2 Questions Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Questions Please!

#1. I have heard that you should not take steriods if you have diabetes. Has anyone else had problems?

#2. I am having a "tearing/ripping" feeling on the outside's of my feet, below the ankle that goes down and under my feet into my heels. It hurts so bad, I feel like the skin is spliting/ripping or tearing. It not only hurts but creaps me out because I can just immagine it happening. Has any one else had this?

I have found that the lidocane Patches help for a while. I cut them to fit the painful area and then put a sock over it, to keep it in place.

I hope I am describing it right. I am wondering if it is part of the spasticity.
    Sissy

I don't know about steroids and diabetes. I have a similar thing on my feet, in addtion to other pain in my feet. I think you may be describing plantar fascitis, and I don't know if its related to MS or not. My doc said probably not, but I think probably so, as its gotten pretty bad lately. Try stretching the bottoms of your feet if you can, by pointing toes towards your head, and massaging bottoms of feet, stretching the bottom as you rub, and stretching a lot aroudn the heal. That seems to help me, at least temporarily.

Comment

I agree with Lemstar that what you are describing sound similar to plantar fascitis, I had a small calcification of my heel bone which has led me to the pain you are describing. ( I do not have MS, my DH is suspected of MS, so I linger around in this message board)

With exercises, the pain is manageable. http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/p...topic-overview

So I do have reasons to believe that this might not be MS related.

Comment

I'm Type 2 and 3 days of IV steroids had my suger so high the meter could not read it, over 600.
        Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

Not sure about the first question but just yeaterday i experienced similar pain in my foot. I was wondering if it was due to MS. It lasted for about 10 minutes then it went away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sissy View Post
            #1. I have heard that you should not take steriods if you have diabetes. Has anyone else had problems?

Steroid usage can actually push you into diabetes if you aren't careful. My mother in law, who has extreme asthma, was originally treated by her pcp, and his solution to every infection, every crisis, was to put her on nerve pills and steroids, even after he told her that she was "borderline" diabetic. Steroids mess with your blood sugar something fierce. She's full force Type 2 Diabetic now, and her pulmonologist only puts her on steroids if it's a last resort, as her blood sugar still isn't controlled.

As an aside, this pcp, when he gave her nerve pills for my wedding, talked about actually going to the wedding/reception to observe her. (He justified it by saying that my husband was his patient, blah blah blah, and he had a duty to make sure my mother in law didn't pass out from a stress induced asthma attack.) Yes, I knew the family - I had been friends with his daughter, but hadn't spoken to her, by choice, for three years at the time, before high school was even over. And this was a small, family wedding. There would be questions about why their doctor was there. My mother in law saw that it would be "uncomfortable" considering my relationship with his daughter, and told him not to come.
            Diagnosis: May, 2008
            Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Hi Sissy:
              Steroids raise blood sugar. That doesn't necessarily mean that diabetics can't take steroids, but blood sugar has to be monitored and controlled very carefully. Anyone with diabetes has to consider benefit vs. risk and work very closely with their doctors if steroids are the chosen treatment. Sometimes people with diabetes are admitted to the hospital for steroid treatment because their blood sugar can be managed more easily in a hospital setting.

Comment

Woo..Spydre no offence but your Dr seems a little over the top! I hope everything works out OK for both of you.

I was given so PO steriods but on the first pill I felt so bad! my BS was 425 and my skin was burning, especialy my face. I drank a lot of water and pulled out a fan .

The next week I started on Gilenya. I feel like a mess walking. When I can walk that is. But I do feel like the Gilenya is helping!! I am less drunk!! Yea!!

My feet on the other hand seem to be having an allergic reaction to everything. I feel like there is a lump or sticker or something in my shoe's all the time I keep checking them. I am looking for a pair of Croc's RX that I can use my prescription for. I know they have them! I just can't find them. I am in love with Croc's because they are soooooo comfortable.
                Sissy

Comment

Working...
                X