I'm single and need some assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm single and need some assistance

I can exist okay around my house and take care of myself. But I can't take the garbage out, and I can't carry the groceries in. My dear mother helps, but she is very old. Friends, well, I don't understand why they can't be bothered, but obviously they cannot. Any suggestions where I can find someone to come by once a week and help with things? Family/friends/neighbors aren't really an option. Where else?
    anyone else go through this? what did you do?

thanks in advance

Check out http://www.care.com

You may find someone in your area who can do this for you, possibly even a teen or college-aged student looking for some pocket money.
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

Care.com charges $35 to post a job or looking to hire ad. Craigslist might be a better solution. Call the local Vo-tech or high schools. It sounds like a teen or young non-professional is what you need. If you go through an agency, the workers get minimum wage and the bulk of what you pay goes for administration and overhead for the company.

When my neighbor walks his dogs he pushes my garbage can to the fence. I've never asked and never had the opportunity to thank him.

I'm looking for someone also. Best of luck to both of us. I'm thinking 4 hrs per week.

Comment

I was having the same problem. Some online friends of mine encouraged me to seek out some religious leaders (I am atheist) and they have been WONDERFUL! Maybe see if you can find a pastor nearby, or a mormon or something.
        Diagnosed Aug. 2011 - Currently on Tysabri

Comment

Garbage

I am single with the same issues. I have two religious groups that come by and have been wonderful. They left their card so I can call when I need help.
          Good Luck!

Comment

I have the same problum,I do live w/ family,but they only have so much time. My DD helped me find a group that comes to your home & do all the chores needed. Change my sheets,help w/bathing.
            You can have them for an Hour or all day. Look in the phone under medical assistance.
            Keep us posted God Bless Nona Judy

Comment

I had to confront this long before my DX. I was fortunate to live in a neighborhood with a lot of hard working immigrants who were willing to help for a few dollars a day.

Ask around. They need you just as much as you need them. Or you can offer to help with childcare in exchange. I was tutoring the neighbor children in math and then we started having art classes. Their mom put her heart into helping and we all became good friends.

I would be careful of Craig'slist. But, with some careful screening, that may be a good option in your area.

Comment

hi

i'd try your local town do they have a town hall you can contact? sometimes that helps in finding the help you need. they often dont' advertise or make it known the resources they can supply you with.

id be careful with craigslist also, because this person will be in your home around kids etc.

hang in there i hope you can find someone to help out. you might also want to try any type of students at a college if you can figure out how to have someone help you post an ad on their bulletin boards. sometimes students studying pysch, social worker would be interested in providing service this way.

good luck hang in there
                Jen Dx'd 5/11
                "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

I haven't used any of these personally and I'm not sure if you have access to this in the US but there's a company called Rent a Son and they do everything from simply changing a lightbulb to heavy yard work.

Also, my local chapter of the MS Society has a Student Enrichment Program where you can sign up for "youth labour"... free! It may be a seasonal program but it's a good place to start.

Our high school students are required to complete 40 hours of volunteer work in order to graduate; it wouldn't hurt to contact your local high schools to see if they have something where they match you up with a student.

Best of luck and hope you find what you need very soon.
                  RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
                  "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I'm dealing with this as well. I have hired caregivers through care.com, but I also just need some help doing the things you mentioned like dragging trash to the curb (I am freaking out about snow, I live in Buffalo and there's no way I can get the snow off my car).
                    Rachel

39 with systemic lupus, celiac disease, and possible MS

Comment

Try to make contact with the local homeschool community. You might be able to round up a few young volunteers to take turns as a service project.

Others said to check through local churches, or your own church. Find a church you'd like to attend when able. It will be a great place to form a support system. Our church records all of the services and people deliver the cd's to homebound people free of charge.

You might call United Way in your area and ask about services they may offer. They may know of other organizations in the area if they don't have a program for what you need.

How about a neighbor or two? Their teenagers?

You might be able to pay extra for trash pick up from your front porch rather than the curb if you can get it that far.

Comment

My hubby and I are in our 40's, but even though we can do alot, there are things we can't do because hubby has been through two leg surguries and isn't safe going up on a ladder to clean out the gutters, trim the trees, moving heavy stuff and things like that.

We've always been the ones to help out others, so it's been difficult asking folks for help. We've started doing that however and it's worked. Yes there are some folks who may not help, but since I've been going through the MS dx process, there've been alot of people asking what they can do to help...so I tell them what we need.

I agree with previous posters too that there are alot of church groups out there who will help in the community. Or, call the United Way - they have a First Call for Help line in most communities where they can connect you with folks that may be able to assist you on a volunteer basis.

Comment

I've found an individual who is willing to come for a few hours each week and help with the heavier chores. She is a nursing student who has taken time off from school due to financial hardship. She's charging much less than an agency service and comes well recommended through mutual friends.
                          She sounded excited over the phone. I'll be sure and have a list ready when she comes on Thursday.

Comment

caretaker

does your insursance allow a home health aide? I would call your local nmss and ask for an advocate to help you find out.

Comment

question kind of unrelated, but if you are all single and are on disability, how do you make ends meet? I haven't figured it out at all. I do have a great BF right now, but if things should change I don't know how I would handle it financially. I don't have family to help me out in a place I would be able to live - way toooooooo expensive where they are.

thanks ~
                              This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless

Comment

Working...
                              X