JUST A THOUGHT....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JUST A THOUGHT....

On my way home from work yesterday, I was thinking that everyone with a disability, MS, Cancer, etc..should automatically qualify for financial assistance.

Not SSI or anything like that...nothing that you had to quality for and possibly be turned down... the only thing you will need is proof that you have the disability. This monthly check will help with added expenses due to your disability.

If you work, you can continue to work, this will not effect your present income in any way.

I know this is wishful thinking...but it would be nice.

Jay

Why would you automatically get financial assistance if you don't need it? Of course it would be nice to have more money, no one could argue with that...but I'd rather not collect assistance for my medical condition until I actually *need* it. Plenty of people with disabilities are (currently at least) not overwhelmed with the cost of their conditions, it would be weird to give them a monthly check just for having the condition.

Comment

It's a good thought but I think it would be better if you could choose to participate or not. I personally could use a check once a month to help out with medical expenses. I was just a normal 21 year old when this all started to happen. I almost didn't go to the Dr because I didn't know if I could afford. At this point I have numerous bills that total in the thousands just from april through august and that's with decent insurance. I could use the assistance but there are those that don't need it. It's the same principle of any other government assistance. There are people that would abuse the system, they already are and that's with having to qualify. Okay, I'm starting to ramble now. It's a nice thought but in a world full of greed where the rich just want to be richer it's impractical.

But if they ever want to send me a check out of the blue I can't say I would complain.

Comment

I play with wishful thinking....I will call it...life in a world more perfect than the one we live in.....

maybe some type of temporary financial assistance immediately after the diagnosis of a life altering or ending condition before disability begins to give a person time to process the shock and make financial plans for an unplanned/undesirable future.

and everyone is ethical about the assistance no one abuses it...

can anyone else contribute ideas for... a world more perfect than the one we live in?
        xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

I think it would be nice if our insurance was not tied to our jobs.

It is a very difficult situation to be too sick to work and be too sick to loose your health insurance.
          It leaves many people working themselves way too hard or neglecting there health because they cannot afford to see a Dr.

It seems like work and health coverage are only for the healthy and as soon as we become flawed we are tossed out.

I worked a good job and had good insurance for 20 years.
          After Dx I struggled to stay working but could not keep up with the demands and was pushed out after a couple of years.

Then I had too much money to qualify for any help so I was on my own.
          After two years of jumping thru hoops and running out of money I qualified for SSDI and medicare.
          Now I live on 20% of what my income was in 1999 and have minimal health coverage(medicare). Now that I am broke I qualify for lots of help.

Sadly, physical illness is a sentence of poverty in this country.
          Only the very rich can afford major health issues. The rest of us just get shut out untill we are poor then we get minimal help from there out.
          (only after we have burned up any financial stability we had)

Our system does need some work.

Comment

At this point, I don't need the assistance, but there's no chance anything like that would ever be available to us...

There are way too many lazy (healthy) ***** sitting on their porches drinking wine out of a paper bag and collecting BIG assistance checks. There will never be enough for the folks who really need it...
            "Tona Naze"
            Symptoms for six years plus. Dx RRMS September 2011. Drugs??? Nope!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oso49 View Post

There are way too many lazy (healthy) ***** sitting on their porches drinking wine out of a paper bag and collecting BIG assistance checks. There will never be enough for the folks who really need it...
              Perhaps a few but most healthy people would rather work.
              How many of "those people" that sit and drink cheap booze all day are healthy?
              Does mental illness fit into the picture anywhere?

I think anybody that would rather sit in a crappy place and drink their life away is probably mentally ill?

Here in the USA we turn our backs on mental illness.
              Rather than care for these people we prefer to say,"It's your own fault". That allows us to turn our backs on them with a clear conscience.

Just like people that look at us and say,"You don't look sick." People with mental illness are expected to just pull themselves together and behave properly.
              The problem is; They are mentally ill and can't take care of themselves.
              Will punishing them help?

MS should teach us many people struggle with hidden problems.
              Just because someone looks ok does not mean that they are ok.
              If a person wants to spend their life in a drunken stooper, I say that person is not healthy and needs some type of help.

Nobody is living the "American Dream" on an assistance check.
              (unless eating cheap food and self-medicating with cheap booze and dying young is your idea of the American Dream?)
              Sounds pretty unattractive to me.

Comment

Originally posted by tommylee View Post
                Perhaps a few but most healthy people would rather work.
                How many of "those people" that sit and drink cheap booze all day are healthy?
                Does mental illness fit into the picture anywhere?

I think anybody that would rather sit in a crappy place and drink their life away is probably mentally ill?

Here in the USA we turn our backs on mental illness.
                Rather than care for these people we prefer to say,"It's your own fault". That allows us to turn our backs on them with a clear conscience.

Just like people that look at us and say,"You don't look sick." People with mental illness are expected to just pull themselves together and behave properly.
                The problem is; They are mentally ill and can't take care of themselves.
                Will punishing them help?

MS should teach us many people struggle with hidden problems.
                Just because someone looks ok does not mean that they are ok.
                If a person wants to spend their life in a drunken stooper, I say that person is not healthy and needs some type of help.

Nobody is living the "American Dream" on an assistance check.
                (unless eating cheap food and self-medicating with cheap booze and dying young is your idea of the American Dream?)
                Sounds pretty unattractive to me.
                I would like to point out before I go any further that I am not disagreeing with you.

I think there are many people with mental illnesses, which is very different from mental retardation, that do not want help. Can we force those people to receive it?

Personally my fiance has bipolar and schizophrenia but refuses to see a mental health professional or receive any sort of medication. I cannot force him to go to a psychiatrist even if he should. While he is a hard working individual, it took a long time to get him there.

Like with anything, if a person does not want to change they will not. No matter how much damage it does.

As I said not disagreeing with you, just adding a different perspective.

Comment

Posted by Tommylee:"I think anybody that would rather sit in a crappy place and drink their life away is probably mentally ill?"

Mentally ill???? I don't think so.

There exist in news reports across the nation of people with 5,6,7,8...or more children who receive upwards of $900.00 dollars EACH MONTH for EACH CHILD and these people do absolutely NOTHING in the way of work!!! Why the **** would people like this WANT to look for work when they receive 5 or 6 thousand dollars a MONTH gratis from the federal government?
                  "Tona Naze"

Comment

Below is a link to a 16-year old report. It shows that in some states - 16 years ago - welfare recipients received more annually than an entry-level teacher; in some states, more than an entry-level computer programmer.

Since then, welfare "hand-outs" have increased in size to a level that is borderline criminal.

Mentally ill? Seriously???

http://www.limitedgovernment.org/pub...dO/fomay96.pdf
                    "Tona Naze"

Comment

Originally posted by oso49 View Post
                      Posted by Tommylee:"I think anybody that would rather sit in a crappy place and drink their life away is probably mentally ill?"

Mentally ill???? I don't think so.

There exist in news reports across the nation of people with 5,6,7,8...or more children who receive upwards of $900.00 dollars EACH MONTH for EACH CHILD and these people do absolutely NOTHING in the way of work!!! Why the **** would people like this WANT to look for work when they receive 5 or 6 thousand dollars a MONTH gratis from the federal government?

I have to agree with this. I've seen it personally. I used to hang out with a couple that had a child. The guy works as a sub-contractor making upwards of $800 a week and never reported his earnings or paid taxes. Both him and his girlfriend are receiving cash assistance and his girlfriend is receiving WIC for her child. They were trying to have another baby so they could get more money. Obviously I was disgusted when they bragged about it and haven't spoken to them since.

As someone who works hard for my money and pays my taxes, I'm appalled by anyone cheating the system. If someone needs assistance then by all means they should get it. Sadly that's not how the system works.

Comment

As someone who has worked professionally off and on over several decades with welfare recipients, it's been my experience that the vast majority of them do, indeed, legitimately qualify for the assistance they receive. It's also the case that no welfare recipient I've ever known has received enough money to do more than just barely get by.

All of this is kind of beside the point, though, since the OP's disability assistance idea isn't means-tested: everyone, regardless of income level, would qualify.

Personally, I think it's a lovely idea...but one that couldn't work for a variety of reasons. It never hurts to dream, though.

Comment

There's nothing stopping people who know about the big time cheaters from turning them in to the IRS.

My folks felt the same way about welfare until my mom went to work for them investigating the cheats. Most people do legitimately need it. Unfortunately, the few bad apples that abuse it (which should be reported) get more attention which makes hard working people hate contributing to a vital system that creates a stable society.

The other side of that coin is, the people who do cheat aren't exactly living large either. It would cost the country more money to pursue and convict them than they would recover or save.

I'd rather see the resources catching cheats be focused on the white collar criminals that pilfer millions and billions from the system - say medicare fraud. That's worth pursuing. So is securities fraud, which also appears to be rampant. But I gather that because these folks put on a suit everyday and head out to an office, that makes what they do more acceptable somehow.

I do like the more perfect world line of thought though. Maybe someday, someone will strike the right combination to even the playing field.
                          I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Originally posted by futurmil2b View Post
                            On my way home from work yesterday, I was thinking that everyone with a disability, MS, Cancer, etc..should automatically qualify for financial assistance.

Not SSI or anything like that...nothing that you had to quality for and possibly be turned down... the only thing you will need is proof that you have the disability. This monthly check will help with added expenses due to your disability.

If you work, you can continue to work, this will not effect your present income in any way.

I know this is wishful thinking...but it would be nice.

Jay
                            Rite??????????? I totally agree. And if we don't file for ssdi,shouldn't we be rewarded? I think ssdi is wonderful,but I don't have the money to wait that time form ssdi to kick in. So,I work,as a nurse,helping others feel better while I feel worse.I so agree with you. And I know some people would rather be working than on ssdi,and I get that,but how do you financially make that trasition? Dont You have to be unemployed for awhile? And how do you pay bills if unemployed? Anyway jay,I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by MSRSX View Post
                              Why would you automatically get financial assistance if you don't need it? Of course it would be nice to have more money, no one could argue with that...but I'd rather not collect assistance for my medical condition until I actually *need* it. Plenty of people with disabilities are (currently at least) not overwhelmed with the cost of their conditions, it would be weird to give them a monthly check just for having the condition.
                              Who doesn't need it is the question? My money goes to so many doc appts.,med costs,etc....not much left after paying to eat and have a car and a roof over my head,so heck yeah,I need financial assistance. If I were a trustfunder or movie star or paid a ridiculous amount of money for doing nothing,I'd be fine,and probably would feel better.

Comment

Working...
                              X