OCD and MS - anyone else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OCD and MS - anyone else?

I've MS dx'd 13 years ago, but just last week was diagnosed with OCD (Obsessive-compulsive disorder) too. Just wondering if any of you out there have both?

MS had become one of my obsessions - sort of a 'I have MS' mantra going over and over in my mind. I've moved on to checking windows at the moment (I have a list of worries!) but to be honest, I feel a huge sense of relief at the diagnosis of OCD. I am not mad, I am not a nasty person for thinking horrible thoughts- I just have lived with OCD for 20+ years.

Stress with OCD is hard to live with, my OCD gets worse when other stressors increase. I have tried meditation and hypnosis in the past but anxious thoughts always intrude. I hope to start cognitive-behavioural therapy in the next few months and I'm on Cymbalta which is making a difference to my mood. If anyone has any mental-health tips for dealing with OCD & MS I'd love to hear from you.

I have been diagnosed with OCD about 9 years ago.
    I came out of an abusive situation and the only reason I found the strength to get out was because "my children needed me" and I felt if I didn't get out it was going to end in a very bad way.
    A few years later 9/11 happened and I cried to my then husband and he said "If anything happens, there is nothing we can do about it" I felt so unsafe and feared for my childrens safety.
    A little bit after that we had a group of men enter a bank here and kill everyone inside. Before they caught the men and I was scared to death and crying my then husband left us alone at the house, my children and I, to go to the store. I begged him to stay as I was very scared. He told me I was being silly and left. Turns out the men came right through our little town about 10 miles from where the murders happened.
    I then decided my husband was going to do nothing for my children and I and I became obsessed with the fact that it was only going to me that will protect my children. This was a job I absolutely could NOT fail. Let the OCD commence. I wouldn't sleep and I would check doors and windows and wires and plugs over and over and over again. I made the rounds throughout my home over and over every day, especially at night. I couldn't sleep because if I slept, in my mind, I wasn't protecting my children.
    By the time I went to the Dr I was a complete mess and feeling absolutely crazy...it was then that I was diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress disorder. We started me on anti- anxiety meds and that helped me immensely. I took them for a few months then decided I had to get a grip on things myself and stopped them completely.
    I have been doing very well since then. I simply try to look at things in a sensible way and calmly.
    DX 10/26/11

Comment

Awhile back we had a thread about this and quite a few members came forward with their stories.

My dad is the worst in the family, but it always has never caused a serious problem. He admits he has a "number" and has to do whatever the ritual is that many times. His centers around turning off and on lights primarily, checking the stove, unplugging appliances to feel safe.

I was a hair puller for awhile. I also tend to be superstitious about wearing certain clothes, stuff that doesn't make sense, but makes me feel less anxious. When my DD is stressed, she scratches inside her ears until they bleed. I always know when she is stressed.

Wellbutrin helps greatly for me. I do recognize what I'm doing and that it is not logical as far as what outcome I expect from repetitive behaviors. I get some comfort knowing there is probably a genetic link, so what is going on is not necessarily a "fault".

Comment

yep. years ago. And running,obsessively of course,helped me. Than cut down on exercising 4 hours a day,had a nice balance,than ms. exercise has always helped me. An its so limited now,not sure what to do. I really am slipping d/t loss of exercise,but if u look at me,i look normal other than a funky walk at times. Zoloft helped my ocd and i think i may try it again.

Comment

Yup. Diagnosed with OCD as a kid. The doctor said that all of the notes he had from past doctors had shown OCD behavior before as well as depression and anxiety so he put me on Zoloft. I learned my triggers and found out ways to deal with the OCD, Depression, and Anxiety and have since been off of the medication. It's by no means "cured" but I've learned how to live my life and avoid my triggers or alleviate the problems with certain behaviors (ie, counting all of the windows in my house or cleaning my already clean room over again when my OCD strikes).

The MS I just learned about April 1, 2010. It's definitely an interesting combination. I learned quickly that I have a slight germ issue since my time in the hospital due to the MS and now it's just another thing to live with. Makes for a fun time, now doesn't it?
          Dx RR MS - April 1st, 2010. (19 yrs old)
          Words To Live By: "Fall Seven Times; Stand Up Eight."

Comment

yup ocd and ms here!!

I am not a worries, my ocd component is more obsessive thought process.

things keep going over and over in a head like a movie reel out of control........

cognitive behavior therapy is very good at teaching the brain to rework itself. it is almost like rewiring your brain. teaching it to redirect once the reel begins.

i'm good at it now has taken years, yet when i'm stressed i obsess.

good luck
            Jen Dx'd 5/11
            "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

I haven't been dx with OCD, but I highly suspect this is a part of my personality. I have stacks of MSWORLD messages printed out from the last 10 years. I am constantly searching, researching, reading, printing, posting etc. And I've been in denial for 10 years!

I have to go over every thought in my mind many times to get them just right. I can't let go. I've become one of these who is constantly wiping down counters, sweeping floors, picking up any little thing I see. And I really don't have the energy for this kind of cleaning. I'm not a neat freak and my house is not picky perfect or spotless. But I'm always trying.

I "rehearse" my doctor visits like crazy. I want to have everything prepared before I see them so I don't forget anything. Of course, I make lists!!!

Awhile back I wrote a post here about the MS personality. It might still be out there. I hear ya'll!!
              Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Wow - what strange timing! I was going to pose the same question - or something similar.

I've had OCD since I was a child. My parents are alcoholics and I grew up in a volatile environment. No physical abuse. Quite a lot of emotional abuse. And you couldn't be sick, especially mentally/emotionally, in my family so I couldn't say anything.

My Barbies had to be in the same place in their "house" in my closet before I went to bed; the knickknacks on my dresser had to all be positioned perfectly, this graduated into obessive thinking in college, then "checking" after college - locks, where the cats were; I would drive home from just getting to work just to make sure they were still in the house and the doors were locked. The racing thoughts were out of control in college, I'm surprised I graduated.

The checking locks and cats continues, but medication helps. I also have a rare form of OCD, I don't cut but I "pick" my skin. I have scars from picking bumps or raised freckles on my skin. They want to put it in it's own dx category because it's the hardest to cure, most meds can't touch this one. Stress brings this out big time.

Now with the dx of bipolar I probably should just be put out to pasture! Surprisingly, it's somewhat under control and the dx of MS didn't trigger anything initially. It was the loss of work, disability and no healthcare that started it up again. It's not as frantic as it used to be, I have learned to journal when the thoughts don't stop, I keep the finger nails very short (can't afford acrylic anymore - the thicker the better) and my BF is also very cautious about knowing where the cats are when we leave so that helps.

OCD seems to be triggered by an extremely stressful event or a continuing stressful situation. It's a coping mechanism. I sure wish the brain could come up with something else. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if people finding out about chronic illnesses developed some type of OCD. I just hope no one out there gets the "self mutilation" type, it's a hard one to ditch.

One therapist told me to put a rubber band on my wrist and everytime I felt the need to check the door I needed to snap it - it actually worked! I felt so stupid snapping that rubber band I only checked the door once and walked away! But that only works if I'm gone for a short time, if it's a vacation or something, I'm checking at least 3 times before I get in the car! We tried the rubber band for the picking but nada - didn't work.

Good luck to all - I know how you feel.
                This music is the glue of the world Mark. It's what holds it all together. Without this, life would be meaningless

Comment

Working...
                X