No announcement yet.

Spiritual Causes of MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The way I look at "causes" or "reasons why" is this: The people putting forth such theories are just trying to make themselves feel better, cope with the possibility of illness, or exercise control.

For instance, if I can tell you that situation "x" (be it sickness or whatever) is absolutely caused by factor "y"...then I have power. I'll just avoid factor "y", or conquer factor "y" in my life, and I won't find myself in situation "x."

People do it everyday in a million situations just like they do it with disease. If something bad happens to a child, I might think, "Well if I was their parent I would have never let such and such happen.....(fill in the blank.)" And in a way that's self comforting because I'm assuring myself that that bad thing will never happen to my child because I can control the situation.

Anyhoo...that's what I think is happening when people try to find reasons for illness. BTW, it's as old as the book of Job in the Bible (supposedly the first book written, and maybe for good cause.) His friends said these things happened to you because you did this, or didn't do that...which was really not the case, they were just trying to assure themselves that the things that happened to Job wouldn't happen to them.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I don't like the idea of a "spiritual" cause for MS. It hints that MS is somehow not as much a 'real' disease...like cancer for instance.

It makes sense to me that if there is a spiritual cause for MS, then there should be a spiritual cause for any disease...and then it's starts sounding like a "crock".

The '"cure", not the cause, should be found in spirituality of whatever type you choose.

Comment

louise Hay in her book says 'cancer is due to deep hurt, longstanding resentment, deep secret or grief at the self. Carrying hatreds. Whats the use.

Really starting to think that the impression people like this are givind is that ill people are bad,resentful, guilt stricken etc

So not true cause as far as I am concerned we are the FIGHTER in life who have an incredible ability to endure and overcome the real difficulties in life
        Diagnosed 10 years.
        Started Ty in Sept 2011

Comment

My mother died 2 months after I was dx(U have all heard me talk about it) I felt pretty darn good when I go official dx. My mom died of something we would have never evr figured! Multiple Myeloma. She was fine,than starting twitching really badly,the dad took he to e.r.,calcimum levels off the charts,whamo,stage3 MMyeloma. Gone 33 weeks later. Anyway,Sum yoga guru ****** said 2 me,Do you think she couldn't handle your dx? And I had never thought about that until that moron said that. So. Than 6-9months after she died,I felt the MS. full force. You guys I felt so good when I ws 1st dx,I didnt even pay atention 2 it. So,I feel had my mom no died when she did(I know,we r all gonna lose our parents) maybe my MS wouldn't have gotten so bad? I think maybe what the original thread person is trying to say,that mental health can **** with spiritual health that can mess with physical health that can mess with mental health,than back to the spiritual health and than the cycle begins? And please don't be nasty to me if I make no sense. I have cog fog like the rest of u and am quite an intelligent person,IN PERSON. I can't get it across sumtimes on the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by candycane View Post
            For example, I read (online) that Dr. Norman Shealy suggested people with MS might have suppressed anger and resentment towards family members (mostly parent figure)
            If this was true why would an 18 month old or 4 year old get MS. Sadly very young children have been diagnosed with this disease.

No, I don't see how this disease has a spiritual cause.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

We have MS (or any other disease/illness) b/c we live in a fallen, imperfect, sinful world. The End.

I will say that internalized hatred/anger can cause physical health problems, but not all or even most. And some people who have anger issues never get sick. "The rain falls on the just & the unjust."
              DX 10/2008
              Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
              Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
              Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Originally posted by juliebrush View Post
                My mother died 2 months after I was dx(U have all heard me talk about it) I felt pretty darn good when I go official dx. My mom died of something we would have never evr figured! Multiple Myeloma. She was fine,than starting twitching really badly,the dad took he to e.r.,calcimum levels off the charts,whamo,stage3 MMyeloma. Gone 33 weeks later. Anyway,Sum yoga guru ****** said 2 me,Do you think she couldn't handle your dx? And I had never thought about that until that moron said that. So. Than 6-9months after she died,I felt the MS. full force. You guys I felt so good when I ws 1st dx,I didnt even pay atention 2 it. So,I feel had my mom no died when she did(I know,we r all gonna lose our parents) maybe my MS wouldn't have gotten so bad? I think maybe what the original thread person is trying to say,that mental health can **** with spiritual health that can mess with physical health that can mess with mental health,than back to the spiritual health and than the cycle begins? And please don't be nasty to me if I make no sense. I have cog fog like the rest of u and am quite an intelligent person,IN PERSON. I can't get it across sumtimes on the computer.
                dammit,I meant 3 weeks later. Im so bad at this.

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
                  If this was true why would an 18 month old or 4 year old get MS. Sadly very young children have been diagnosed with this disease.

No, I don't see how this disease has a spiritual cause.
                  Snoopy,when and what year was the 1st child,baby dx? On record,that is.

Comment

Extreme Stress

I didn't mean to imply stress 'caused' my MS. I think it had been lurking in the background a long time and the stress I described just brought it to the fore front.
                    I haven't had a relapse for 11 years.
                    Since I no longer work in a lab (Med. Tech.) , PC support or programming I don't think I will have another attack.
                    techie
                    Another pirated saying:
                    Half of life is if.
                    When today is bad, tomorrow is generally a better day.
                    Dogs Rule!

Comment

Originally posted by juliebrush View Post
                      Snoopy,when and what year was the 1st child,baby dx? On record,that is.
                      There is quite a bit of information about Pediatric MS that can be found, the first child/baby diagnosed I don't know.

There is a news letter put out by the Rocky Mountain MS Center (InforMS) and the Spring 2007 issue was dedicated to Pediatric MS.

This is the URL for the Spring 2007 issue. It does take awhile for it to load and is a PDF:
                      http://www.mscenter.org/images/stori...ormsSpring.pdf

MSWorld had a long time member who had stated he had been diagnosed at the age of 4 (dave \o/). There are also several pediatric MS centers.

There are quite a few adults, myself included, who can take MS symptoms back to childhood.
                      Diagnosed 1984
                      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

This might give you an idea:

http://www.ipmssg.org/abouttheipmssg/childhoodms.html

IDK about the absolute first dxd pediatric MS patient, but it's been decades at least, that children have been diagnosed with MS. My girlfriend, for example, was diagnosed back in the early 70's at the age of 6. My first relapse was at 13.

OT, I don't doubt that stress can mess with general health, but as far as that or some sort of spiritual issue being the or even a cause of MS, I very seriously doubt it.

Though I'm sure the lady that told me I got MS because I was "living in sin" would have something to say about it.

Comment

Spiritual

This gives me quiet a chuckle. To me spiritual is love and caring about others and self and trying to do what is right. I can't imagine a caring, loving person causing myself or another to get MS.

It is just one of those things that I have which has made me a much better person. I feel it makes me kinder, more considerate and thoughtful and realize I am so much better off then many others. It gives me the opportunity to help others who are hurting worse then me.

Isn't that what this site does everyday. We'll never know how many folks we have helped feel better and understand this ailment. Sure there are many frustrations, anger and pain along the way. The waiting and not knowing what may happen next. We never have a dull moment.

Lois

Comment

Originally posted by duckfan View Post
                            When my husband was first diagnosed I went to a lunch at the home of a friend from my church. Lots of other ladies were there along with a mother-in-law of one of them.

The women were asking how my husband was and when this woman found out he had MS she loudly said "he needs to forgive, that's what caused the MS."

I've never been so angry in my life but got up and walked away from her. I've been a Christian for 40 years and have been taught not to judge and to live and love as Christ lived and loved.

If she thought she was being encouraging it sure didn't work. Even 6 years later it makes me mad. My husband has MS because he has MS. Someday the researchers will find out the cause but it's certainly not because "he needs to forgive someone."

We all need to forgive someone, that's a fact of life. Sorry, I'm finding myself ranting.
                            That is absolutely appalling! And the idea that we have MS because we are metaphysically unfit makes me want to vomit. Those sources OP cited can suck it!
                            Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

The Biblical Job story seems to me like one attempt to explain why bad things might happen to quite good people. This has always been the tricky question if you believe in a loving, not just all-powerful God.
                              I don't know how successful it was, but I like it anyway. Bad stuff happens, we don't really know why, and there's probably no point worrying about.
                              We're not cursed, we don't deserve it, but if you're religious your faith might be a comfort (I'm not, but as they say no atheists in foxholes).

Comment

I think this was posted just to start mess! Congrats!

How ridiculous!

Comment

Working...
                                X