Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melatonin not good for ms patients?

Hi,

There has been controversial information concerning melatonin for ms patients. Some say it could be even harmful.

Recently I started using melatonin for sleep. After ten days a relapse started. I also started feeling nauseous.

Now I have taken a break from melatonin since. One evening I took one pill just out of curiousity, and - padam - next day i felt nauseous again.

It think I'll put these pills in the back of my cupboard and will not touch them for a long time.

What experiences do you have about melatonin, as a multiple sclerosis sufferer?

When you say "relapse," I assume you mean pseudoexacerbation? It could have been brought on by the melatonin, but it could also have been a coincidence.

According to the NMSS, "Melatonin is an immune stimulator with an effect on interleukin receptors. Whether it has any actual clinical effect in autoimmune disorders or in MS is not known."

As far as the nausea is concerned, that's a potential side effect of many supplements. Taking melatonin with a small amount of food might help.

I took it for a while years ago, when I already had MS but hadn't yet been diagnosed. I didn't have any problems with it, but also didn't get any benefit.

Here's a link to an older thread about melatonin, including a response from Tara:

http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=112897

Comment

I took melatonin for awhile, but it gave me awful nightmares, so I don't take it anymore.
      Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
      Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
      Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

After I wake up in the morning after taking Melatonin I am dizzy and nausious. My wife read on a bottle of her Melatonin a warning saying: If you had an Auto-Amune disease not to take it. My bottle did not have that warning, so go figure!

Comment

I have been taking 2x3mg Melatonin pills every night before sleep for a few years. With 2x25mg Diphenhydramine. It helps me stay asleep, wake more rested. It has never caused any problem with my MS.
          Bill
          Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

People can have different experiences with supplements.
            Sounds like you were fairly scientific in your evaluation of melatonin for yourself. -sorry it didn't work for you.

I have several MS patients successfully using melatonin.

I think the leap of equating an "immune stimulant" with increasing symptoms is just that -a leap!
            NutritionTara
            Eat better, feel better and be richer for it.

Comment

tried it for a few nights: crazy nightmares: zoiks!

Don't think it has anything to do with the MS, but I'll take a pass.

Comment

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01279876

They are still doing trials with melatonin and its effect on MS patients.

Comment

Funny. I read somewhere that melatonin supposedly offered a measure of neuroprotection.

It didn't work for my insomnia. I am in love with Ambien, however. Wish I would have asked to try it years ago.
                  I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

I feel awful when I take that, calcium and magnesium also makes me dizzy ,strange

Comment

I love love love melatonim - I don't think I was ever a heavy sleeper but when I started taking provigil to help boost my energy level my Dr said it might keep me up and I may need something to help me sleep - He said I should look for something natural (something OTC) I asked him about melatonim and he said OK - I love it! I take it 15 minutes before to sleep, I read a book in bed and quickly drift off to sleep.

I have no side effects but finally I'm getting a good night's sleep
                      Diagnosed in 1986 - Copaxone since 1994 - Started Tysabri Feb 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Shashi View Post
                        I took melatonin for awhile, but it gave me awful nightmares, so I don't take it anymore.
                        I am trying to get off abein, I take 1/4 of a 5mg tablet. Tried melatonin after 4 days at the low dose of Ambein, I had horrible nightmares and very unrest full night with the melatonin. So this does not work for all.

Comment

Ambien

Wow I'm not a Dr but I do have some experience with Ambien to share. I had been taking Ambien regularly for many years when I began having strange nightmare s which always ended up with me being paralyzed. It was so convincing to me that. I brought it up to a sleep doctor. I told him I wasnt sure but I thought I would actually become paralyzed at night. The Dr. Told me that nightmares were a common problem for long time users. I decided to take myself off and gradually cut back as it sounds like you are doing. I continued to have nightmares until I was completely off so that may explain why you are still having nightmares. It may have nothing to do with the melatonin. I did schedule the sleep study and I am waiting for results. At least I know the paralysis I experienced in my sleep wasn't real. Good luck getting off ambien and losing t he nightmares.

Comment

Working...
                          X