Muscles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muscles

I do pilates twice a week with private teachers and use a range of pilates machines. At the end of every lesson, my teacher stretches me. I know that my muscles in general are more flexible in my right leg than in my left, but I also seem to feel the stretches more deeply in my right leg than in my left. Oddly enough (?), when I walk, my right leg tires more quickly.

But my question is about sensation--is it possible for muscles to have loss of feeling? (I do feel co.d and heat.)

Thanks.
    Liz

I'd be interested in the answer to this question too. My left calf doesn't feel hardly anything when I stretch it out. Now the right one is a bit painful, like usual, when I first stretch. I just figured some axons bit the dust, after my 26years with the disease?!?
    Deb~

Comment

First of all it's great that you're doing pilates! Staying active is so important.

It's important to stretch before and after exercises. You may feel some stretches more that others due to tightening. This can occur from increased tone (tension) of the muscles which often happens with MS.

The leg tiring more quickly may be from weakness and over time will improve with your exercise. Or it may be as a result of MS Fatigue. MS is a disease of altered nerve conduction which is the process that controls your movements and functions. If you are performing the same action over and over, such as walking, the repetitive transmission can be altered. Example: I have issues with my right leg. If I'm asked to lift it 10 times, the first two will be to good height, then one by one it will get lower and lower until I can't do it at all.
      In addition, when we exercise, our body core temperature increases. We know heat isn't good for us because it too alters nerve conduction decreasing it's efficiency. So make sure you take frequent rest breaks, stay hydrated, and don't get too hot.

You can have lack of sensation and numbness in the leg and that can be of various degrees. It depends on what fibers are effected. If you don't feel something such as tightness or discomfort from stretching as you typically would, be VERY careful. You can cause harm due to lack of sensation.
      Be Well,
      Susan

Comment

Muscles, continued and MS fatigue

Hi Susan,

Many thanks for your reply, which was very helpful. I've sent it to my pilates teacher. From your description, I think one of my issues is MS fatigue. Is there anything special I should do to strengthen the affected muscles or just continue with the exercises I am doing. Many thanks. Liz

Comment

I think you're on the right track. Stretch daily (before and after exercises), hydrate -water preferred, rest BEFORE you get tired- learn your limits, journal if there are any new/changing symptoms, and stay motivated
          Be Well,
          Susan

Comment

stretching after is what people forget the most which is very important

Comment

Working...
            X