No announcement yet.

Calling all Seniors - aging and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, Seniors! It's been a year since the last post here and that means we're yet another year older! But wiser too - right?

Ack - I wish I could blame MS on my whitening hair, my ever growing wrinkles and my sagging parts (well, maybe this - I don't get the exercise to the level of really firming those parts) On a positive note - My yearly exam with the eye dr. showed that my vision improved!! He said, a lot of aging people show improvement with their vision. Who would have thought? Wish my walking would improve - that I can blame on MS! Memory problems? MS or aging gets equal votes.

We are the baby boomers! Any more of us retiring or have you already? Me - I had to take early retirement and went on SSDI, but finding that Medicare is a joke I went to the podiatrist to get soft cushioned orthodics for my shoes as I needed them for the neuropathic pain in my feet. I was told that medicare wouldn't pay for them, but if I was diabetic and had neuropatic pain, Medicare would pay. Go figure! It's the same pain!

I am now a grandma two times over and loving it. The brightest spot to my days

Well, that's my senior story. Would love to hear how you're all doing! Stay well and young at
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hey! I'm 68yrs old ( Ithink I'm a senior? LOL) I have 3 children & 8 Grandkids. After my husband died my neuro called my DD & said " You know your mother is not living alone? she laughed as I was already moved in.
      A have a wonderful family my S-I-L is fantastic,we live just 18mls from my oldest son & family & my son & s-in-l are best friends.
      We have a huge home 6br., 4 bathr. eatin kitchen,formal D.R. SunRoom, Livingroom,Den,Office. On over an acre of land w/ an inground pool,2 decks.
      We have 2 large black labs, 1 a 95lb.Newfinland Lab,1a90lb English Lab. & 1 black & gray tabby cat who has complete control over both of them! LOL!.
      I'm so Blessed to have my own wing of the house,B'room,Full BathR,sitting room.
      We have wonderful neighbors,nearenough in an emergency,but far enough away we can't see their house.
      I can't drive,haven't in over 10yrs,I use a Rollator around the house & Wheelchair when out,I also use an electric Scooter around the grounds.
      I have SPMS & am not on any DMD,after a sever injection site reaction 3yrs ago,I was taken off everything. I was DX 14yrs ago, I'm Happy & content,I read,have my "Bird Watching" Grow several plants on a large 3tier stand,Do my chores around the house to help.As my DD homeschools, I help make lunches & snacks & listen to thier different homework readings as needed, I fold clothes,ect.
      I have dear friends I email,write,call, & who visit often.
      Ilove to hear how other seniors cope & what their hobbies are.
      God Bless Owlnona.

Comment

Gosh how time flies away! It seems like days are shorter than 24 hours now.

I am retired still and loving it. I still volunteer at my local hospital and enjoy meeting people and helping them. I volunteer in Outpatient Physical Therapy which is a pretty cool and positive place. I have learned a lot about my body-that is for sure. I also do health fairs for women with the Breast Center at the hospital.

I started swimming about 16 months ago and do it four days a week-year round. Our Y has a great indoor pool and great classes for older people-deep and shallow water ones. I have a whole circle of friends that I would have never met if I had not put on that swimsuit and started going. I also fill in as a sub teacher in the deep water aerobics and the cardio water class. I just started a Tai Chi class last week at the Y. I enjoyed the first one and I think it will be good for me in several ways.

I have 4 grandchildren-two who started college this year. And I have a "grand" dog who stays with us a few afternoons each week. She is a snoodle and a hoot. She is scary smart. She is 6 months old and has a lot of energy. But she also likes to take a nap beside me which is so nice.

My husband and I are going to Utah next month and visit several national parks. We are outdoor people-to an extent-and love to see nature at its finest.

I am thankful for so much in my life.

lydialou

Comment

M.S. has me comparing my senior years to a dogs life!

Senior at 60 and living in a senior community with (MLD) My Little Dog. Surely, she is going to outlive me! That is taken care of, in the event.

Senior and M.S. means 'Planning' with a PLAN B. Which for some, is planning to fail. And most likely, without a plan B, I would. So, this way I succeed!

Life is unpredictable and has become unpredictably amazing in my new senior community!

I've had to abandon my hobbies. Now, I am thinking of growing marijuana for a rewarding 'hobby' for my meds!

Somehow, that has me really excited! Whatever it takes! Never expected to not be 'able' to do the things I liked; but there are always new things!

The best part of this past year is: I've stopped expecting so much from myself. Once, I had a handle on that, life became EZ--and I stopped sweating the small stuff.

fed

Comment

Well, what can I say...Let's see, I was diagnosed in 2005, and I think it's time to start living my life. I've wasted too many years dwelling on and complaining about MS. It's time to get over it. The only thing is, recently I became eligible to enroll in Medicare (under 65, 2 yrs. on SSID), so I decided to enroll now in Original Medicare....big mistake. Enrolled in a Medigap Plan and a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (PDP)...another big mistake. It's anybody's guess what PDP I'll choose for 2014, as I just found out my DMD won't be covered in 2014 on my new drug plan.

Anyway, I'm putting that dilemma aside for the time being, going away for the weekend and take in the rest of this great weather at the jersey shore. Also, going forward hubby and I booked a cruise for Feb. 2014. I'm tired, and I'm certain although they don't say it, that family and friends are tired of hearing me vent and complain. So, I'm determined to try to look on the bright side, as things could be much worse. It's time to live while we're living!!!

Comment

I am retired and live in Central FL after living in NE PA for 35 years. I was DX just last year at age 62. What's that all about. As many have experience I went through a plethora of tests to rule out stroke, heart, etc that many seniors experience.
              I was and to some extent still able to participate in many exercise programs. I love to walk, play golf, swim and go to the gym. Actually my symptoms started when out on a long walk. I would often do 5-6 miles a day. April 2012 I was on a walk when I realized I could not feel my feet and terribly dizzy. Did make it home. My PCP thought maybe inner ear, ENT said Nah and sent me for an MRI. It showed brain lesions. Since I'm a two time breast cancer survivor the doctors immediately thought brain cancer. Hello. Cancer was ruled out and MS in. Better choice!!
              I still play some golf, try to exercise most days. My biggest problem is leg pain and weakness. I'm on Copaxone and doing just fine with injections.
              My husband and I love to travel and will be doing a river cruise in Europe. I'm worried about the walking but just need to forge ahead.
              So, getting older has brought new an unique challenges...not just the creaking bones

Comment

Was diagnosed 13 yrs. ago

I was diagnosed with SPMS in 2000. I had had different symptoms at different times of my life dating back to when I was 16. I apparently had RRMS from 16 till 47, and it was at that time it change to SPMS when the numbness tingling and pain didn't go away. I have lived with the same symptoms since then. I seem to have only had relapses about every 10 to 20 years although my present condition has not changed in the past 16 years, except that I am getting weaker with age. My house suffers as I can't keep it as clean and neat as I used to. I was lucky, as the years I had small children and teens, I had no symptoms present for those 20 years.

I moved to Florida in 1990. I had just had my second flare up 3 years earlier and it had gone completely away. I did not know that I had MS until after I moved to Florida. Then in 1995 I had a flare that cause problems with my eyesight, that cleared in about 6 months. Then 2 years later my legs and feet went numb for the second time in my life and they felt like my legs were tingling and painful if I walked too much. This last flare has never gotten any better. The doctor I had in Tampa finally but the dots together when he got all of my medical records together form when I was a teenager, and found my first flare was in 1966 when I was 16.

Two years ago my husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease and that has gotten worse over the last 25 months. He can no longer help me and I am getting weaker and more unable to do the heavier chores. I am his caregiver now, an he is no longer capable of understanding that this is a very heavy chore indeed. This life is not the one I bargained for, but it is the one I have to deal with every day.
                I am on nerve pain, antispasmodic, and antidepressant meds. Also Copaxone for the MS itself. Keeping mine and my husbands medications straight is a never ending battle in itself. I will be 64 in November and my husband is 69. We are on Medicare and Medicaid, I am on SS Disability. I can still get around to do shopping, and I can still drive so I am thankful for that. My daughter is in Orlando, over an hour and a half away and my son is in Lacey, Washington and can't travel for medical reasons.
                We are pretty much on our own. I will need to get help from somewhere very soon, but I don't even know who to call or what to ask about. We are in Zephyrhills, Florida, and yes the water comes form here. Can anyone out there help.
                Cheryl

Comment

Being elderly with MS

I've just been here once before--I haven't posted--just lurk and read. Had never noticed a forum for the elderly. Don't you hate to be in that category? Nov. 2013 marked my 75th birthday...good grief, I am a quarter of a century old! I was dx'd in 1981 with RR, and have been SP officially since 1994. So I have been living with MS for at least 35 yrs. Shortly after I was diagnosed I was told that MS mimics old age. My husband of 51 years is having his 78th birthday this month and as he complains about his failing abilities, I just say been there, done that. I was also told that my life expectancy was 65 years--doctors didn't know much about MS in 1981. Anyway, I want to say that I have been a lot luckier than so many of you with MS. I took some prednisone in the 1980's until I had a Prednisone induced diabetes attack which affected my eyesight. No Prednisone after that and eye sight returned to normal. I was on Betaseron from 1994 to 2004, when my neurologist agreed that it was no longer keeping me stable and the lesions from the shots were getting worse. I can say that MS has affected everything from my head to my feet. I just hanging on and trying not to hit the panic button. I have gone from cane to forearm crutches, to walker and then a scooter. My mobility has been drastically reduced in the last couple of years and I haven't been allowed to drive for a very long time. We live on a ranch 10 miles from the nearest town and I think loneliness and isolation are the pits. I have outlived so many friends, and others have drifted away. I have a lot of bluebird houses on our miles of fence which I clean and monitor with my small ATV which my husband gave me for mother's day about 10 years ago. It is wonderful to drive around and keep track of birds, cows, and a huge assortment of wildflowers. I have an e-reader which allows me to enlarge the print and I am an avid reader. When I look at the ages of you who who have posted here ... You Are All So Young! I try not to dwell on the things I can no longer do. I try not to fall down. I no longer resent wearing the heaviest pads to stay dry. A small dose of clonazapam keeps spasticity in check. 25 mg. of Imipramine helps me not have to go to the bathroom all night--it is used for kids with bed wetting problems. Low dose daily Macrobid has so far put a stop to UTI's. And a baby aspirin/day are the drugs I use. I just wanted you to know that yes MS is a MonSter no one wants, but it is possible to live well with it.

Comment

69 and waiting to be 70 :-)

I might be the oldest here! I'll be 70 in November! Being old is one thing, being able to get old is wonderful, because the alternative is not good!

I laugh some times because I do feel like I'm experiencing a lot of the old age issues, before I should.

MS keeps you humble.

I had an entirely different plan for retirement. Thing is that with the fatigue and other unwelcome issues, I didn't get to do many things I've wanted to.

I know others have it as bad or worse; it's just a matter of adjusting and moving on. I don't dwell on it too much.

Diane
                    You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Hello Cheryl (Beanbag) - I really feel for you. I'm sorry that you are going through all of this without any support. I am in a similar situation as my husband is sick a lot of the time, although not to the point of not being able to do things around the house (we are 60 and 61) and we do not have any children. I think about what I will do in the near future and it has been really hard to make a decision. Coincidentally, most of my family lives in Florida but I am very reluctant to move to a warm climate, leave my friends and the SF bay area which I really like. Although, financially it makes sense to sell our house and move.

I wish I could give you some advice but I don't know anything about the area where you are living. Do you have any social service agencies in your area that could give you advice and posssibly provide you with some volunteer help you in your home? Good luck, and I'm hoping that you will get the help that you need.

Comment

I hope others from this generation can relate but I'm sad about the changes that have gone on in our world. Yes, technology has brought us some nice conveniences like cell phones and IPads, but there are many things that make me sad. Climate change: We no longer have seasons where I live. Summer starts the second week in February and lasts until the middle of November., Those nice gentle Santa Ana winds that we used to get in the fall, now bring hurricane force dust storms. We haven't had any rain for five years. All the drought resistant gardens are dusty masses of wilting cactus. I had a young girl drive me to a doctors appointment and there were dust tornados swirling around in February. She said, "Look at that! Isn't that cool." I thought, 'isn't that horrifying that all the vegetation has been torn out with nothing left but bare dusty dirt, so dry it can't even absorb water, swirling around in the wind.' And, remember when we could go outside without getting a sunburn? No one talks of the damage to the ozone layer anymore. And, remember when we were concerned with overpopulation? We were responsible and didn't have large families only to find we are being outnumbered by less socially conscious groups. We thought the traffic was difficult in the 60s, now the roads are impassible. With overcrowding, owning a home in a pleasant location is a distant dream. I feel sad when I see an old man bagging groceries or sweeping floors in the supermarket. Every year there are more "cuts" to our quality of life and our pocketbooks.

And the telephone menus (press one for English, dos para español), if you are a health care provider, press star, if you are a patient, press one, if you are calling about starting Avonex or Techcidera press one, if you are calling about shipments, reorders press two, if you are currently... just to speak to someone usernames, passwords...and all the connectivity hassles. The technology gives us more options for interaction but less real personal interaction. Whenever you call a company there is someone at the switchboard asking for your name, address, telephone number, social security number and who knows what else then they transfer you to a customer service representative that will say "how are you today?" And not give a *** how you are. Then, if you have to call back, you have to go through the whole thing over again and get a different stranger.

And remember when there were little mom and pop grocery stores and other small businesses? Now, every city looks the same: Walmart, McDonalds, Best Buy, Jiffy Lube...

But the thing that is making me the most sad at the moment is the devastating effect immigration has had on the United States. We were taught tolerance only to be outnumbered by intolerant groups. Groups that refuse to assimilate and create conflicts in our communities. The sense of civic responsibility has faded with everyone retreating to their technology wired abodes.

I now have MS. Maybe having this illness has sheltered me from a lot of the strife. I just go to doctors and spend my time the way I want. I'd probably be sadder if I had to go out in it every day.

Comment

Palmtree, well written. Thank you. You expressed my thoughts very well.

Pkar2

Comment

Wish you lived near me!

Originally posted by foggyrose View Post
                            I've read and by-passed this thread a few times because I don't want to bring down the mood of most posting here....but here goes I have been diagnosed for 21 years and believe it was around 14 years prior. Secondary progressive for many years. The past six years I've used a powerchair full time, unable to take one lousy step. If I hang on for dear life, my feet will inch backward enough to toilet and get back in my chair.

A big part of my MS journey has involved pain....all over. It was thought to be fibromyalgia, but as time has passed, I believe it's good old MS pain as it seems to be at every nerve ending. No medication helps so I just take my two Aleve everyday to kind of take the edge off. Anyone else? Don't think it was mentioned by anyone here.

Another huge problem is my bladder issues. It's pretty hard going anywhere when there's no control. By the time I realize it's "potty time", it's too late. So, I'm house-bound except for doctor appointments. It's really difficult wrestling my stiff, spastic legs into a car and most people really don't want to bother. I have three adult "kids" and the one who helps the most (transportation) is my son and DIL. Two daughters -- one about an hour away, the other across the country, no help from either. Barely a phone call except when they need something.

From the immobility, I'm dealing with my second episode of cellulitis in my calves. This is really yucky with drainage, etc. My legs are so heavy it's almost impossible to lift them to put on pants. Yes, I sit and cry alot from the frustration. Living alone, divorced after 24 years and the same year diagnosed, the joy of living has gone out of my life. Six gkids but am unable to see them often. One ggkid on the way.

My birthday is next week, #68, and I wonder how much longer this torture will continue? With no hope in sight, I'm ready to meet the Lord now. See.....I told you this would be depressing. Sorry, but we're not all so accepting and pleased with our lot in life. "Golden years"???? Bah, humbug.
                            Your post made me sad! I'm 69, dx'd with MS 21 yrs ago. I didn't take any of the DMD's till 4 yrs ago and now take the Copaxone 3X40mg per week.

I'm thinking of dropping the DMD, I'm just so tired of injecting and frankly I think I'm worse since taking it. The only reason I continue is due to not wanting to not be able to start a DMD again if I stop. Also Neuro pushes it.

You know I've thought so much about age and MS. Certainly we have issues that are confusing. Bladder issues? MS or result of having children and post menopause? No one can really tell us can they. I mean when I saw a urologist I didn't get any feeling he could relate to my MS and if it were the cause of bladder leaks.

Everything makes me more puzzled. When I read your post and felt how down you are, I wanted to give you a hug. You've gone through life changes that are very hard and could make you feel bad without the added burden of MS.

I wonder if you can reach out to your children. Do they understand what you are going through? I live quite far from my sons, but they are supportive and help me keep my chin(s) up. I guess I'm lucky. Sometimes though you have to find a way between suffering in silence and saying too much. There should be a way you can get some much needed help.

I'm just suggesting this because if I lived alone with all that you have to deal with I'm sure I'd feel the same. How about the local MS chapter? You need someone to talk to and another MS'er would be great. especially if you could find someone in the same age group.

I do wish you well; I'm sure words are not the same as actions, but I just hope it helps a bit. By the way, it is okay to cry, not a weakness AND it does kind of help in a way.

Diane
                            You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I think I'd start swimming..if

Originally posted by lydialou View Post
                              Gosh how time flies away! It seems like days are shorter than 24 hours now.

I am retired still and loving it. I still volunteer at my local hospital and enjoy meeting people and helping them. I volunteer in Outpatient Physical Therapy which is a pretty cool and positive place. I have learned a lot about my body-that is for sure. I also do health fairs for women with the Breast Center at the hospital.

I started swimming about 16 months ago and do it four days a week-year round. Our Y has a great indoor pool and great classes for older people-deep and shallow water ones. I have a whole circle of friends that I would have never met if I had not put on that swimsuit and started going. I also fill in as a sub teacher in the deep water aerobics and the cardio water class. I just started a Tai Chi class last week at the Y. I enjoyed the first one and I think it will be good for me in several ways.

I have 4 grandchildren-two who started college this year. And I have a "grand" dog who stays with us a few afternoons each week. She is a snoodle and a hoot. She is scary smart. She is 6 months old and has a lot of energy. But she also likes to take a nap beside me which is so nice.

My husband and I are going to Utah next month and visit several national parks. We are outdoor people-to an extent-and love to see nature at its finest.

I am thankful for so much in my life.

lydialou
                              IF I could wear a suit that covered me from neck to ankle! I would have so much anxiety to get into my suit and go out in public. I used to have a home in Florida, with a pool and I miss it. Even if I just put my weights on and jumped up and down minus nasty gravity weighing me down. Water does wonders. It's only when I'd get out I'd feel like I had lead weights in my legs.

Anyway, glad you've found a good solution. I'm thinking of turning down my hot tub to cool and getting in. At least I can do a few leg lifts. We live in the south; it's humid and in the 90's so a 'hot tub' is not really all that great until winter "-).

Diane

Comment

Originally posted by melody60 View Post
                                Well, what can I say...Let's see, I was diagnosed in 2005, and I think it's time to start living my life. I've wasted too many years dwelling on and complaining about MS. It's time to get over it. The only thing is, recently I became eligible to enroll in Medicare (under 65, 2 yrs. on SSID), so I decided to enroll now in Original Medicare....big mistake. Enrolled in a Medigap Plan and a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (PDP)...another big mistake. It's anybody's guess what PDP I'll choose for 2014, as I just found out my DMD won't be covered in 2014 on my new drug plan.

Anyway, I'm putting that dilemma aside for the time being, going away for the weekend and take in the rest of this great weather at the jersey shore. Also, going forward hubby and I booked a cruise for Feb. 2014. I'm tired, and I'm certain although they don't say it, that family and friends are tired of hearing me vent and complain. So, I'm determined to try to look on the bright side, as things could be much worse. It's time to live while we're living!!!
                                Okay, I have to puzzle this out. I am 69 and on a DMD for a bit more than 4 yrs (late starter!). So four yrs ago I was 65 (Medicare eligible), but not on SSID. Still, who the heck can afford to pay for the DMD's???

My neuro simply got to work and got me eligible. I think all you need is the neuros evaluation of your MS and some help. I get the usual crap letters from Medicare (you are right that it's fairly worthless) but I also get my drugs through an online pharmacy and between them and Tena (Copaxone support) they do what it takes to get authorization. I have a medicare supplement plan through AARP. Look into that. Really Medicare pays very little of the cost; the supplemental insurance pays it. I pay a $25.00 co pay. I'm called prior to every thirty days to tell me they're mailing my meds.

E-mail me if you need more info.

Diane

Comment

Working...
                                X