Winter Boots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter Boots?

Help! I can't wear my old winter boots anymore as they are too heavy and clunky. I can hardly raise my feet in them Does anyone have recommendations for warm, lightweight and durable, yet somewhat fashionable boots with good arch support??? I know, it's a tall order, but I am traveling back east during the winter and my old ones won't work. I really won't be walking all that much, but need something!! Just trying to do my homework now. Thanks!

p.s. I looked on the internet for Keens, but wow -are they expensive!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

I found some great winter boots last year at DSW. They are made by Columbia. I'll have to dig them out to find out if there is a certain name of them.

I'll try and find them online.
    Opiegirl, Dx 1991
    Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
    Estriol 9/12-present
    Still Hopeful.

Comment

What about Ugs or knockoff ugs? Spray with a water repellant and they can get you through a lot of cold weather. They are light like slippers. Only thing is they are not snowboots.
      Tawanda

Comment

I guess fashionable is 'in the eye of the beholder' but LL Bean has nice warm boots and great warranty.

Comment

As I have lived in florida for the last 12 years, I'm out of touch with the winter boot thing, but will have to get some now that I am in north carolina. I loved the LL Beans when I lived in Chicago but those are pricey for me now.

I have tried Ugs before, found them to be warm and cushy, but uncomfortably flat, but arch supports will help with that and that is probably the way I'll go now - they are so lightweight!!!!

I haven't been shopping yet (I hate to shop) so any other ideas would be lovely!
          This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless

Comment

I can't find what type of Columbia's they are online. They are probably last years or the year before's model.

I was at DSW and just picked up every boot to see how heavy it was. These were so lite, I am very happy to have found them.

I think buying online without trying them on is difficult. Good luck in your quest!
            Opiegirl, Dx 1991
            Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
            Estriol 9/12-present
            Still Hopeful.

Comment

I have absolutely no advice for boots. But, I will tell you that I personally just wear tennis shoes in the winter. They provide the traction I need.I don't know if you could spray them with Scotch Guard to help keep the water out.

I don't have walking problems right now, but winter boot were always clunky for me so I never wore them. I am happy to wear heavier tennis shoes.

I wear them to work and then switch into my dress shoes when I get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky10
                With that thought in mind, I love my Mucks! My feet NEVER get cold even in these Iowa winters.

Sparky - I've heard of Uggs, but what are Mucks? lol Are they lightweight?

Comment

Originally posted by opiegirl View Post
                  I can't find what type of Columbia's they are online. They are probably last years or the year before's model.

I was at DSW and just picked up every boot to see how heavy it was. These were so lite, I am very happy to have found them.

I think buying online without trying them on is difficult. Good luck in your quest!
                  Thanks for checking opiegirl - I went online and found a couple that might work for me. There are no stores near where I live, so might have to order online. How true to size are they?

But still looking for other suggestions....

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
                    Sparky - I've heard of Uggs, but what are Mucks? lol Are they lightweight?
                    Think "Canadian ice fishing sneakers".
                    They're Mucalucs and are kinda like a Bean camp boot. Rubber from the soles to the ankles then a high leather top, only much wider than Bean boots because they have a soft felt "inner boot". They are definatly NOT light weight although they are definatly warm.

BTW, sorry for butting in but I really wanted to post that going to the big box stores (Bentonville Barron, etc. ) seems to be better for winter boots.
                    One thing I've learned, cheaper boots are usually better in the winter unless you're climbing mountains. You can trash them without worry and the "off shore" brands tend to be lighter because they're cheaper.

Comment

My dd wears Uggs and they are really comfy. I wear the cheap Target knock offs......Columbias is also a good brand. I think they are all expensive so I just wear knock offs.

Good luck in your quest./

JudySz

Comment

I actually found a pretty good pair last year at Target. I was there last weekend and they were back again. They are hard on the outside but with a nice warm plaid lining (black w/red plaid lining).

They weren't clunky and kept my feet warm during football games last year.
                        dxd RRMS 7/2011 - Rebif 8/2011 - Tecfidera 7/2013

Comment

I got a nice pair from LLBean last year! Love them they are very lightweight but are as comfortable as most of my shoes. I usually wear easy spirit or birkenstock's. I have Raynauds and it is important my feet and hands are warm. I think I paid $60 dollars for the boots and plan to use them again this winter.

Hope you find some that will fit your needs.
                          Blessings,
                          Lori
                          Limbolander.... Lori
                          This is the day the Lord has made I will rejoice in it!

Comment

Originally posted by Lori Lee View Post
                            I got a nice pair from LLBean last year! Love them they are very lightweight but are as comfortable as most of my shoes. I usually wear easy spirit or birkenstock's. I have Raynauds and it is important my feet and hands are warm. I think I paid $60 dollars for the boots and plan to use them again this winter.

Hope you find some that will fit your needs.
                            Blessings,
                            Lori
                            Hey, Lori - what kind of boots did you get from LLBean? Were they Uggs?

Comment

Go for the Keens

Seasha,

I've had Keen hiking shoes (not terribly stylish) for several winters here in Chicago. I wore them almost every day for 3 1/2 winters, and I've never fallen on the ice. If you get ones with traction (just look at the bottom - there are only 2 or 3 kinds of profiles, so you'll know which is which), the sole catches you as you slip on the ice.

They are definitely worth the money in my opinion.

If you have a Nordstrom Rack near where you are, sometimes they'll have last season's there discounted. Or try Zappo's online. I find they run true to size.

Comment

Working...
                              X