Botox for Incontinence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Botox for Incontinence

I posted this information on another part of the site, but perhaps this is a more appropriate place. One week ago, I had botox injections in my bladder to prevent leakage. Amazingly, it has worked. I still have to self-cath, not a big deal after 2 years, but I do not need Depends and can sleep though the night. I have to cath on a regular schedule. I wondered how I would know if it was necessary to cath at a non-scheduled time. I feel a pressure in my abdomen and if I pay attention, I have more than enough time to get to a bathroom.
    Botox for MS patients with incontinence was approved by the FDA on August 26. My insurance is Medicare which pays for FDA approved procedures. I do not know if there any parameters for insurance coverage on future procedures. I do know that the botox will wear off with time and injections will be needed again.
    The procedure took minutes but I was under general anesthesia and was out for about an hour. I believe that it took about four or five days for my body to recover from having the procedure.
    I am thrilled with the results and would suggest that others contact their neurologist and/or urologist regarding the appropriateness of the procedure.

Great news, Irene! It's such a blessing to just be able to get a good night's sleep. .

Hopefully, you'll be able to go for a good while before you need to do a repeat.
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Bo Tox for incontinence

This is interesting I had not heard about this. Glad this is working for you. What a relief it must be

Comment

Relief +not k

It is great to
        • not leak
        • wear depends
        • think about buying real underwear

I do not know how long with will last, how many times that the procedure can be repeated

Comment

Re: Botox for Incontinence

Botox has showed great results for MS incontinent patients. But the botox treatment is currently being administered in patients in extreme stages of MS.

Comment

Define extreme cases of MS. Incontinence is a quality of life and a health issue. There is no blueprint for the course of the disease in individuals. I can drive, walk short distances with a walker, and have not experienced cognitive difficulties. The botox procedure has made a huge difference in my emotional and physical life.

My concern now is how long I have before the procedure must be repeated and how many times it can be repeated. And there is the matter of cost. The hospital bill for the botox along was over $7000. I have a minimal co-pay.

The procedure requires anesthesia and should not be taken lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by ireneg View Post
              Define extreme cases of MS. Incontinence is a quality of life and a health issue. There is no blueprint for the course of the disease in individuals. I can drive, walk short distances with a walker, and have not experienced cognitive difficulties. The botox procedure has made a huge difference in my emotional and physical life.

My concern now is how long I have before the procedure must be repeated and how many times it can be repeated. And there is the matter of cost. The hospital bill for the botox along was over $7000. I have a minimal co-pay.

The procedure requires anesthesia and should not be taken lightly.
              Hi, with "extreme stage" I meant Advanced Multiple Sclerosis. The botox gradually weakens the bladder and thus being used as a final tool for the incontinent patients and those who are are using suprapubic cystostomy for urinating.

Comment

Working...
              X