immuneoglobin deficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

immuneoglobin deficiency

Has anyone been diagnosed or even heard about this problem? I was recently diagnosed and am concerned about the treatment. It seem counter productive to take meds to suppress my immune system and at the same time get monthly infusions of meds to boost my immune system.

My neuro says it is okay but before I sign on for treatments that cannot be stopped once they are started and of course, are very expensive, I would really like to get some more info.

This is something so specialized, that I think you have to rely on your neuro for information, or seek a second opinion. There are at least 5 different types of immunoglobin deficiency, and the answer might well depend on which on you have. I've underlined the more relevant bits.

I'd say if it's the most common form, you really need to do it, because that one (IGg) is responsible for healthy immune response to a wide variety of viruses. Here's some info from a medical dictionary.

All antibodies are made by B-lymphocytes (B-cells). Any disease that harms the development or function of B-cells will cause a decrease in the amount of antibodies produced. Since antibodies are essential in fighting infectious diseases, people with immunoglobulin deficiency syndromes become ill more often. However, the cellular immune system is still functional, so these patients are more prone to infection caused by organisms usually controlled by antibodies. Most of these invading germs (microbes) make capsules, a mechanism used to confuse the immune system. In a healthy body, antibodies can bind to the capsule and overcome the bacteria's defenses. The bacteria that make capsules include the streptococci, meningococci, and Haemophilus influenzae. These organisms cause such diseases as otitis, sinusitis, pneumonia, meningitis, osteomyelitis, septic arthritis, and sepsis. Patients with immunoglobulin deficiencies are also prone to some viral infections, including echovirus, enterovirus, and hepatitis B. They may also have a bad reaction to the attenuated version of the polio virus vaccine.

There are two types of immunodeficiency diseases: primary and secondary. Secondary disorders occur in normally healthy bodies that are suffering from an underlying disease. Once the disease is treated, the immunodeficiency is reversed. Immunoglobulin deficiency syndromes are primary immunodeficiency diseases, occurring because of defective B-cells or antibodies. They account for 50% of all primary immunodeficiencies, and they are, therefore, the most prevalent type of immunodeficiency disorders.

Comment

whoa, so way over my head.
      i'm so sorry for your dx that has you scared and worried. i'll send up a prayer that you'll be able to get some answers and help!

take care & God bless ya!
      "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

I was tested for Celiac disease and found to be IgA borderline deficient. I don't have to have treatment for it, as far as I know. No one ever really gave me any idea what it meant. I also didn't have Celiac disease. (Sorry, I know this was probably no help at all.)

Hope all goes well for you.

Hugs and prayers,

Lisa
        Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
        Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
        Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Working...
        X