Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RICHARD: if you or anyone else could answer..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RICHARD: if you or anyone else could answer..

I am currently waiting for a response for ssi and disability. My question is: some people I know want to throw a benefit for me. Is this going to mess everything up? Will I get denied? I'm really at a rock and hard place so I would like to except their generous offer to have a benefit and help me out, but I also don't want to have to wait and have to reapply and all that all over again, as I have absolutely no income and 2 kids. Thanks for any responses in advance...

Hi JDWink

what nice friends you have...personally I would accept the benefit and just keep it off the record..it's helping you out until you get your disability so it doesn't need to be included in anything-that's MY opinion

My best to you
    Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Originally posted by Camsue View Post
      what nice friends you have...personally I would accept the benefit and just keep it off the record..it's helping you out until you get your disability so it doesn't need to be included in anything-that's MY opinion

My best to you
      Thank you! This may sound silly, but how do you keep it off the record?

Comment

off the record

my experience with SSI is that you are 'self reporting' A person has to fill out forms and declare any gifts (like birthday..really?) and you're allowed a bank account with $2000, a car, etc.

When I worked in the mental health field we had people receiving SSI and sometimes received an 'inheritance'. This money was put into a trust and did not affect their benefits.

I have been 'retired' for 15 years but I believe guidelines have not changed too much. Hopefully you have a trusted family member or friend to manage any larger 'trust'or account.

Hope the benefit goes well
        Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

This is an excellent question and, unfortunatly, the answers usually involve some real headaches.
          I get a pension from the VA that is pretty close to the SSI guidelines, basically the only other "income" I'm elligable for are food stamps and HEAP (heating assistance).
          I got a dear "Dear John" letter from the VA six months after my pension started saying they were docking me $200 a month because I reported to them that I got picked to work the census (this was about 3 months before I even knew if I was going to get a pension). I had to take the census job to avoid going homeless and explained it to my case worker, back at the time.
          Still, this is the benefits side of the VA and they seem to enjoy making us stressed out.
          Long story short, I was able to appeal but I still lost the $200 a month for three months.

I guess what I'm saying is DON'T MESS AROUND. Since then, I "won" a 50/50 raffle at a meeting for a Vet's group I belong to and it wasn't worth the hassle of getting a $40 pay day that was going to kick my rear end again, so I donated the money back to the group before I got it.

You really need to make sure what you can accept (it might be OK to accept some canned food instead of the money, IT MIGHT NOT).

Comment

Dang, almost forgot- back when I got docked for $200 a month I also got a bill for a little over two grand to cover what I had already been paid.
            The folks who send out these benefits also know how to make it hurt if they think you're trying to pull a fast one.
            Part on my appeal was getting the back-payment bill dropped, since I was the one who ratted me out in the first place.

Keeping in mind that I've played by rules since before I submitted for the VA pension, try to avoid ANYTHING that could get you in hot water.

Comment

Thank you for your responses! Still haven't given the "go" on the benefit, It's been too long without money, and my luck is I'd get "caught"! SO frusterating!

Comment

You should also explain this to the folks who are trying to do a good thing.
                Be sure they understand your situation. We seem to be the ones who get in hot water when other people think they know what's going on.
                They want to do a good thing and feathers can get ruffled when you turn it down.
                Maybe they can do the benefit- as long as you don't get any benefit from the benefit. I'd also be careful if they want to attach your name to it. Just imagine a bean counter somewhere saying, "Hey wait a minute, why is JD making this charitable contribution if we're already paying him/her? Maybe we need to have a talk with them and re-assess their status?".
                Don't laugh, its happened.

Comment

Hi, JD and everyone. It sounds like this money will be a gift to you, right? Generally speaking, the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) program does not consider unearned income, such as gifts, as earned income and generally would not make one ineligible to receive SSDI benefits. The other disability program, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a needs-based program and can consider unearned income. In either case, you are not working for the money, but with SSI, the money may affect benefits that one could receive. As my disclaimer states, my comments are not to be used as advice for your particular situation and do not substitute for legal counsel for your particular situation; this is just general information, JDWink. Sorry to hear that you are in such a bad, hopefully temporary, financial situation.

Rich
                  Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
                  X