Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory

I guess you could qualify this as 'venting'. I realize that with MS comes memory loss. I also realize I have some of this, I forget the words I'm looking for, forget how to type (I was a speed typist), type the wrong letters, forget numbers, just can't process things as fast as I used too. But my memory is not that bad that I will forget what I said or wanted to do. I remember quite a bit at this point. But my BF keeps telling me I am forgetting more than I think I am and it's really upsetting me because I know I'm not. He has a more debilitating disability than I do and his medication really does cause severe memory problems so it's obvious he forgets quite a bit, but he insists my memory is just as bad. I write things down now so I can prove to myself that I didn't forget. I shouldn't have to do that.

But, I'm not at that point yet. I've been told all my life I'm wrong. I don't understand things, mortgages, stocks, politics, things that are just not an everyday issue for me. I get that - if you don't do those things on a regular basis, why would you need to remember them? but I do remember things I learned in college and things I read about - I can pretty much tell you all about cancer meds, pscych meds, medical procedures, physical therapy, things that are important to me and that I really have a passion for.

But I am so sick of being told I don't remember and that I feel like I'm being "second guessed" all the time.

Do any of you get this kind of treatment? I've given up in the past and become very withdrawn because of this, I won't stand up for myself and I'll start to just fade into the background if it continues. I've done it the whole 45 years of my life and I'm not a stupid person. for instance, we just painted an antique dresser - it's old, no "sliders" for the drawers but one was really sticking, the bottom was not attached so it wasn't sliding all the way in and I asked if it would be better to nail it or glue it (he's better with fixing wood) and he said he needed to see if that was in fact the problem or if it was something else. He ended up nailing it. I was correct, but he just didn't believe me, he does this all the time and then he doesn't listen to my suggestions about other things too that I know about, things I have experienced or studied.

sorry for the rant, but it's starting to happen more with my BF and I really don't know what to do, it's the same pattern. I told him he was doing it and he said he is not like all the rest or like my family, but he is.

thank you~
    This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless
Working...
X