Question for Rich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Rich

How much income per month can I make and still keep my full SSDI? I have herd $720 and $940. Can you help me out?

I found the following on a web site: i kNow it's alot to read but bottom line is they say to talk with a lawyer if you want to really verify what and how much work you can do and not hurt your SSDI.

Trial Work Programs
    If you are receiving benefits under SSDI and you determine that you wish to work, you must notify the Social Security Administration immediately. This will not stop your benefits right away. The SSA has a program called a "ticket to work" that actually encourages you to go back to work and that provides training and other incentives to do so. One of those incentives is that you may keep your full benefits while you are working during a trial work period. You get to keep not only the monthly SSDI income, but also Medicare or Medicaid benefits during this trial period.

The rules, then, are as follows:

•During the trial period, your benefits are not affected at all and as long as you still meet the definition of disabled, you can earn as much as you want. You do need to inform the SSA of your earnings.
    •You are permitted to work for nine months during a 60-month time span and have those months considered to be part of your trial work period. Any month in which your income exceeds $720 (after expenses, for the self-employed) is considered to be one of the nine trial months you are allowed. This $720 number refers to the income limit for 2011; it can change annually.
    •Once the nine months are up, you have another 36 months in which you may work and still get benefits if your earnings don't exceed a certain threshold considered to be "substantial." This means that any month during those 36 months where you don't earn above a certain amount, you'll get the full total of your benefits. As of 2011, the income threshold considered to be "substantial" is $1000. If you earn less than $1,000 during the 36 months "extended eligibility" period, you'll still get benefits. The $1,000 is calculated after all work related expenses.
    Attempt to Work Without Risking a Loss of Disability Benefits
    These rules allow you to earn income and try working while disabled in the hopes that you will be able to earn enough to one day avoid reliance on SSDI benefits. They allow you a safety net in which to do that without risking the benefits you're eligible for.

If you have concerns about what working will do to your ability to receive benefits, or any other concerns about your SSDI benefits, you should speak to an attorney. Your lawyer can help to make sure you do not accidentally do anything that puts your necessary benefit payments at risk.

Comment

Hi, everyone and bucky1 and bella. Yep, bella, that about says it all, doesn't it; and it is a mouthful. SSA sure doesn't make it easy for people to return to work and know how much they can earn.

I would like to add that people have to keep in mind IRWEs (Impairment Related Work Expenses). They can lower the amount of gross income one makes to possibly below the Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) Level.

Also, keep in mind that this Trial Work Period rules do not apply to SSI benefits. For SSI benefits, after the first $85 of income, there is a dollar reduction in SSI benefits for each $2 of earned income.

Rich
      Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
      X