Help me decide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me decide

I don't know if my letter from SSDI today represents good news or bad. I applied in Dec 2009 and was denied. Appealed in June, 2010 and received a decision today. The decision is that my initial denial still holds however I am judged to be disabled as of Feb 10, 2011 (the date of my diagnosis of MS) add 6 month waiting period and I am eligible for benefits as of August 29, 2011. My attorney says he has never heard this type of decision. Maybe it's a new tactic of SSDI. I get benefits but no back pay, the attorney gets nothing and SS saves themselves.

Hi, mtnwillow. I certainly have had cases where there have been no past due benefits. Sometimes SSA will not give benefits until there has been a definite diagnosis.

There is a five month waiting period after the onset of disability, which works like a 6 month waiting period because unless the onset of disability was determined to be on the first of the month, then the first month of the five month waiting period commences in the following month and benefits are not paid until the month following the month in which the waiting period commences. Clear as mud, right?

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

SSDI put money in my acct today. I still don't have the award letter but it looks like they are paying for Sept and Oct.
      Oh it feels good to have "money in the bank."

Comment

I just want others to be aware. The last two years I worked less than 32 hours per week and no overtime. This reduction in earned income was reflected in my SSDI benefit. I made $20,00 less per year.
        If you are pushing yourself to try to work when you don't feel well, you may want to consider this bit of information.

Comment

Yes, the SSDI amount is based on Lifetime Earnings, but the last 10 years are the most important and the last 5 are extremely important.
          Bill
          Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Hello, Bill and mtnwillow. Even if one has to reduce one's hours, the income may still be higher than the disability benefits. Also, there is no guarantee of winning a disability claim so that has to be considered in determining whether or not one files. I think most people file when they simply cannot perform the demands of their work. Many times part-time work is not available.

Rich
            Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
            X