagnosis.

As far as filing for disability, if you have no other options then go ahead and file. You paid into this stuff when you were working, there can be the false impression that you're trying to get something for nothing but you didn't choose to get your symtoms.
            It seems that many times you can get disability or get stuck in a lot of filings and appeals based on where you live.
            Sadly, if you live in a state that has high unemployment it may be tougher.

Comment

I have probable MS and have filed for SSDI. I have cognitive impairment and Memory loss.

I am still going thru the process and have a lawyer to help. I was incapable of working because I am not able to work and be productive because my memory loss was preventing me from remembering words, doing math, etc.

It might be a battle to get approved, but I really do not know what else to do. I tried cleaning homes but could not keep clients because I would forget to clean things, and my vision is getting so bad that I did not see the mistakes I had made.

It's really maddening, getting the diagnosis is tough and at times takes years, in the interim we have health concerns that do not have a real explanation. This alone makes approval for disability tough.

Good luck. I hope things work out for us both.

LBJ

Comment

I have MS and was recently approved for SSDI. I have been disabled for 2 years and out of work. My SSDI eligibility date was determined to be my diagnosis date of Feb, 2011. I was not given credit for the disability months during which we sought a diagnosis.
                SS has just this year changed the way they deal with these type disabilities. Unless your mobility is visibly affected your chances are slim. My first claim for SSDI I had no diagnosis and filed mostly on the claim of cognition and fatigue issues. This claim was denied.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnwillow View Post
                  SS has just this year changed the way they deal with these type disabilities. Unless your mobility is visibly affected your chances are slim. My first claim for SSDI I had no diagnosis and filed mostly on the claim of cognition and fatigue issues. This claim was denied.
                  I've been on SSDI for 6 years now & when applying i researched this very much. I was approved the first time i applied base on an unexpected diagnosis....it was such a traumatic experience i continued to research it..kind of what happen?

I really don't think its fair to say anything will be denied or approved...its more like a lottery ticket or predicting the stock market, a person just has to try it to see what their chances are. its a very political process and the chances change depending what the politics are at the time. I agree with that. age matters too.
                  SS uses an equation that
                  Disability = disabilty level - retrainability.

And retrainability goes down with every year of life. Their disability factor is base on year of 10. So don't apply when your at a "9" wait until you change into the next decade of life. for better chances.

and i also do not tat it can be said anything will be denied. I also it is tougher in some states than others, in SOME states it might be an automatic denial but not so in other states.

in 2004 there was a news shoew that discussed this and they listed the states with high denial rates at the time. I used to have the states written down, but i cleaned up and threw it out, but i still have the video book marked, so you can stop the video and list the states with higher denial rates....the automatic denials....

Bummer CBS does not have the video which showed tjhe more difficult states to apply in. they left behind the written story. The state you live in matters!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-500690_1...in;contentBody
                  xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

U of M Dr....

Originally posted by JILLSHYE View Post
                    I am not over 44 so I am probably going to have some difficulty.
                    My neuro wants to send me to U of M for evaluation and am not sure if this would be productive since I am assuming the tests I would take would all be the same that I just completed. Not sure what else there could be done except wait.
                    Not sure I can post this on here... My Neuro is Dr Carpenter at the U... I actually see him at the maple grove clinic though.... Anyways, VERY happy with him and I highly recommend him! I went through the same "probable" thing with my local nuero so the 2 hour drive is way worth it to me!!!

Comment

Hello, everyone. I have posted before that there is another listed impairment that does not require an official MS diagnosis. I am on a public computer that does not allow me to have two web pages open at the same time, however, I believe that it is the Listing following the MS Listing. I will try to visit SSA's Listings page and then get back to you with information in this regard. SSA does require a medically determinable impairment to qualify for disability. It doesn't have to be MS, though, of course.

Rich
                      Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
                      X