How to start in this situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to start in this situation?

I am a full time student. I have 83 credits currently - but probably need 2 years to finish - spring 2013 graduation date. I just don't know that I can make it. I thought I could go to grad school, but it is becoming more and more obvious that I will not be able to do that. I was hoping for that, but since my diagnosis I have just been slowly but surely getting worse. Physically and cognitively. It really stinks, but if I am honest with myself, it is happening.

So, what should I do? I have no insurance, and obviously no job as I am a student and my husband supports our home. Can I apply now while I am still going to college? If I am approved do I have to drop out right away? Honestly, the thing I am really interested in most is insurance. I don't even know how it works. Thanks.
    Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
    ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

In a way, SSDI can be considered to be early retirement because a physical disability prevents a person from working at substantial gainful activity. SSDI considers whether you can work, not whether you can go to school, so you don't have to drop out of school to get SSDI.

To SSDI, the question isn't whether you can to to school but whether you can work. Under SSDI, a person is still able to work up to the point that they earn $1000 per month. Your ability to finish school is irrelevant to SSDI. If you can scrub toilets or flip burgers, you can still work and may not qualify for SSDI.

SSDI is work related and income related; it isn't an insurance program. But because it is, in a way, an early retirement program, people on SSDI disability are eligible to participate in Medicare, beginning 29 months after the date of disability (the 6 month disability eligibility period plus 2 years).

To qualify for SSDI, a person must have sufficient, timely work credits. Insufficient credits = no SSDI. Period. No SSDI = no Medicare. Period. How many school credits you have is irrelevant. What's important is how many work credirts you have.

If you have insufficient work credits, your only chance for income based on disability would be SSI and possibly state public assistance, and only if your family qualifies based on financial guidelines. Your only chance for getting medical insurance would be Medicaid, and only if your family qualifies based on financial guidelines.

I know that the administrators at MSWorld would recommend that you wait for Rich Feingold to answer your question, since this is the forum they've given him. But he hasn't answered questions here for more than a month. I think that speaks for itself in how long you should wait for an answer from him.

Comment

Oops! Forgot to add that the Social Security Administration website (www.ssa.gov) has in-depth information about SSDI. You can read up on the disability process and rules and regs, and request a copy of your Social Security income record and work credits. You can even start your SSDI application online. If you have questions, you can call their phone line and talk to a representative. If you need help with your application, you can contact a disability attorney or advocacy group, who will advise you about your eligibility and will fill out and file your application for you in exchange for a percentage of your award.

Comment

Hi, Redwings and Salamandertom. Yes, it has been a few weeks since I have been on the board to answer questions; I do apologize. I do think, though, that it also speaks for itself that I have been consistently answering questions here for over seven years, so I do request that you do give me some credit. Several weeks as opposed to seven years is a short period of time. Sometimes my practice does take me away a bit from my duties as a volunteer answering questions here. I always strive to do my best and I will continue to answer posts here as expeditiously as possible, certainly sooner than has occurred in my recent absence. I thank you for your patience in this regard.

Salamandertom, although going to school is not working, it does show an ability to function. I realize that there are limitations that you have that probably make even going to school difficult. I think that you should consult with an attorney who practices in this area of law to see what your next step is.

Rich
        Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
        X