How would this work? Private ins & SSDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would this work? Private ins & SSDI

I currently have private disability insurance and SSDI. These were both awarded about 2 years ago when I had to quit work due to MS. I had a review by my private insurer 1 year ago on whether I could do my previous job...the answer was no. This was based on my doctor's notes.

Now the private insurer is doing a review on whether I can do any work. They will be using my doctor's notes and have me go to one of their docs for evaluation. Let's say that after their review they state that I can do meaningful work and cancel my private insurance. How would this effect my SSDI?

Hi, bikerider. Social Security is not bound by decisions of private carriers when you have been found disabled and therefore should not be bound by a decision terminating private disability insurance benefits. That being said, I could possibly envision a situation where SSA could be influenced by the decision of a private disability carrier, if they were to obtain and review the private carrier's decision or a report completed by a doctor for the private carrier.

The issue in these continuing disability reviews is whether there has been medical improvement sufficient for you to return to work.

Here is some real basic information from SSA's website regarding their reviews: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10053.html.

Good luck bikerider and consider consulting with an attorney if you have questions regarding your private or SSA disability benefits.

Rich
    Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
    X