mammogram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mammogram

Just had my first mammogram today. I am 50 years old & have sort of been putting it off. Enuf breast cancer stories of friends/family/family of friends finally reached the tipping point, so I did it.

It hurt. Didn't expect that. Can I have a nice painless brain MRI now? So much more pleasant.

Originally posted by LindaT5761 View Post
    Just had my first mammogram today.
    It hurt.
    Good for you Linda! Sorry you found having a mammogram painful

I have been getting mammograms for ten year, started at age 40, and have never found them to be painful.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Get Those Mammograms

I am 53 and have been getting annual mammograms since I was 40. I was diagnosed with RRMS when I was 47. Two years ago I felt some lumps in my right underarm and after 2 mammograms, an ultrasound, excision biopsy, Tissue of Origin test and an axillary dissection it was determined that I had breast cancer - Stage IIa. A right mastectomy and 16 rounds of chemotherapy followed.

I certainly cannot say that any mammogram that I had was comfortable but the 2 minutes that I was in discomfort was absolutely worth it. I would much rather have my breast squeezed flat and shed a few tears than go through surgery, chemo, or radiation. Even if you do have cancer the earlier it is detected the easier it is to treat. Believe me, I know.

Please don't let one unpleasant experience keep you from taking care of yourself properly.

Comment

I'll be having one soon, in a new place. I'm just hoping the tech who does it is as good as I've experienced in the past. Yes it was uncomfortable, embarrassing, but the women who conducted the test made it almost fun. Nice that we could find the humor in that situation!

Comment

LP was less painful

I also have a lot of pain during the mammogram. The machine hits my upper ribs in a weird way - it's not the squeezing itself that's painful. But my SIL had breast cancer, so I agree with jessiesmom - it's totally worth it if it means you catch something early.

But I do always tell the tech that the LP for the MS diagnosis was less painful

Comment

Turned 40 this year and having a mammogram in December.

I had one when I was 32 because of some breast pain I was having -- and then I was diagnosed with "unexplained breast pain" ! Really ? Since when is that a diagnosis ?

So, I have had severe/sore breasts off and on for at least the last 8 years. And it is the opposite of what you would normally expect the cycle to be - which has confounded the doctors. It has improved slightly over the last few years.

Needless to say, I am hoping that I am not having the pain cycle when I go in for my appt. or it will be really unbearable !

Better to suffer and get them checked, though, I know !

Comment

As this is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, HOORAY for all of you who have had mammograms. And another HOORAY for all of you who suffer through the seconds of discomfort for the greater good.

I have had a lump removed as well as 4 sterotactic biopsies. I am not huge but have big girls for my size (DD or E). I go to a screening and diagnostic center where if your mammo is not normal they can go further that same day with lab results within 24 hours. If your results are not normal, they have you at a breast surgeons office in 24 hours. I think that is great. They also have digitial mammograms which is less uncomfortable that the others. They also have special comfort pads that they place on the plates which really help. The techs who work there only do breasts. They have additional training and they are wonderful. The center has the stereotactic equipment as well as MRI and ultrasound right there in the breast center. I work as an advocate volunteer for the center, doing breast health fairs for women. So I am a "nut" about breast health care.

If I have to have additional views, I am a little tender the next day. But I am happy to deal with that in lieu of the other side of the coin.

Linda-I have found that the tech who does it can make a big difference in how you feel. So next time-tell the tech how painful the first one was. Or ask where you go for someone who has lots of experience because your last one was not great. Speaking up for yourself is the best way to go.

lydialou

Comment

I've been having them since I was 35 due to a large family history. I did have breast cancer in 2003, and the radiation oncologist and breast surgeon and I got along famously because I was able to educate them to the problems I might encounter due to the MS and the cancer treatment. It's sometimes good to have a big mouth!
                “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
                Diagnosed 1979

Comment

i had one i little time ago and it was not really painful just uncomfortable but even that was because the room was really too small for my wheelchair so there was a lot of twisting and reaching to get the required views ( i am big breasted too which does not help) the followed up with an ultrasound to get a clearer view as they found a suspiscious area on the mammogram and certainly is painful.

when i was younger i had a lump and they said ultrasound was more accurate in younger women as breast tissue is denser when you are young - so if the mammo was really too tough to repeat that may be an option but my personal thoughts are that a short term of discomfort is worth it rather than take the risk of missing a lump- mine was so deep in that there was noway i would feel it - that is enough to say i will have them regularly as early detection is the key to successful treatment- all these screening preocedures can be a bit unpleasant but having worked in pall care, lost both parents, 2 grand parents to various cancer ( my mum was the youngest of 9 and all of them and their parents died of one cancer or another!) I will not take the risk of being complacent.

My mum had the attitude that sooner or later some kind of cancer would get her so she chose to keep her head in the sand and avoid screening- my attitude is different, we all have some degree of risk and if there is the chance to pick a problem up early, its worth it- seen too much of palliative/hospice care already!

Comment

Breast Issues

I was recently diagnosed with MS. I also have Epilepsy, Neuropathy and Thyroid disease. I am wondering if there is a link between breast problems and MS. 11 years ago, 6 months after I stopped breastfeeding my youngest baby, I kept on and on making milk. After many dr visits, I was diagnosed with Cystic Fibrostic Breast Disease. It was VERY painful and lasted for 3 years...nothing would stop the production...just finally stopped on its own. Have any of you ever heard of this being associated with MS? I recall having MS symptoms since about 1995 but thought is was normal because it started out minor and stayed quiet until my Epilepsy reared its ugly head Sept 2010. Thank you for your replies. Sorry for the long post...just love having people to talk to who actually DO know and understand how I feel.

Comment

Working...
                    X