Happy New Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy New Year

Rosh Hashanah began last evening, and continues through the next week. The Jewish New Year usually comes close to our new school year here in the USA, and the close of Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, is a day of atonement, and a clean slate.

No, I'm not Jewish, but I had many students who observed these holidays, and so I did, too. A few years ago, our school system designated Yom Kippur as a school holiday, and so we had a day off ... an unexpected day free, to do as we chose. I chose to write notes to people I had lost touch with. Another year I chose to go to the grave of my parents and spend some time reflecting on all they had endured, raising a large family in the city.

This year, though I am not in school, my partners and students had today off for Rosh Hashana, and rather than a day of atonement, it was one more opportunity to think of the "new me," no longer in the classroom.

I'm facing different challenges now, and looking back and seeing all that my husband and I have dealt with, helping four parents through catastrophic illness, only then to be diagnosed with MS after they had all passed to their peace.

Those earlier challenges have strengthened us, and we will face what comes next together. I am blessed to have him in my life. We've been together over forty years now.

I'm working on a novel now, having already posted two books of poetry and two of teaching on Amazon.com. The novel will tell the truth of being diagnosed with a young person's condition so late in life. When I finish it, I will "out" myself here on the boards to give those who want to find it and read it a chance to do so.

'Til then, I'll remain Chalk'nPens ... thirty years I taught, and have shared with my partners in the classrooms. Now, through the books, I plan to share with a wider audience. If you want to find my teaching books at Amazon, and you are a registered member here at MSWorld, you can find my real name at my profile for now.

The money I earn from the teaching books and the poetry books will optimistically replace some of the percentage of pension i lost by missing my final two years ... and the MS novel - well, I'll probably donate a percentage of that to MSWorld.

Be well, and keep writing and posting here. We all benefit.
    First symptoms: 1970s Dx 6/07 Copaxone 7/07 DMD Free 10/11
    Ignorance was bliss ... I regret knowing.

Thanks for sharing your story! I admire anyone who has talent such as yours- being able to put down in words what you are thinking and/or have experienced is great!

Comment

Congratulations and Happy New Year
      Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Yes Happy New Year to all our Jewish friends.!

Comment

Working...
        X