Anyone here read "The Onion"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here read "The Onion"?

It's a usually left-of-center faux newspaper that reports real news with a mostly political bent, but they wrote a short blurb about the untimely death of Steve Jobs that I think is a must read.

I can't post the direct URL because of the usage of a MSWorld banned curse word, but if you go to www.theonion.com, you'll see the article.
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Thanks for that! I'm still chuckling, which is rare for me at this hour of the morning.

Comment

What a great site! Never heard of it before...now life has meaning...

Comment

Glad you two enjoyed it! I've been reading them for years, and I love their twisted sense of humor! They even have a t.v. show now, but I've never watched it because I generally ignore the crap they show on television (except for HBO...I love "Curb..., and "Boardwalk Empire"...I live close to Atlantic City and can relate to the boardwalk in general. )
        “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
        Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Still giggling!

Thanks for this, Jazzgirl! I always enjoy and appreciate your posts and not just because I have an "Onion" sense of humor, am Philly-born and raised and prior to MS "the gift that keeps on taking," was also (in avocation) a dancer and choreographer.
          Ritalinda

Comment

You're welcome, Defya! Another dancer...yay! I miss it so much, but unless the studio where I used to dance gets somebody to add wheelchair dancing to their repertoire, I'm screwed! .

I still dance...sans my legs.... The heart never forgets.
            Diagnosed 1979

Comment

I soooo understand

(I tried to post this a few minutes ago and site locked up, so please forgive if this is a redundant post)

Yes, Jazzgirl, I get it. I still position my fancy cane as though I were dancing the finale of Chorus Line and squirm about in my chair if there is music anywhere in earshot. I also am required often to explain to my PT that "no, I cannot walk on my heels, but yes, I can walk a few steps on my toes" and "yes, my feet and hips really are permanently locked in first-position turn out."

AND as a South Philly girl exiled in Alabama (DH's work), I would trade my fancy cane in a heartbeat for a broccoli rabe sandwich on Amoroso bread from Tony Luke's. If you throw in tickets to the Philadelphia Orchestra, the PA Ballet or whatever is playing at the Kimmel Center, I might be willing to trade the DH as well. (but shhh! he's a sweetheart, so please don't tell him I made that offer)
              Ritalinda

Comment

Love their pork sandwiches w/broccoli rabe! His son runs the biz now, and they've opened up a place in Jersey right over the bridge (not too far from my 'rents in Williamstown), and a place in the kingdom of Bahrain, believe it or not!

The dancing "I think I get it!". I saw "A Chorus Line" in NYC 3 weeks before the WTC came tumbling down compliments of Osama Bin Laden. I was able to get pics of the trade center buildings while taking a water taxi to the Statue of Liberty. Three weeks later, they were gone.

I've had MS for an extraordinarily long time, but I was able to continue dancing into my very early thirties. Now, I can't walk at all. That's what 30+ years of MS brings to the table. But, I'm still a relatively happy person, with all my crazy friends from a gazillion years ago! My lack of legs doesn't seem to faze them... . My husband on the other hand......;/
                Diagnosed 1979

Comment

I lubs The Onion. I also love posting their articles on my FB page and watching people get riled up not realizing it's satire. Mwuahahaha. It's good for a few chuckles.

:-P
                  I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

I was at a party when they first started on the web and had a young high-schooler discuss some of their stuff with me. None of my friends got it, but this young boy did...what does that say about me, jj?

(P.S. this is just a rhetorical question....)
                    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

If you get IFC(independant film channel) on your cable package, they also do a "news" show on Friday nights.

Comment

I do, Bob! What's the name of the show?
                        Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Onion News Network, what else?
                          I think it comes on around 10pm east coast time.
                          Yeah, I just checked. Friday nights at 10.

Comment

BTW, if any of you are into late night radio, google "Phil Hendrie".
                            There's a really good list of online station feeds. I don't want to give it away, but there's something going on with that show.

Comment

Thanks, Bob! (duh moment! I'm having more and more of them!!)
                              Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Working...
                              X