MS and suicide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and suicide

I know that depression and MS are related as are quality of life and MS. Does anyone know of any studies or data collection has been done for MS sufferers who commit suicide?

Originally posted by mtnwillow View Post
    I know that depression and MS are related as are quality of life and MS. Does anyone know of any studies or data collection has been done for MS sufferers who commit suicide?
    The suicide rate for people with MS is higher than for the general population.

I don't know of any studies or data collection as to why, specifically, people with MS commit suicide...whether it's due to depression or quality of life (which would be pretty much impossible to separate, I'd think).

Comment

You might google Dr. Jack Kavorkian and MS patients. When I watched the documentary about him, it said that 40% of his assisted suicide patients had MS. You might be able to find more information as to why.
      Rae Roy

Comment

Google some variation of "multiple sclerosis and suicide statistics" and the studies will come up. Stick to the scholarly articles for the most reliable statistics. Anything you come across on a forum, in a chat room, on a "homemade" website or in an article about someone else's estimate of data should be viewed with some skepticism and used as more as references for finding those reliable, scholarly sources. If you look at only one source (e.g., articles by or about Jack Kavorkian), the information will still be interesting but the data will be skewed.

Comment

it's high.

Comment

Originally posted by juliebrush View Post
            it's high.
            Not that high. Here's just one of many scholarly articles on the subject, from PubMed:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC489162/

According to this study, the standard mortality rate of suicide in MS was 1.95%, compared to the general population at 1.83%.

Still, any statistically significant increased risk is a sad thing for MSers and the people who love them.

Comment

Thanks to all who posted. I found studies (forgot to copy links). People with MS are 1.8 times more likely than others to commit suicide. Most of the suicides are within the first year of diagnosis. Of the 21 assisted suicides by Dr Kavorkin at least 8 were suffering with MS.
              Interferon has also been found to increase risk of suicide.

Comment

You thread bothers me! I have known too many people( not MSers) that have taken their lives..... Is this studies, FYI, or are you at the end of your rope?? I have read MS is known as the suicide disease, if u need help, Please talk to me, you dr, someone who can relate!!!!!!

With love,

Stacy- progressive MS

Comment

I read an interesting article about why ms the suicide rate is higher--although not that much higer per the data Sequoia found, my thanks to Sequoia for posting that

the article i read explained why ms has a higher rate of suicide/depression because it is a chronic disease of "continual loss"....its not like being able to walk independently and then having to use a walker 1x, going through the 7 stages of grief over having to use a walker, then move on with life after getting used to the walker, its then having to restart the 7 stages of grief when it becomes a w/c...ect.

maybe the other way to look at it is its a non fatal illness that allows a person to live through continual loss, often repeating the loss through the RR nature of ms, it takes a strong person to live with continual loss over & over without getting depressed and creating some to suicidal thoughts to escape the continual loss and 7 stages of grieving over & over.

that article made sense of why depression was higher in MS than normal population and even compared to other chronic illness. ms was higher for depression.
                  xxxxxxxxxxx

Comment

I don't know why there's such a wide variation among authoritative sources as to the suicide rate in MS. Here's a very good article on depression & suicide from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ion/index.aspx

It says that "one study" found that people with MS were 7.5 times more likely to commit suicide than the general population.

Whatever the statistics are, the risk of suicide is a real concern and discussing it openly can only be helpful IMHO.

Comment

I told my husband about this thread and he freaked out. Thought I was considering it. I'm bipolar, mostly major depressive, and the one thing that has kept me from committing suicide in the past is I don't want someone to have to tell my kids why I voluntarily took my own life. DH knows that may not hold true for the next 40 years, though, if my disability gets too great and the kids are adults, etc. He came to me last night and told me if I ever get to "that place", we would talk about it.
                      Diagnosis: May, 2008
                      Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

I've always said I'd never consider it because I'd be terrified I'd mess up and end up in worse shape than I already was.

I've been dating a wonderful man for over a year and his son shot himself when he was 16. That was over 10 years ago and this wonderful man still agonizes over it. He feels if his son had really loved him that he would have never taken his life. The son had a lot of issues and was in counseling as was the entire family. Since being so close to someone that has gone through this personally, seeing his hurt, guilt, helplessness and living constantly with 'what if I had ...... or what if I hadn't.......'

I agree that if anyone is considering this as an answer, please talk to someone. I'm sure there are times this seems the only answer, but I have to believe there must be a better one.

{{{{HUGS}}}} to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by RenInKy View Post
                          I've always said I'd never consider it because I'd be terrified I'd mess up and end up in worse shape than I already was.

I've been dating a wonderful man for over a year and his son shot himself when he was 16. That was over 10 years ago and this wonderful man still agonizes over it. He feels if his son had really loved him that he would have never taken his life. The son had a lot of issues and was in counseling as was the entire family. Since being so close to someone that has gone through this personally, seeing his hurt, guilt, helplessness and living constantly with 'what if I had ...... or what if I hadn't.......'

I agree that if anyone is considering this as an answer, please talk to someone. I'm sure there are times this seems the only answer, but I have to believe there must be a better one.

Your friends story breaks my heart. Every year we participate in a community walk, Out of the Darkness, at the University of Cincinnati. Posting the link for you in case you would like to consider coming up. The walk is inspirational, a day to remember those we have lost. Coming together is healing. Our group is Matt's Crusaders.

http://afsp.donordrive.com/index.cfm...s&eventID=1527

Comment

Originally posted by RenInKy View Post

Can talking to someone pay my bills because I took 2weeks of fmla off to take care of me,only to return to work this past monday,as a nurse,no less,and here I am wiped from caring for others,in bed,cant do the things I want,account overdrawn,cant pay my car payment...and i need to add,i live so simply it would floor most of u. What makes me happy,is surfing,kayaking,yoga....but,i am a servant to the sick,and end of week,im sick,broke,angry,hopeless,yeah,suicidal. So,what is talking to somone gonna do. i feel this depression is situational with a huge dash of the ms depression sprinkled on it.

Comment

Well, I'll be honest, and admit I have thought about it.

Not right now, because I can still work(desk work), have medical benefits to fight this, and walk to some extent.
                              I can't do much else unless I am sitting.

If I get to the point of not being able to work, have no benefits, and become even MORE of a burden to my wonderful wife (I have to watch her do everything now), I would consider it as long as she wouldn't lose insurance benefits for me.
                              I would do it quietly, painless, and no mess.

I agree with Julie. I don't need to "talk" to someone. I know exactly why I would do this. Every day is a chore the whole time I am awake, but at least I am in no pain.
                              I have had a great life, great wife, a lot of great vacations, and I am getting tired of living on my couch.

I'll see how things go in the future, but it is an option.

I am not crazy or severly depressed...just a realist.

Comment

Working...
                              X