Why a scan of the chest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why a scan of the chest

Just trying to find out why they did a scan on my chest. Im guessing its to rule out other diseases.

I noticed on my paper work that it showed some result for possibly having renel disease. My results where BUN 16 Creatinine .9 and EGFR >60 which is pretty much normal from what I have read.

But what would a chest scan have to do with renel disease anyways?

Thanks

Did you have any lung symptoms, like cold or cough?

there is a an MS mimmicker scardiosis that most often has lung involvement. it autio immune too but its auto imune on organs and it can attack any organ, the nervous system is one organ when it attacks there it can be mis diagnosed as MS.

if it does that its called neuroscardiosis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurosarcoidosis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcoidosis
    xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Add to my last reply...
      Ms is a diagnosis of exclusion, everything else it could be has to be excluded for it to be ms--your doc is checking everyithing
      xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

Was it an MRI? If so, it may have been of your thoracic spinal cord, where lesions can occur, instead of of your chest itself.
        Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I think it was a scan. They put a die into my vein so the blood vessels and other parts show up.

I already had a mri on my brain and neck to verfiy there are no lesions there.

Comment

Originally posted by ffjosh View Post
            I think it was a scan. They put a die into my vein so the blood vessels and other parts show up.

I already had a mri on my brain and neck to verfiy there are no lesions there.
            No lesions in my neck but there are lesions in my brain...sorry typo

Comment

HI ffjosh:
              It sounds like poster Shashi is on the right track with her reply. As part of an MS workup, an MRI study is often done of the cervical (neck area) and thoracic (chest area) spinal cord to look for lesions there. (The scan also shows the bones of the skeleton, the discs and spinal nerves that come off the spinal cord, which are evaluated for any abnormality that might also explain symptoms.) It sounds like you already had a scan of your cervical spine and this one was to check your thoracic spine.

The dye is used to indicate if any lesions in the spinal cord are actively inflammatory. The dye is taken up by inflamed areas of the nerves and "enhances" the areas on the MRI. The intent isn't to show up blood vessels or other structures.

In looking for MS, it's the spine and spinal cord that are the subjects of interest and not the chest contents themselves.

Sarcoidosis is a mimic of MS that typically affects the lungs. In screening for sarcoid, a standard lung X-ray is taken and and MRI isn't typically used (although something unusual might show up as an incidental finding on an MRI done for another purpose).

And you're correct -- the kidneys aren't in the chest cavity, so a chest scan wouldn't be used to evaluate the kidneys. And since your kidney function tests are all in the normal range, there would be no medical rationale for using MRI to evaluate your kidneys. To give you some perspective, my kidney function tests are quite abnormal and my doctor ordered only an ultrasound study.

Based on what you told us, and other things considered, it sounds like you had an MRI of your thoracic spine for the purpose of evaluating for lesions in the spinal cord and/or other structural abnormalities that might explain some of your neurological symptoms.

Comment

thanks for the information!

Comment

Working...
                X