Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understanding my symptoms of possible MS

Hello,

I have not been diagnosed with MS but have sensory symptoms that concern me. I have been to two neurologists and have had every blood test and physical neurological exam. Everything is normal. I had a brain MRI w/contrast and it was normal. I have not had a spinal MRI, but this is because the neurologist has said it is not necessary.

Based on your experience, my question for you is this...I have had intermittent, but constant (meaning a day does not go by and oftentimes a few hours do not go by) where I do not feel some sort of tingling or numbness in one or all four of my extremities (both hands and feet). It happens more prominently in my left hand and right foot, however, it is definitely occurring on the other side, as well. No pain accompanies this. No loss of muscle or weakness. It does not spread to my elbows or calves or anything. It stays isolated.

In the past 2.5 months, to try to alleviate this tingling/numbness I have: changed birth control, changed mattress, started strict exercise program (didn't exercise since having baby in Nov 2010), watched diet (although I had loss the baby weight and am in shape), gone to therapy to manage stress, etc.

The sensation is not usually felt in my toes when I am wearing socks/shoes, it can be felt more in my finger tips when I am exercising.

I am doing everything I can, but still have the tingling/numbness.

I am a 33 year old woman with two young children. I live in the Northeast and work FT.

My question is...does this sound like MS tingling/numbness to you? The dr has said that it sounds more peripheral than central, but I just am having trouble believing anything since it is still happening.

Thanks so much for your responses,

Originally posted by jhkbaby View Post
    My question is...does this sound like MS tingling/numbness to you?
    The proper term for tingling and numbness is Paresthesia. There is no such thing as MS tingling or numbness. Paresthesia has numerous causes and MS is just one of them.

Here is some information about Paresthesia and the numerous causes for it:
    http://www.bettermedicine.com/articl...sthesia/causes
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I would ask the neurologist for an EMG. This tests your nerve conduction in the area that is affected. I have had several to determine whether I had carpal tunnel in both hands (I do) & whether my legs falling asleep often is part of the possible MS or something else (it was not something else).

I have numbness/tingling all over, but I also have lesions that showed up on MRI & we are just waiting for the other shoe to fall before saying it is MS for sure. I feel pretty good today, so no complaints!
      "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference" Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

My immediate impression is given your age, gender and symptoms is that you are anemic. Have you checked your B12 and Hemoglobin levels?:

Comment

My opinion only, stick with the pros for answers. MS does not USUALLY manifest itself on both sides of the body in early disease, but that's just what we've been told.

I think if you're not satisfied with the answers you're getting, start from the beginning with a new doctor and be very specific with your symptoms. Multiple sclerosis is notoriously hard to diagnose.

Check out the McDonald criteria, the internationally used criteria for diagnosing MS, and good luck!

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/DiagnosticCriteria.html
          “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
          Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Wild stab in the dark - neuralgia.
            I'd go with the the good news - clear MRI.

Comment

Working...
            X