Neuro visit....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neuro visit....

wnet pretty well. Though the MRI showed no changes my neuro said he is convinced I have some active lesions that are just not showing up. Thsi is my first flare and my first experience with steroids. He decided at the last minute to put me on oral steroids. I am taking 60mg for 4 days. I am totally clueless as to how strong a dosage this is. My neuro said it was a strong dose. I guess I will see how this goes.
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Good, glad your visit went well and you are being treated.

But.. weren't you also having single eye pain?

If that is true, I hope you are getting it checked out by a neuro ophlamologist. Neuros just aren't as accurate.

Hugs, Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Yes MJ Ihave an appt. with a Neuro-Ophth on the 27th.
      Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
      Babe Ruth

Comment

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
        He decided at the last minute to put me on oral steroids. I am taking 60mg for 4 days. I am totally clueless as to how strong a dosage this is. My neuro said it was a strong dose.
        60 mg per day is a substantial dose. (It's high enough to cause psychosis in some people.) There are many conditions that are treated with 60 mg. Conversely, there are some eye conditions that used to be treated with 60 mg but the treatment has been revised markedly upward because experience showed that the dose still wasn't high enough to be effective.

Up until about 1990, optic neuritis was conventionally treated with 60 mg of prednisone for a week. But the Optic Neuritis Treatment Trial found that test subjects who took 60 mg of prednisone were more likely to have another episode of ON than were those subjects who were treated with IV Solu-Medrol (equivalent of 1000 per day for 3 days) and those subjects who were not treated with steroids at all. The researchers issued a bulletin that warned against the use of oral steroids (which now more specifically means low-dose orals) for the treatment of ON.

So 60 mg is a significant dose, but is contraindicated for optic neuritis. For ON, the recommendation is high dose steroids (IV or equivalent oral) or no steroids at all.

Comment

Working...
        X