How do I get the doctors to listen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get the doctors to listen?

I'm a SSgt in the Air Force and have a myriad of random diagnoses from various military physicians. I have been experiencing many symptoms over the past three years that seem to suggest MS. I've even been diagnosed with an autoimmune deficiency that can be a sign of MS. But every time I have an episode of weak and numb limbs or vision disturbances it all gets chalked up to either stress and depression or pain related to a lower back injury I received a few years back. What does my lower back pain have to do with the fact that I can't use my right arm and hold a pencil to save my life at times?

I am so frustrated. For those who received a diagnosis while on active duty, what did you do to get the doctors to listen to you without rolling their eyes? I don't want to be a hypochondriac. I serve my country proudly and wouldn't want anything to stand in the way of me doing so...but there is definitely something wrong and I would just like some answers. Any advice?

Keep in mind that MS is usually what's left after the Drs. rule out a lot of other stuff.
    Any chance you can get refered to Neurologist?
    Don't say MS to them like its something you want, ask them if they can rule it out instead.

Comment

Keep copies of your medical records also, in case you don't get dx before you get out.
      Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I am also AD AF and I had the same issue. I had to go back to the PCM numerous times before he finally sent me to a neuro. Once I was sent to a neuro, he requested and MRI and guess what...I had multiple lesions on the brain. After that appt, I went back to my PCM on base and said, I do have an issue, it's called MS. Ever since my PCM has been really understanding and he actually apologized to me for not knowing that it was MS. All I can tell you is to keep going back and be insistent there is something wrong and request a referral!!!!
        Diagnosed April 2010

Copaxone May 2010 - April 2011; Tysabri May 2011 - Present

Comment

I too am ...

AD AF and I was diagnosed with MS in March of this year.
          This has not been an easy road and I too have been made to feel as if I were a hypochondriac at times. I don't have a good or easy answer for you, but I wanted you to know that you are not alone. Please ask questions or if you just need to vent, I would be happy to be an ear; my email address is in my profile.

I had my first two VA appointments today as the beginning of the DES process. I suspect my career is over although final word won't come for several months yet. Keep your chin up and reach out if you're so inclined.
          Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

wish i could have some good advice... my sx were vision. so that sent me to eye dr who sent me for ct scan which sent me for mri...ect.... you can always contract tricare and change pcm, or even clinics.... might help.

Comment

I got called a hypochondriac all the time... believe me, it's annoying. THough somewhat gratifying when you get your DX and then get to yell at your doctors for not listening in the first place.

What I would do, honestly? I would tell the docs that if they don't at least TRY to take you seriously, you'll go to patient admin. That is what it is there for.

If you can't use your arm, that's a BIG deal. And don't let them pin it on back pain, or E. Coli, or anything else. I had both arms go completely limp, plus a right leg back in '07, and they told me it was an E. Coli infection. YES, I had that infection, but how does that make your arms useless?

My neuro was furious when he read that in my records. Called the Military doctors 'retards', if memory serves correctly.

Comment

I had problems over and over while on active duty, especially vision related. I gave up getting proper prisms for my diplopia and went off base to get glasses. Poor medical care was my main reason for not shipping over and making a career of the Navy.

Even after the Navy, the VA was both a blessing and curse. In the 80s it got so bad I was sent to the shrinks for complaining. The shrinks determined I was not nuts or even depressed, just "adamant" that "something else" (besides diabetes and previous cancer) was wrong. Nobody would listen and I gave up for decades.

Then in 2009 a new civilian eye doc opened the MS can of worms. Only after that would they do a MRI or anything beyond suggesting I use a cane and take B12.

Such is the nature of the VA beast........

Gomer (a hard earned title)

Comment

Working...
                X