MS Hugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS Hugs

What does an MS Hug feel like? What can the doctors do for it?

it feels like u cant take a deep breath cuz when u do ur rib cage or back or chest or side hurts when u do take a deep breath. sumtimes u dont have to take a deep breath to feel the pain. muscle relaxers i think. i hydrate and rest. and dont drink diet coke. 4 me,that stuff in it makes it worse,aspartme or however u spell it. thats how it the hug feels for me.

Comment

How long do they last? I am trying to figure out if I've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by juliebrush View Post
        it feels like u cant take a deep breath cuz when u do ur rib cage or back or chest or side hurts when u do take a deep breath. sumtimes u dont have to take a deep breath to feel the pain. muscle relaxers i think. i hydrate and rest. and dont drink diet coke. 4 me,that stuff in it makes it worse,aspartme or however u spell it. thats how it the hug feels for me.
        yay, finally. So now I know what I had. I thought i pulled a muscle or the air got stuck the other day. I couldn't draw a deep breath because it would hurt. Also when i was sitting down to watch tv I was in pain. I had trouble exhaling before and the pcp told me that it was just shortness of breath caused by copaxone so she put me on anti anxiety meds that knocked me out. I had no trouble breathing because I was sleeping all day and couldn't feel a thing
        RRMS Diagnosed December 2009,
        on Copaxone December 2009-October 2011 -
        Starting interferons hopefully soon.

Comment

Originally posted by buckfield View Post
          How long do they last? I am trying to figure out if I've had one.
          Sometimes weeks,sometimes a day. But do not panic,hydrating seems to help. And also,if u r not restricted from using magnesium,got to health food store,get something called "calm".....mix it in sum water b4 bed,take it nightly until loose. It relaxes the muscles,of course check with ur doc,if they even know what it is. but,do not panic. i promise u it is okay.

Comment

Sometimes weeks,sometimes a day. But do not panic,hydrating seems to help. And also,if u r not restricted from using magnesium,got to health food store,get something called "calm".....mix it in sum water b4 bed,take it nightly until loose. It relaxes the muscles,of course check with ur doc,if they even know what it is. but,do not panic. i promise u it is okay.
            By "loose" you mean until your stools are loose, right?

A less expensive, but just as effective, alternative to Calm is plain Magnesium Citrate powder (not tablets, not capsules) which is also stirred into water and drunk before bed. I use it for spasticity (legs, shoulders), and it does help.

Comment

MS Hug

It's hard to believe some of you seem to have the MS Hug for as little as you do. Mine has been continuous for 40 years but I am lucky with some of the other things you have.

Lois

Comment

Thanks juliebrush, these symptoms can be nervewracking at times.

Comment

The MS hug I don't consider as nervewracking as some other symptoms - like the nerve pain in my skin, I think it's called dysthesia or something like that. A burning pain. With that, I can't get comfortable - it hits my back, so there is no getting comfortable, and it hits my arms, so that's what gets me into anxiety attacks. The MS hug, well, I can reason that out - it's not as painful for me as the dysthesia, and I know it'll go away.
                  Diagnosis: May, 2008
                  Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

MShug affects me a bit differently as well. It doesn't hurt - it feels one of two ways:

1. Like I am wearing a girdle. I feel really tight in my midsection like my body is being squished... but I almost find this to be comforting.

2. Like someone wrapped a belt around my thigh and was yanking it tight. This one is more bothersome. The 'Area" that I feel the hug in is very specific and "thin" thus the Belt comparison.

Comment

Can they feel like a charlie horse in your midsection, and be really painful?
                      Brenda
                      Adversity gives you two choices in life: either let it make you bitter, or let it make you better! I choose the latter.

Comment

I have had this for two solid years. 24/7. It wakes me up at night with pain. At first I thought it was my stomach burning so bad that I could feel it through to my back. $1200 worth of testing later, nothing is wrong with my stomach. Pretty soon I realized it was coming from my back. Painful burning, doubled over, needing to vomit, like I was wearing a tight, tight belt. X-ray of my back showed nothing wrong.

Soon I learned that stress expanded the pain from right under my breasts (where I imagine my stomach is) to my armpits down to my hips. Like wearing an iron girdle that gets tighter and tighter, so I can hardly breathe. Excruciating pain. Kill yourself pain. I was on Mobic for pain for over a year. Different muscle relaxers. My neurologist had no clue--I mentioned MS hug and he's never heard of it. I am now living on muscle relaxers. Valium works well but you get a tolerance and need a higher and higher dose, which isn't easy to get. I take something called Tizanidine (?) that dulls down enough that I can function. If I take a half I can stumble around. If I take a whole I have to go to sleep.

Is there no solution for this symptom? Because this is not a gentle pressure or tingling for me. This feels like I am being squeezed in half by a belt, like something from a "Saw" movie. I did a three-day stint of oral prednisone with no effect. I'm starting to think a longer stint of IV steroid--which I hate steroids more than anything, but I cannot continue like this.
                        Proud Mom of three kids!
                        dx'd 1996

Comment

Mine can be a couple of different things. Like muscle spasms in my back and ribs like in a band, but it goes all the way around and squeezes - mine doesn't always make me feel like I cannot breath. Mine is typically higher - like bra line - so it feel more like a mock heart attack. First time was pretty scary. My BP gets really high too - because it really hurts. I also can get them around my middle too - like a girdle.
                          Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
                          ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkgirl View Post
                            I have had this for two solid years. 24/7. It wakes me up at night with pain. At first I thought it was my stomach burning so bad that I could feel it through to my back. $1200 worth of testing later, nothing is wrong with my stomach. Pretty soon I realized it was coming from my back. Painful burning, doubled over, needing to vomit, like I was wearing a tight, tight belt. X-ray of my back showed nothing wrong.

Soon I learned that stress expanded the pain from right under my breasts (where I imagine my stomach is) to my armpits down to my hips. Like wearing an iron girdle that gets tighter and tighter, so I can hardly breathe. Excruciating pain. Kill yourself pain. I was on Mobic for pain for over a year. Different muscle relaxers. My neurologist had no clue--I mentioned MS hug and he's never heard of it. I am now living on muscle relaxers. Valium works well but you get a tolerance and need a higher and higher dose, which isn't easy to get. I take something called Tizanidine (?) that dulls down enough that I can function. If I take a half I can stumble around. If I take a whole I have to go to sleep.

Is there no solution for this symptom? Because this is not a gentle pressure or tingling for me. This feels like I am being squeezed in half by a belt, like something from a "Saw" movie. I did a three-day stint of oral prednisone with no effect. I'm starting to think a longer stint of IV steroid--which I hate steroids more than anything, but I cannot continue like this.
                            Hawkgirl, I have it as bad as you, but not as long. It's horrible... Don't know how much longer I can deal with this.

This is the worst symptom I've ever had.

Comment

MS Hug

I find it a real education how many types of Hugs we all have. Sometimes mine goes all the way down to my hips. Sometimes it is a narrow band any where along the way from top to bottom. It sounds like it is different for almost everyone. Sometimes it is a wide band.

Lois

Comment

Working...
                              X