No announcement yet.

Do most of you get a flu shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope! I take Amantadine 2x per day for the last 10 years ( for spasms ). According to the info sheet, it is used to treat the flu. My regular doctor and my neuro both said no need for the flu shot. Haven't had a problem in 10 years.
    MIKE

Of coarse you know I just went and jinxed myself!!
    Dream like you will live forever, Live like you will die today.

Comment

I've gotten a flu shot for the past 10 years, since shortly before I was diagnosed with MS. I've had no problem with the shot at all.

I've had the flu twice in about 35 years; my immune system seems to protect me (knock wood) from just about everything going around.......but I don't want to take a chance. A fever of 105 would leave me unable to walk or even get out of bed!

Comment

Never had one.

The general rule I go by if there is a strong chance of dying form the flu then I'll get a flu shoot, if not I don’t!

Here is a link to what national ms society has about it.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/liv...ons/index.aspx
        Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

I got mine.... never ever had one before I was dx with MS. This is the first year I got it and didn't feel sick from it.
          Sx's 5/1996 Dx'd 9/2011
          RRMS- Betaseron, Copaxone, Tecfidera, Aubagio
          Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all

Comment

Yes, I have been getting a flu shot for several years now.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Just got mine last week. Get it. If you're heat sensitive, any fever's bad. Flu can send it skyrocketing. Any discomfort for a couple of days is better than not being able to function for 2+ weeks.

Are you getting the shot or mist? Shot is killed virus (I don't get mist, it's just weakened). Any symptoms after the shot are not flu; the virus is dead and can't infect you. If you do get sick after (I never have), it must be just your body building antibodies as fast as it can.

Comment

I take Gilenya and I worry about a flu shot - wouldn't an immunosuppressant give the fly shot a chance to develop into a full blown flu?

I guess I don't really understand immunosuppressants - is it possible to have a healthy immune system when it is suppressed?

Comment

Originally posted by emaugust View Post
                  I take Gilenya and I worry about a flu shot - wouldn't an immunosuppressant give the fly shot a chance to develop into a full blown flu?

I guess I don't really understand immunosuppressants - is it possible to have a healthy immune system when it is suppressed?
                  Ema, as long as you stay away from a live virus vaccine (delivered by nasal spray), you should be fine. If you're immunosuppressed, they usually recommend the flu vaccine to protect you from pneumonia that can develop along with or as a result of the flu.

Just make sure it's the killed virus (pieces of the viral coat, rather than the whole virus).
                  I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

jumpinjimimy - what part of the country are you in that the flu has already started ? Are you 100% certain that it was the true flu ?

I was fairly certain that my doctor said we are still ahead of the flu season right now.

I'm wondering because my boys and hubby haven't gotten their flu shots yet.

Comment

The Flu Season is usually considered to start after the first of Nov. However, that is the beginning of the Spike of Cases, it actually starts in many northern areas any time after the first of Sept. I would not go without it, got mine yesterday.
                      Bill
                      Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Working...
                      X