Got my SC approval today!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my SC approval today!!!

Just got a call from PVA and I have been approved for 60% along with grant for vehicle, The VA is also going to have me eval for vision problems and depression and see if I am entited to any more, He said he has also found a few other things for secondary issues that they will also put me in for. Total of 7 months since I put in my claim. The VA overroad thier PA's decision once the PVA requested a review of the case.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Congratulations, I am getting ready to submit my claim & have contacted the PVA. I'm glad things worked out for you.

My understanding is that 30% is the minimum rating for SC MS, is this true?

How often does it go higher?

Comment

I was told the min was 40% but may be wrong on that, They gave me 40% for ms, 10% for Type 2 diabetes and 10% for damage to my knee which was injured while on active duty, I have had surgery on it twice and still having problems and it also happens to be my bad leg from MS.

Can't nswer your question regarding how oftern it goes higher but with me there are sx that were not addressed by the VA which are considered secondary condition to my MS so those are going to be submitted for futher eval and possible compensation.Those include my inablility to walk any real distance and having to use a W/C when out at mall, etc, numbness and loss of some feeling in my hands, and difficulties speaking and swallowing at times.

Just FYI I have been discharged for 24 yrs (1987)next month, so there is hope for those who have been out over 7 yrs, just got lucky that there was good documentation in my medical records that was hard to argue against the point including Dr's notes that they were at a loss as to what was causing problems and that further test would need to be done in the future if sx persist, one dr even noted it was a possible nuero problem but never said anything to me or went any further with tests, but then again MRI wasn't avail in the old days.

I can't say enough about the PVA, from the moment I gave them the POA they have handled everything and kept me up to date on the status along the way. He spent an hour with me on the phone today telling me everything I am eligible for now and what else I needed to advise my nuero of so everything can be considered. Now just have to wait for the check, looks like a good Christmas at the Scooter house this year.

Good luck with your claim.

Comment

Thank-You for the info Scooter & again, Congrats

Comment

The only thing I did wrong was I put the claim in myself then handed it over to the PVA, after talking to him yesterday I found out that I didn't list some sx that I should have and that is part of the reason we have to back thru for some secondary items, if they had reviewed prior to submittal they would have caught those.

Comment

How long did it take?

Congrats on your SC rating. I filed for mine back in April of this year and just 2 weeks ago had my Eval appointment for my case. My question to you is, how long did it take for the whole process for you? The man I filed my claim with in Abilene, TX at the TVC office said that it will take a year from the day I filed my claim. Is this true? Let me know. I appreciate it, and again, congrats.

Comment

The official file date was feb 2 2011, I had my C & P exam on june 28th, PVA took it over in march, so in the end by the time I should get my back pay will be about 9-10months, not far off from a year. I am figuring probably the same amount of time for further exams and approval for a higher rating, mind you there is one guy in our support group who has had his in for over 2 years but his medical records don't show any sure signs of MS while on active duty were as mine show it dating back to mid to late 70s while still on active duty and about 10yrs before I got out. sign up for the ebefits page on the VA web site, you can keep an eye on it there and see what the suspense date for the descision is though that really doesn't mean much but gives you an idea when it might get done, my suspense date was aug 8 so it was about a month late.

Good luck with your claim.

Comment

hey scooter, do you have ringing in your ears? if so thats automatic 10% if you were in a combat arms MOS was 11b myself and 24 yrs later that to was awarded to me just trying to get my ms service connected along with diebetes and high blood pressure, also if your scars bother you and effects your range of motion that too cant be 10 percent, you can also apply for unemployabilty and recieve 100 percent for that.....

Comment

Lovejoy- yes I have the ringing in my ears, have had it so long that I forgot to mention that, another one for the list, don't know how they figure unemployability, but I am on SSDI so we will see what happens with that, also have some trouble swallowing, etc etc, that is why once I get my official approval in writing then we will back again. Thanks for the heads up, I was A/f but I had to be rifle qualify every year don't know if that counts but the ringing is also supposed to be a MS sx for some. The $ is nice but I was more concerned getting medical care more than anything. It is just in time as I have to sign up for medicare or refuse by Nov 1st. PVA rep also said they don't count it for % but if males have ED they get an extra 97.00 per month.

Comment

Hey guys, can I be an a whole for just a minute?
                    When we started this forum, I wanted to avoid what I'd call "shopping list" threads for general VA claims.
                    First of all, we're hosted by an MS forum and MS is still pretty serious stuff. The one thing I truelly hate is knowing there are vets out there NOT getting treated for MS because people in the VA system think they are faking it. It happens.
                    Sadly, there are also people out there who are getting pensions for stuff that isn't nessesarily there. We all know they're out there and I like to think of them as getting money and services someone else could really use.

When we lose our credibility, its really tough to get it back.

Keep in mind that anyone can read this forum. Anyone can also post in it and I'd rather not see this turn into a bunch of one hit wonders asking how they can get a free ride.

Sorry if I read anything out of context, but I seriously doubt we can get an extra 100 bucks a month if we say we can't get it up.

Comment

Hey Bob, actaully would be surprised to find out what available for vets, and as far as shoplifting from the VA well, i put my time in and have about 30 inches of scars and minus a lung from my service... not to mention ptsd... Hey Scooter click on my name and u can email me and i can give you some tips....Bob yes this forum is about MS but its also about Vets with MS, and as far as anyone reading this stuff heck i would post my name and addy on it makes me no difference have nothing to hide or afraid of nothing .Just service people chatting if i am wrong i am sure a Mod will correct me or ban me either way no skin of my back

Comment

Hey Bob, go to the Veterans Voice website and you will see the "ED" is something that the VA will compasate for cause it usaully is a secondary reactions to Diebetes, Ptsd, or some meds that we take for service connected disabilty, just saying if the VA says i am entiled to something and they approve it after going thru there tests, and counceling i am morethan willing to take it cause i am quite sure i have earned it

Comment

Bob- I am in no way shoplifting the VA, as I said I screwed up and submitted my claim before contacting the PVA, the PVA rep of went down a short list he had of sx of MS that I had not listed and asked if I had any of them, I said yes to about 5 or 6 out of a good dozen or so, for instance he asked about depression, never put it down on the claim but take 3 pills a day for it, asked if I had foot drop yes I do and the VA gave me a walkaide so I assumed it is in the file but apparently unless I put it on the claim it isn't considered. Mainly what they used for a basis for my approval was my VA nuero's review of my active duty med records. AS I said previously the $ is nice but my main oncern was getting my ms treatments. It is just when you live with things for so long I have a tendacy to forget about them unless it is causing me a problem today.

Comment

lovejoy- can't figure out how to get thru to you on the yahoo link , please send me an email at the address shown on my profile.

Comment

Can't believe it 4 working days since I got a call from PVA rep and rcvd my back pay today, still haven't gotten anything official from the VA saying I was determined S/C. Just for reference what day do we get our checks/or deposit from the VA.

Comment

Working...
                              X