Vision Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vision Question

My vision problems are what got me to go to my GP, as I read here happens often. The thought of losing my vision terrifies me. My symptoms actually started a couple months ago and since then I have bought several pairs of reading glasses to no avail. It started as what felt like a focusing problem, as if my eyes were not working together. More recently there has been pain and sometimes my eye feels cold & numb-ish. I am now having blurriness in one eye (no matter how many times I try to clean my glasses =)

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?
    Thx - M
    M.
    A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
    Albert Einstein

Of course it sounds familiar! I've had vision problems for years. I go get my eyes checked and they can't find anything wrong, but my vision is blurry. Lately it's been better. I don't know if I'm getting used to this as the 'new normal' or if it really has improved.

Whichever, I'm taking it.

I know when I got these HUGE floaters several years ago my optometrist said I'd get used to them over time. I was skeptical, but he was right. My brain has evidently learned to ignore them. I only see them if I'm looking for them now. Perhaps the same thing has happened with the blurry vision.

Comment

Hi maitrimama:
      GPs aren't trained or equipped to properly evaluate your eyes or vision. You need a comprehensive eye and vision exam, and only eye doctors can do that. Optometrists and ophthalmologists do the same examination, but an optometrist would have to refer you to an ophthalmologist anyway if you have a physical problem (either eye or neurological). If you have a regular optometrist, it makes sense to start with the eye doctor who already knows you. If not, you might as well start with an ophthalmologist. If the thought of losing your vision terrifies you, you shouldn't waste any more time in getting an appointment with an eye doctor.

Comment

Thx

I had a bunch of MRIs done this week and I see the neurologist on Thursday so I figured I would ask her to recommend an ophthalmalogist.

The preliminary MRI results show 4 out of whack discs, one cervical, one mid/upper back and two at the base of my spine. Good news is that they could explain the arm & leg numbness etc =) Bad news is that the discs don't explain the vision issues, facial numbness, difficulty swallowing, cognition issues, terrible balance and the music I have been hearing for years (oh yeah, and the partial seizure they think I had last Wednesday).

I have already decided that I will follow up with the appts I have now and see what they come up with. If they aren't able to make a Dx then so be it. We can treat the symptoms and get on with my life. I refuse to let this consume me.
        M.
        A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
        Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
        X